The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
willbird
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 06-30-12
Location: MOntpelier,OH
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

If you have a buddy with a lathe you can get him to drill a hole right down the middle of a hex head bolt for you to get a nicer fit on some thermo's than the lamp parts.

You might still be able to make a ring to fit inside the drum to guide the drips down into the drum ?? How to fasten it to the bowl....hmmmm. If you could find stainless strip, and a guy with a tig welder......:-).


I have a smaller drum like that for a mini uds but am haunting CL for a the smaller weber for a lid.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
BobBill
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 04-11-13
Location: Winona, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I forgot to add. If you go with a salad bowl, you do not need hook inside the cover or lid to hang on rim like on the Webers, just add one extras ss bolt or screw to the ones that stabilize" the lid to the drum in wind etc...a couple inches one side or the other. I use the ss chimney my son got from someplace to move lid around.
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
BobBill
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 04-11-13
Location: Winona, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
If you have a buddy with a lathe you can get him to drill a hole right down the middle of a hex head bolt for you to get a nicer fit on some thermo's than the lamp parts.

You might still be able to make a ring to fit inside the drum to guide the drips down into the drum ?? How to fasten it to the bowl....hmmmm. If you could find stainless strip, and a guy with a tig welder......:-).


I have a smaller drum like that for a mini uds but am haunting CL for a the smaller weber for a lid.

Bill
+1...Will, thanks. I figure I better see how bad it is first...

I was going to have a friend drill a hole in a bolt, but he said

I should find a nut that fits the screw (6 metric) part or just drill any larger ss one out and have someone spot weld the nut to the metal and screw the thermometer in when in use and fill with short bolt when not, if that makes sense.

Weber top makes sense to me. You have a college community nearby, hit that area shortly...for Weber stuff at reduced prices :]
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
BobBill
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 04-11-13
Location: Winona, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

The price at Instawares is noted on the link and < 16 $coots!

And it is what I ordered...

http://www.instawares.com/winco-30qt...m?s_cseid=NXTG

Last edited by BobBill; 04-12-2013 at 02:17 PM..
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
willbird
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 06-30-12
Location: MOntpelier,OH
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
+1...Will, thanks. I figure I better see how bad it is first...

I was going to have a friend drill a hole in a bolt, but he said

I should find a nut that fits the screw (6 metric) part or just drill any larger ss one out and have someone spot weld the nut to the metal and screw the thermometer in when in use and fill with short bolt when not, if that makes sense.

Weber top makes sense to me. You have a college community nearby, hit that area shortly...for Weber stuff at reduced prices :]
OK you have a threaded thermo, the ones I have were from the turkey fryer kits and they just have a smooth stem around 1/8" in dia, no threads.

I have not had major luck finding any weber deals on CL.
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
BobBill
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 04-11-13
Location: Winona, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
OK you have a threaded thermo, the ones I have were from the turkey fryer kits and they just have a smooth stem around 1/8" in dia, no threads.

I have not had major luck finding any weber deals on CL.
Yes, my son reminded me of that also...his thermo is not threaded. I had not thought of that being different etc.

I think a plain nut drilled smooth for sensor shaft would work. I am figuring in future I might end up with such a thermo too.

Whatever works, seems the common theme. I still figure to put in top and factor in temp diff when reading and put reminder on edge somehow...no clue...baking cinnamon rolls at moment, can't do squat for the rain and snow, and it is too early to swig.

CL listings vary all over the place...when local college ends sessions, cruise around and/or post a wanted note on union bulletin board. We have two Universities here and sometimes the students just leave the kettles...

And you have to understand, I have no clue what I am doing - :]
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
BobBill
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 04-11-13
Location: Winona, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
If you have a buddy with a lathe you can get him to drill a hole right down the middle of a hex head bolt for you to get a nicer fit on some thermo's than the lamp parts.

You might still be able to make a ring to fit inside the drum to guide the drips down into the drum ?? How to fasten it to the bowl....hmmmm. If you could find stainless strip, and a guy with a tig welder......:-).


I have a smaller drum like that for a mini uds but am haunting CL for a the smaller weber for a lid.

Bill
Bill, Yes, I was not smart enough to think of adding tall metal to top of drum to get height, before I plunked the $coots (16) for the bowl. Might be cheaper and quicker, but offer neg consequences...oh well...well I did, sorta, but the shiny thing got me...like a flashing chicksa...
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #23
willbird
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 06-30-12
Location: MOntpelier,OH
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
Bill, Yes, I was not smart enough to think of adding tall metal to top of drum to get height, before I plunked the $coots (16) for the bowl. Might be cheaper and quicker, but offer neg consequences...oh well...well I did, sorta, but the shiny thing got me...like a flashing chicksa...
There are SO many ways to skin a cat, and the worst part is to get high centered and do nothing at all because you cannot choose a course :-).
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #24
BobBill
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 04-11-13
Location: Winona, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

:] Yep...makes more sense to me.
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts