The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

if it grade beef it should be the same or close,
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
If a cut is stamped prime or choice oe select, it is done so based on certain specifications. Its not graded on a curve. The drought may have affected beef, but a prime cut is a prime cut...or am I being naive?

Having said that, I went out to a high end restaurant last night and was severely disappointed. My 22 oz Porterhouse was closer to 18 oz and at $49 a la carte was a rip off. My date order a petite filet mignon and half of it was hard as a rock and the center was void of flaver (her words). The $50 bottle of vino was good though.
I never ever accept a poor steak at a high end restaurant, it is the easiest dish to get right.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
Just BS
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I never ever accept a poor steak at a high end restaurant, it is the easiest dish to get right.
I was. In too much of a hurry to get my date home and naked.

Honestly, is there any steak worth $50? Its all about the atmosphere, which was also disappointing. However, our date night out was a huge success!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
landarc

Yes, there is a steak that is worth $50. Now, is there one better than getting a woman home, naked and happy, well, no, I'll trade steak for that anytime.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I would prequalify this as your problem. NO 2 briskets are alike. Cooking meats to identical time and temp will give you maybe 50% success. You need to cook each piece to the same FEEL. Size of brisket, marbeling, aging all have to do with how that 1 piece will cook.
For example, i cook 32-48 briskets every night. I start probing around 12 hrs and pull the last 1 off maybe 15 hrs later.
Try to learn when a piece of meat is finished by feel rather than time and temp.
A year ago, I would have argued with you to no end. I can do it by feel as well, that's how I learned. It was when I started competing that I started working on a timed cook. With FAR better than 50-50 success. This year, it's been 50-50. So, it's back to the tried and true. I'll give myself some more time, and work around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I haven't noticed any kind of a trend. I have always found good meat and not so good meat on a pretty random basis. I buy choice ribeyes from COSTCO regularly, and have only had a few that weren't up to my expectations.

I buy chuck for grinding, and it seems pretty normal.

Are you buying from Hirsch's?

CD
Only when I need Wagyu. But I do have a lot of respect for that market. I'm loyal to my current butcher, because I've had a lot of success with his product, far more success than failures. And today, I feel my failures are my own, and not the meat.

The thing I still feel pretty confident about is that my time/temp process works like a charm on premium quality/highly graded beef. Always has. But this past year has really got me to realize what so many on here have preached for a long time. The meat will tell you when it's ready. A very minor and easy adjustment for me at a comp, or in the back yard.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by Gig'em99; 04-07-2013 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: grammar
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->