The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #61
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StokeMySmoke View Post
DigiQ DX for overnighters and beef jerky. It's all about getting sleep and not having to worry what's going on with the fire at 3:00 in the morning.
Great for controlling really low temp (165 degrees) for beef jerky.
That is great to know, beef jerky is on my list for this summer. I have a big joe kamado on the way.... Gonna grab a guru wifi so I can monitor my coos, temps and just caz they're cool.

Unread 04-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds9547 View Post
Never had a grease fire in my smoker and anyone who says they sit by their pit for 16 hours while butts are cooking is FOS.

I have a guru DigiQ and I love it for overnight cooks. I use it on my 22.5 WSM when I smoke butts or whole hams. Temp holds at 235 all night. I just purchased a LBGE last month and it seems to hold temps very well but if I do an overnight cook in it I will use the DigiQ on it as well.
Sick. I'd sure like to see some threads on these BGE cooks.

Unread 04-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #63
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
So if you have a wi-fi one and it tells you your temps are either high or low, and you're gone for 5-10 hours, what good does it do?

You can adj pit temps over the Internet with any tablet, smartphone, laptop, iPod or any other device that will connect to al gores Internet :)

Unread 04-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #64
snakyjake
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0

I have the Maverick and the wireless is limited by range. The pit temperature alarm is nice to let you know when you need to get out of bed to adjust the control in the freezing rain.

I'm tempted to get a wifi version that is completely automated. This gives me a lot of flexibility to run errands, full night sleep, cook while at work, better range, and more. The more convenient, the more I cook.

I want a simple device for the home cooker, weatherproof, durable, great quality, and at a reasonable cost. There's still a lot of room for improvement in the market, and I haven't found one that really fits into my criteria. But the WiFi Stoker catches my attention.

Jake
snakyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #65
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
I have the Maverick and the wireless is limited by range. The pit temperature alarm is nice to let you know when you need to get out of bed to adjust the control in the freezing rain.

I'm tempted to get a wifi version that is completely automated. This gives me a lot of flexibility to run errands, full night sleep, cook while at work, better range, and more. The more convenient, the more I cook.

I want a simple device for the home cooker, weatherproof, durable, great quality, and at a reasonable cost. There's still a lot of room for improvement in the market, and I haven't found one that really fits into my criteria. But the WiFi Stoker catches my attention.

Jake
I want one that will chop my wood into nice little splits while I sleep

;)
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #66
DubfromGA
is one Smokin' Farker

My pit temps have all been controlled by simple tweaks of the vents.

I use my Maverick ET-732 to monitor.

I set the alarms for overnight cooks and also set my cellphone alarm to wake up every so often and glance at the readout.

Most overnight cooks, though, find me enjoying a cold beer and catching up on my favorite shows via DVR or AppleTV: Justified, Son's, etc.

Unread 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #67
mtdew456
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I use my Heatermeter that I built to control my claypot Imperial Kamado for long overnight cooks. Don't really need it as the claypot holds temps very well, but it is nice so that I can get some sleep and not worry about it. Also, if things get out of control, my Heatermeter will send me a text message when a certain alert temperature is reached.
mtdew456 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #68
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Q: What do I use for temperature control on my smoker(s)?

A: Knowledge and experience.

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #69
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 1

Auber on a UDS with a 20 cfm fan....
Future Smoker
$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!!

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #70
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

Mexican ATC (The "Solamenteme").

Two pipe nipples and a ball valve.

Building my own now that I have my UDS pretty much dialed in.

It's based on the Arduino, and the code is written. I just need to hook it up to the UDS with some chicken thighs and do the damn thing.

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #71
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Q: What do I use for temperature control on my smoker(s)?

A: Knowledge and experience.
Well played, well played.....