ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
rbanks123
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Meat Curing?

My brothers and I just made a curing chamber in our garage. It was pretty complicated and doesnt seem to be working as well as we would like. Any meat curing ideas that have worked for anyone out there?
rbanks123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
BBQBeaver
On the road to being a farker

I just use my cantina (cold cellar) in the basement during the winter to make salami. As long as you can control both the temperature and the humidity you should be fine.

When you say doesn't seem to be working, are you getting proper desired temp and humidity and then meat is just not coming out right?

I am asking whether you feel it is the chamber itself or possibly your curing process/ingredients/techniques.

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

American Style Brown Sugar Glazed Holiday Ham

The Brine:

1 gallon water
1-1/2 cups Kosher Salt
2 Packed cups dark brown sugar
1-1/2 ounces of pink salt (Sodium Nitrite)
One 12-15lb with skin and Aitch Bone removed

The Glaze:

1-1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
3/4 cups dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of mince Garlic

Recipe:

Combine all the brine ingredients in a container large enough to hold the ham. Stir to dissolve all the salt and sugar.
Submerge ham in the brine. Weight it down if necessary to keep it fully submerged for 6-8 days (half a day per lb)
Remove ham and rinse thoroughly under cool water. pat dry and place on rack and refrigerate for 12-24 hours to dry.
Smoke the ham at 200 for 2 hours (I used apple and it was awesome)
Meanwhile, mix the brown sugar, Dijon, and garlic in a bowl until smooth. Brush the ham and reserve the remainder.
Continue to smoke the ham at 200 until it reaches internal temp of 155 (4-5 more hours for me)
remove the ham and brush with remaining glaze.
Refrigerate or eat warm right off the pit.

"The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from underneath me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself, 'It's a slip and not a fall.'"
-Abraham Lincoln
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been thinking about a meat curing area too. I wonder if a wine fridge would work. You can regulate the temp for between 40-50º and the humidity.

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Swine Spectator
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

I do some curing. You want to control temp and humidity. My budget solution was to buy a wine fridge. The wine fridge does not dehumidify. It holds 50-55 degrees pretty well. I put a large bowl of salted water in the bottom to help keep the humidity up. It has a small fan that helps circulate the air.

I spent a few bucks on a decent hygrometer, but other than that my overall investment was fairly low.

David

(Former pits: New Braunfel's El Dorado, Stainless Performer)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
rbanks123
Found some matches.

Default Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQBeaver View Post
I just use my cantina (cold cellar) in the basement during the winter to make salami. As long as you can control both the temperature and the humidity you should be fine.

When you say doesn't seem to be working, are you getting proper desired temp and humidity and then meat is just not coming out right?

I am asking whether you feel it is the chamber itself or possibly your curing process/ingredients/techniques.
oh it is for sure our chamber. we purchased a really cheap normal size fridge (might be part of the problem?) and have put a temperature regulator (52 degrees) in it and a humidifier. We dont have a stand alone hygrometer because its built into the humidifier. I think it might be bad though because it just doesnt feel right in there. Maybe we need to build a cellar!!

Unread 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
NBBD
Take a breath!

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanks123 View Post
We dont have a stand alone hygrometer because its built into the humidifier.

Hydrometers are inexpensive so that would be my first stop... Have you looked at any of Marianski books? Great info

NBBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
rbanks123
Found some matches.

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBBD View Post
Hydrometers are inexpensive so that would be my first stop... Have you looked at any of Marianski books? Great info
no i havent looked at them but i have for sure of them. Are there suggestions for hydrometers in there? thanks for the pointers!

Unread 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

A refrigerator will work fine for the purpose. I wanted to use a freezer so by using a line voltage thermostat(I use # G http://www.mcmaster.com/#hvac-temper...ntrols/=mgqw6l) I could use the box for a freezer or a fridge. You plug the fridge into the thermostat, plug the thermostat into a 110 outlet, put the thermocouple in the fridge and set it for the desired temp. As far as humidity, I use a plug n play humidistat from Allied Kenco(http://www.alliedkenco.com/humidistat.aspx). Plug your humidifer into this. Works really good. I think in retro I would have gone with this one tho, http://www.horticulturesource.com/pr...oducts_id=4853
Here is a link for a how to I used http://mattikaarts.com/blog/charcute...ome-the-setup/

Just looked at your blog, http://artisanbros.blogspot.com, seems you already have a handle on it.

Last edited by bluetang; 04-24-2013 at 05:46 PM..
bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
kw
Knows what a fatty is.

Jason Molinari has a pretty good blog on this.

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/
kw is offline   Reply With Quote