Anyone ever over rubbed their ribs?

I do a light coat about a half hour before and then sometimes another light coat about half way through. Although, lately I have only been sprinkling a little salt and pepper on at the beginning and some vinegar sauce at the table. :heh: Good stuff.

What about applying the rub the night before then covering with plastic wrap in the fridge until the next day? It soaks in good. I did a heavy recoat right before putting them on.

Seems like last time I did that, the rub made them a bit too spicy and salty. I have gone back to rubbing the ribs just a couple of hours prior to smoking.

I feel like rub is also all about the practice and the season to taste method. I know its hard and even I forget to do it all of the time is measure EVERYTHING and take notes each cook. It makes it easier to try and replicate your successful cooks. When I cook St Louis I use a tablespoon of rub per side, baby backs half a table spoon or less. I still want to see the meat showing through but also the rub should be noticeable to the eyes. This is what works for me, but may be too much/too little for others. It also depends on the rub and what is in it. Heavy salt will get pelicle, heavy sugar need to watch it burning and turning black etc... Measure Measure Measure

Depends if you want your ribs to taste like pork or the rub. The rub is a "seasoning" intended to inhance the flavor of what it's on, not to be the dominant flavor. I also use a very light coat of no salt rub the night before then a tight wrap with plastic.
The worst example of over use of rub is the Rendezvous in Memphis. All you can taste is the rub.

I used to rub everything the night before. But I've found this isn't necessary on ribs and not really on a butt or a brisket. I like to give 'em a few hours, but thats it.

I used to rub everything the night before. But I've found this isn't necessary on ribs and not really on a butt or a brisket. I like to give 'em a few hours, but thats it.

Agreed. I use to stress like crazy to get all my racks rubbed and wrapped the night before. Really no need to do this on such a thin piece of pork. Trim, season and let the rub sit on while you're getting your fire lit and your temps stable

I've always had a tendency to over season, so I really try to watch it. Really what it comes down to is personal taste and perception. What one calls a light rub another may see as over rubbed. With trial and error you'll eventually find what is just right for you.
There is a lot of great advice here, but Mahoney86 is spot on. Keeping an acurate record of your cooks can be a real PITA sometimes, but when you find the process that really hits your hot button, it does pay off. I hate it when I cook something on the fly that comes out just spectacular, but I can't replicate it, cuz I didn't really pay careful attention to what I did.

KC

I've overdone it by a mile once or twice when I was new to the game.

Less is almost always more, i've learned. An underseasoned but well cooked rib is still delicious, an overseasoned one makes you want to eat something else.

If you have a sweet rub, you have to put a LOT on to ruin them, but if you have more of a spicy/hot rub, too much is awful.

I feel like rub is also all about the practice and the season to taste method. I know its hard and even I forget to do it all of the time is measure EVERYTHING and take notes each cook. It makes it easier to try and replicate your successful cooks. When I cook St Louis I use a tablespoon of rub per side, baby backs half a table spoon or less. I still want to see the meat showing through but also the rub should be noticeable to the eyes. This is what works for me, but may be too much/too little for others. It also depends on the rub and what is in it. Heavy salt will get pelicle, heavy sugar need to watch it burning and turning black etc... Measure Measure Measure

LOL, I'm exactly the opposite. I sprinkle a little bit of dis, a little bit of dat. No two cooks turn out the same. It's about the cooking process, not the exactness of the rub for me.

I too am guilty of over-rubbing. I ruined a perfectly good rack of Berkshire spares :(

I have always marveled at the amount of rub I see used in some cooking shows. I tend to go on the light side. Sometimes I wonder if I need to use a little more. But, I like the smoke to do most of the work.

The first time i did ribs without a deflector in my uds, i rubbed them the night before, then rubbed them again before going out to light the drum.

When they were done they had a real hard bark on them and were barely edible and they did not get rave reviews:shock:

Back