The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
aawa
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

ABT's, moinks, pig shots, armadillo eggs, and stuff fatties for apps are easy and quick to do.
Ribs and chicken for main course as they cook quick compared to pork butt and brisket.

Those are thing things if I was limited to 6hrs of cook time with 1 hour to rest going at low and slow (below 250)

Now if I was cooking 275-300+ I would do pork butts for pulled pork or a brisket.

Now if you want pork butts or brisket but want to cook at low and slow, do an overnight cook. Start it off low and slow. Then when you wake up turn up the heat so that you can finish it before your needed time. Then pull wrap in foil and rest in a cooler or oven. The big hunks of meat will stay hot for 4+ hours in a cooler. My last party I did 4 pork butts and a brisket. I foiled and put in a cooler and would pull a pork butt out and shred them when needed throughout the party. The last pork butt was pulled at 10pm and was still hot from when i pulled it off the cooker at 2PM.

Unread 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorhouse View Post
My wife invited 8 of our friends and their 4 young children over for BBQ on Saturday. Unfortunately, with another commitment I have, I can't start cooking until 11:00. As we would like to serve dinner at 6:30, that does not leave much time, probably 6 hours to cook and an hour to rest.

I have had great success with a couple of pork butts and a brisket, but those took quite a bit more time than I have. Can anyone suggest any good ideas that I can smoke in the time I have? My fall back is burgers and hot dogs. Not terribly exciting, but easy to cook up quickly.
Tri-tip....for the win...

Unread 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

...and then teach your wife how to run the smoker so the next time she invites guests over, you won't be in such a crunch.....

Unread 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
Deanr
Got Wood.

Try turning them on to some pork steaks. Cheap and easy. I fire up my egg and cook about 10 minutes each side. Then I throw them in the slow cooker for about 2 hours on high. I submerge in store sauce mixed with a beer or a little vinegar. Then drizzle with the cooking sauce when they come out.
While they are getting happy in the crock pot it leaves you plenty of time to cook any of the above.
Deanr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
bmoorhouse
Got Wood.

Wow, I really need to broaden my horizons! You guys listed several great ideas. I will bounce some of them off my wife and see what we decide.

As for the overnight cook, that would be a great idea, except I seem to have to adjust my Kamado Joe's vents too much to leave it unattended. I know the grill can handle it, I just have to get better at setting the vents. Eventually...

And of course, now I have to go look up ABT's, moinks, and pig shots as I have never heard of those :)
bmoorhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
Mrfish
Full Fledged Farker

Chicken and ribs is my go to when entertaining. Spatchcock or beer can chicken, and ribs any way you want. Easy Peasy.
Treager
Jambo (Sold)
18" WSM
Webber Summit
Weber 22" Gold One Touch
Mrfish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
bmoorhouse
Got Wood.

After receiving all of your great ideas, I thought I should update the thread. Unfortunately, my son ended up sick Friday night, so we had to cancel the event. Oh well, we are back on later this month, and as I will have time to make some pulled pork, I am really looking forward to it

On a side note, I did look up Pig Shots, and finally cooked them tonight. They were good, but not as good as I was expecting. I think I made three mistakes though....

1) too much cream cheese,
2) not enough brown sugar
3) I got them ready an hour too early, so the sugar had soaked into the cream cheese by the time they went on the grill.

Still, they were good enough that I think I will have to try making them again.
bmoorhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorhouse View Post
On a side note, I did look up Pig Shots, and finally cooked them tonight. They were good, but not as good as I was expecting. I think I made three mistakes though....

1) too much cream cheese,
2) not enough brown sugar
3) I got them ready an hour too early, so the sugar had soaked into the cream cheese by the time they went on the grill.

Still, they were good enough that I think I will have to try making them again.
Funny thing. I did some pig shots yesterday, and for the first time, they sucked. I've made them several times before with fantastic results.

Another funny thing. You just diagnosed my problem too. I went overboard w/ the cream cheese and underboard with the brown sugar. I got Philly Cream Cheese this time, whereas before I've always bought the generic. It puffed up and had these little brown bumps all over it yesterday. It had a burnt taste too. I'll be going back to the generic the next time I do them. I think that the "lower quality" cream cheese might just be a better fit for smoking. Not sure, though. Also, they got done when no one was around and weren't very good an hour later when I served them. These are definitely an appetizer that should go straight from smoker to mouths.
Harrisonville, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!

71-South is offline   Reply With Quote