The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 04-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

My UDS has approved that my fire basket design is great.
It is BETTER than original kettle blades design.
If you use my fire basket, you do not need to keep original Kettle blades.
I do not think cutout works
But you can set my fire basket on the blades and seal surrounding by clay/mud.
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #17
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Once again I am going to give away ONE fire basket to owner of Weber kettle.
The receiver needs to have a weber kettle, and one of my controller.
The receiver needs only to pay shippiong cost of $30
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #18
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

burning result of fire basket on UDS.
Please note that I add 1" lining by ceramic clay/mud.
I fired the charcoal before the mud is dry.

Fire basket and ash box. All ash does not fall into the ash box.
Ash box also forms an air pass with fire basket.
This way all fresh air pass through charcoal only.
No excess fresh air by-pass to smoker and lower heat efficiency
Also no excess fresh air by-pass, less convention, and more juicy meat.

I burnt this UDS yesterday.
It kept at 105C or 221F for most time. only occassionally 104C.
It burnt just about 1.5 LBS of charcoal

Next step I will add 1" lining around walls and botton by ceramic clay mud, and will wait 2 weeks for clay mud to dry naturally. Then I will fill the smoker with branch/chip/chunks, and then seal it on top by mud. and make 3 holes on mud seal for ventinlation.
Finally will start fire from bottom. I expect to burn for 1 to 2 days and maximum temp 600-800C or 1100F to 1470F. This will transfer clay to low temperature pottery.
By then I will have my kamado!
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Being that this thread was titled "fire basket to upgrade WEBER KETTLE" I was speaking specifically for kettle use only and not for your version of the PBC.

If I were to remove the three blades as you suggested there would be 3 air inlets which I would no longer have control over:

If I cannot control air flow I cannot control temps manually. If theres no desire on your part to make this work with the Kettle I would suggest deleting this thread to avoid confusion. I thought your design had functional merit but there was a design flaw with the blades being in the way.

Also, you give the option to a Kettle user of having basically half the cooking space(1x 22inch grill) of a UDS for $60, this is in a very good price point to be competitive for what you are offering. There is very little installation for the user if you can find a way for the basket to sit tightly/firmly against the blades. Finally, the user still has a fully functioning grill with the removal of fire basket. To me, that takes this design from good to great.

Last edited by Toronto; 04-13-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

I do not have kettel with three blades here in China even though kettle is made in China.
The OEM manufacturers sell to Weber only
If you can give me detailed sizes of kettle and blade, I may find a way.
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Or I can add a flange on bottom of fire basket,which can sit above the three blades.
The question is height from this "big bottom" to the grill.
I need data of Height and Dia.
I worry whether the height is enough or not
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Thats a great idea, you can even sit your basket on the lower charcoal grate and just wrap the grate in tin foil to create a flange.

I have my Kettle tucked away in my shed right now but I will get measurements for you(distance from the lower charcoal grate to the higher grill grate) once I break it out for the year. If I had to venture a guess for the distance I would say its about 8-9 inches. The lower charcoal grate is 19 inches in diameter.

A suggestion, could you make the lid of your fire basket upside down? This way it would catch the drippings for easy clean up instead of allowing it to drip all over the kettle.
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Wrong measurements.
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
Thats a great idea, you can even sit your basket on the lower charcoal grate and just wrap the grate in tin foil to create a flange.

I have my Kettle tucked away in my shed right now but I will get measurements for you(distance from the lower charcoal grate to the higher grill grate) once I break it out for the year. If I had to venture a guess for the distance I would say its about 8-9 inches. The lower charcoal grate is 19 inches in diameter.

A suggestion, could you make the lid of your fire basket upside down? This way it would catch the drippings for easy clean up instead of allowing it to drip all over the kettle.
"sit your basket on the lower charcoal grate and just wrap the grate in tin foil to create a flange.", that is really a great idea than making a flange.
If I add metal flange, size and weight will increase and shipping cost will be much higher. Total I expect extra cost $30

Lid Upside down: the grease will still drip to your kettle. I may need to make a pan. But the the pan is just above the fire. if there is grease on the pan, there is still grease fire.
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe make it a flat surface for the top so people can just buy a disposable pan and use that?

Here is a 14.5 inch Smokey Joe grill on top of the blades:

As you can see the grill needs to be slightly larger to cover all of the blades and create a seal against the walls of the kettle. This may be a solution if your basket turns out to be too tall to fit with the 19 inch charcoal grate.
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
jbryanks
Got rid of the matchlight.

You still make ash , firebox and umbrella for UDS, also Ring for hanging meat with skewers and hooks. If so how much ... U.S.

John
jbryanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

You need a Weber to test it on, it is an intriguing idea. But, you will need to test it in a Weber, as I thing there could be issues. I would prefer not to chuck my OTS (three blades) as it is very useful for shutting the kettle down, and evacuating ash. I would still want that function.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #28
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryanks View Post
You still make ash , firebox and umbrella for UDS, also Ring for hanging meat with skewers and hooks. If so how much ... U.S.

John
Quote:
One set of fire basket/ash box, air pipe, 6 pcs of 20" skewers, 12 pieces of meat hook
ex-works $159, mailing cost $100.
I think you were looking for this thread, found the info above at the bottom of the first post: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=157696

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You need a Weber to test it on, it is an intriguing idea. But, you will need to test it in a Weber, as I thing there could be issues. I would prefer not to chuck my OTS (three blades) as it is very useful for shutting the kettle down, and evacuating ash. I would still want that function.
I decided to take one for the team and took up Wang on his offer to send this for $30. Ill see if I can make something out of tinfoil to make a flange for the basket.
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #29
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryanks View Post
John
ash , firebox and umbrella for UDS, 12 pieces of hooks, US$200, free mail.
No ring, no skewer.
You can use two bars like in PBC
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #30
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Even though Weber is made in China, I can not buy in China