MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Saving grace.

My wife has become increasingly critical of any smoked food and I mean any. She claims she just does not care for it anymore, and only can tolerate it if it only has a very light smoke to it. She also has always been a wuss when it comes to any heat or even seasoning for that matter, even pepper is too much for her and it drives me up a wall. I really do try to cook so she can enjoy it but she has become even more critical with each passing day, and less tolerant. I am getting very discouraged and miss not being able to experiment when I see all these great looking, and sounding recipes posted here, but know they would never fly in my house.

Having said all that, I was beginning to question my abilities as a cook, until yesterday. I had smoked some meat for the first time in weeks, mostly stick to grilling of late. My Son and 4 year old grandson now living with me gave me several complements on the last batch of smoked meat which consisted of, country style ribs, sirloin tip roast and a leftover ham destine for a pot of beans. I finally got around to fixing the ham and beans yesterday and my Son just could not get over them, he also said his son would not eat them, but turns out he had thirds with coleslaw and corn bread. My wife on the other hand ask if I had smoked the meat, which I said yes and she complained, why do I have to smoke so much, it has several weeks since I have smoked anything. The sirloin tip roast that I smoked got raves from my daughter, she even tried to sneak the leftovers out of the house.

Anyway I do not know what to do, I just can not stand to eat nothing but bland food for the rest of my life, but I still want her to enjoy her food. I don't want to fire up a smoker just to cook something for myself and then fix her something different. I am confident my cooking abilities are on track just having a hard time dealing with this situation, if it were one of my kids complaining, I would just hand them a coupon to Arby's, and bid them farewell. Anyone else in this boat? Rant over.
Dave

Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

my wife isnt that bad, but she is close.

She cant take anything with any kind of spice in it

I made steak with Oakridge Santa Maria steak seasoning the other night. Not a lot either

Everyone loved it, my wife said it was too spicy.

She does not complain about smoked foods, but I can see it coming, since I got my stick burner a few months ago i have been cooking something on it every weekend.

I will just deal with it I guess. i just dont season her portion any more. About all I can do
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
tish

Yep. My Harvard won't eat beef or pork at all, never mind smoked. So we eat tons of fowl, seafood, and veggies here. If I fire up the smoker, I'll make him a chicken, and then whatever I want for myself. I tailor the seasonings on the chicken to his taste. He likes things hot and spicy. Me, not so much. If he didn't care for the smoke, I'd use just a little, and then finish it in the oven. I try to fill the Keg up, and vacu-suck anything I can't eat right away. Meals are cooked and ready for the next week, and he can take from them whatever he wants. No reason why anyone should have to let this stop them from smoking.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

How many people do you cook for at once?

My wife doesn't like some smoked food and when I cook its for her, me and my in laws. Everyone likes the food most of the time but sometime she doesnt and if she does not like it she doesn't it and will make herself something to eat.

Could you wrap some of it aluminum foil or use a different kind of wood?
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

What about toning down on the smoke?
If you just cooked over charcoal, would she entertain that?
Is it JUST the smoke flavor that she doesn't like?

You could just start using charcoal and/or foiling/covering food to just be able to play with your "outdoor oven". You could still have some stuff in the smoke for you, but wrap up whatever she's gong to eat.

Just a thought.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I always cook a separate portion for my wife and others with similar taste, even if it means using a separate cooker.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
deguerre

My wife's a member here and has her own cooker, so I don't have that problem, but I feel for ya.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
Yep. My Harvard won't eat beef or pork at all, never mind smoked. So we eat tons of fowl, seafood, and veggies here. If I fire up the smoker, I'll make him a chicken, and then whatever I want for myself. I tailor the seasonings on the chicken to his taste. He likes things hot and spicy. Me, not so much. If he didn't care for the smoke, I'd use just a little, and then finish it in the oven. I try to fill the Keg up, and vacu-suck anything I can't eat right away. Meals are cooked and ready for the next week, and he can take from them whatever he wants. No reason why anyone should have to let this stop them from smoking.
I have to laugh, because I have a daughter that won't touch pork or fish of any kind, but one time I fixed two butts and a brisket, which she proceeded to almost single handedly devoured one of the 5 lb butts before knowing that it was not the brisket.
Dave

Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
My wife's a member here and has her own cooker, so I don't have that problem, but I feel for ya.
You and her are a couple lucky folks.
Dave

Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
What about toning down on the smoke?
If you just cooked over charcoal, would she entertain that?
Is it JUST the smoke flavor that she doesn't like?

You could just start using charcoal and/or foiling/covering food to just be able to play with your "outdoor oven". You could still have some stuff in the smoke for you, but wrap up whatever she's gong to eat.

Just a thought.
She loves everything off the gasser or even charcoal but not smoked.
Dave

Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I always cook a separate portion for my wife and others with similar taste, even if it means using a separate cooker.
I have a vertical Bandera that I need to press into service just for that reason, I can smoke on it and grill.
Dave

Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal251 View Post
How many people do you cook for at once?

My wife doesn't like some smoked food and when I cook its for her, me and my in laws. Everyone likes the food most of the time but sometime she doesnt and if she does not like it she doesn't it and will make herself something to eat.

Could you wrap some of it aluminum foil or use a different kind of wood?
Mostly just the two of us but now it is 4. I have stopped using as much if any hickory lately and switched to plain oak, I know it is still strong but I don't use as much of that either. I have toned down my seasoning a lot and I can handle that but I do like my smoked meats.
Dave

Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
deguerre

Have you tried using alder wood?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

My wife hasn't eaten beef in over 20 years. I have it at least 4 times a week. She doesn't like smoke flavored anything except Gouda Cheese. I have used my kamado exclusively for dinners for the last 5 weeks. Living in Florida we basically live outside year round. I have learned to be creative, I use all of my cooking devices and always make her something of a variation, side dishes, vegetables etc. If I am reverse searing a steak I wait till high searing temps and grill here a chicken breast. Basically the over all meal is the same we just enjoy different proteins. Hones your skills and keeps the peace!

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
jestridge

Sometime medication will change a person taste especially spicy foods.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote