The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #16
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I have a performer with the gas assisted start. I use it just because it's there. I have lit my chimney in a lot of different ways and I don't think the performer starts it any faster than a weber starter cube does. Obviously some here believe that it does and I suppose it could if you left the burner on for a long time. I typically run my starter for 3 minutes or so and then wait 15-20 mins for the coals to get going fully before cooking. I could have saved $50 buy buying the performer model without the assist. I like the convenience of it. "Worth" is subjective...

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I have a performer with the gas assisted start. I use it just because it's there. I have lit my chimney in a lot of different ways and I don't think the performer starts it any faster than a weber starter cube does. Obviously some here believe that it does and I suppose it could if you left the burner on for a long time. I typically run my starter for 3 minutes or so and then wait 15-20 mins for the coals to get going fully before cooking. I could have saved $50 buy buying the performer model without the assist. I like the convenience of it. "Worth" is subjective...
Good to head you think the assist isn't much faster than cubes since I LOVE using the cubes. Makes me feel better since I don't have the assist function on mine and better about recommending to people to get a Performer without it if they don't mind cubes.

Unread 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
cricky101
On the road to being a farker

I've got a mid-90s Performer I bought on Craig's List a while ago. The tank is past certification so I haven't been able to get it refilled after it ran out. I've just been using a chimney starter and been happy with it. It's worth it for the table and the Weber quality.
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've had my performer with the gas assist for about 2 years now. I've never used the assist. Haven't even bought a bottle of gas for it. I think it's because I really like zoning out watching the chimney catch...and I'm LAZY with a capital "L" y'all.
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
Danny B
Got Wood.

The gas assist is my favorite thing about the Performer. I put chimney starter full of coals on the bottom grate with no paper, oil or anything. Turn on gas for about 5-10 seconds then push the button. Leave gas on for 30-60 seconds tops and thats it. I didn't know it would be that easy.

Unread 05-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #21
gmanNJ
Knows what a fatty is.

+1 on the gas assist. The paper in a chimney makes a mess with the smoke and black ash flying all over. I use a chimney with gas assist and after I see the coals start to smoke I turn the gas off. A small disposable tank lasts forever. For minion nothing easier than 6-8 coals over the gas assist to get em going. Yeah you can use a torch or other but place the coals and push the button is easy to get used to. I love the table but I really dig the 4 legs for stability and the wheels as I cover and push it near the house when cool. I would get the gas assist again if I had to do it over. YMMV

Unread 05-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
solheim
Found some matches.

I use the burner to light the chimney works great.

Unread 05-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
I've got a mid-90s Performer I bought on Craig's List a while ago. The tank is past certification so I haven't been able to get it refilled after it ran out. I've just been using a chimney starter and been happy with it. It's worth it for the table and the Weber quality.
That seems to be the only problem with buying an older Performer with one of the refillable tanks, or any older gas grill I guess. My mom got an older Weber Genesis Redhead in her divorce and I spent days trying to find someone to re-certify or refill the tank as-is. Since she had the old shove-in snap connector on it I ended up having to spend the money on an entirely new twist-on style style setup AND buy the newest style tank.

So be careful if ya go the used route and make sure if it has the little refillable tank that it has a good long while on the certification! Else you'll be hassled for days trying to get her going like I was.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
cricky101
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaughn View Post
That seems to be the only problem with buying an older Performer with one of the refillable tanks, or any older gas grill I guess. My mom got an older Weber Genesis Redhead in her divorce and I spent days trying to find someone to re-certify or refill the tank as-is. Since she had the old shove-in snap connector on it I ended up having to spend the money on an entirely new twist-on style style setup AND buy the newest style tank.

So be careful if ya go the used route and make sure if it has the little refillable tank that it has a good long while on the certification! Else you'll be hassled for days trying to get her going like I was.
I've been looking for a way to switch it up to use the 1lb disposable tanks like the newer models (since we use those for camping too), but haven't had much luck yet.
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote