The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default WSM observations and questions

Greetings Brethren,

I have one cook under my belt on the WSM and I have a couple of questions.

I started out with an 8 lb. bag of lump and lit it using the minion method. All three bottom vents set at 25% open until the temp reached about 180° (top vent wide open) and then I closed two bottom vents with the 3rd set at about 25% open. Temp settled in around 250° (Dome thermometer) and only fluctuated by about ±20° for the duration of a 5 hour cook with a 13 lb. ham and a foiled water pan.

White smoke poured from every crack and crevice of the WSM (the door I expected) for about 30 minutes before there was no visible smoke at all (I didn't use any smoking wood).

Does that time sound right?

When I went to clean it, I was a little surprised at how much charcoal had been burnt for 5 hours. I'm guessing it's because it isn't seasoned and is pulling air in from the joints (lid, barrel, bowl) of the cooker, but was hoping for feedback from others.

I really did my homework here before I even bought it and let me tell you, she is a solid cooker. I was almost bored not having to fiddle around with it during the cook.

I was going to replace the door with the Cajun Bandit SS one, but I'm not sure I need to now.

Dave

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

That will be normal until you get a few cooks on her. She'll need a few cooks to seal up the cracks with some good gunk! Wait...that sounded woodpilish.
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Pat.

Does the door eventually seal up also?

Dave

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Dave View Post
Thanks Pat.

Does the door eventually seal up also?

Dave
Yes, Sir. Mine did the same thing.

After three cooks, four butts each cook, she stopped leaking completely.
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
BobM
Babbling Farker

What Pat said.
I tweaked my door a little to get it to seal up better.
My WSM still leaks a bit, but it doesn't affect the cooks at all.
| Maverick ET-732 |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dave,
If it doesn't stop leaking, some of the components (usually the center section) might be out of round. If you don't have temp control issues, and if the fire goes out when you close all of the vents, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have issues, measure all of the components and adjust them accordingly. You can tweak the door a little to get it to fit properly too.
When I fire up a WSM, I open all of the bottom vents 100%. As my dome temp approaches my target (usually at about 220) I shut all three vents down to about 1/3, then tweak as necessary to achieve and hold my desired dome temp.
Congratulations on a successful first cook!
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Dave,
If it doesn't stop leaking, some of the components (usually the center section) might be out of round. If you don't have temp control issues, and if the fire goes out when you close all of the vents, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have issues, measure all of the components and adjust them accordingly. You can tweak the door a little to get it to fit properly too.
When I fire up a WSM, I open all of the bottom vents 100%. As my dome temp approaches my target (usually at about 220) I shut all three vents down to about 1/3, then tweak as necessary to achieve and hold my desired dome temp.
Congratulations on a successful first cook!
Thanks Clark.

What had me puzzled was that I was controlling the temp with one vent and at one point it was almost completely closed. I started to suspect it was drawing air in from around the joints.

One more question, do you folks ever have to "give it a kick" to prevent ash build up? I didn't this time, but it was only a 5 hour cook.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
One more question, do you folks ever have to "give it a kick" to prevent ash build up?
Depends on the fuel you're using I guess.
Natural products (lump, Royal Oak Chefs Select briqs, Rancher briqs, Stubb's briqs) seem to produce significantly less ash reducing the possibility of ash clogging.
I love my WSMs to much to kick them, but if I have temp issues, I'll poke the coals through the access door to knock some of the ash off.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I love my WSMs to much to kick them, but if I have temp issues, I'll poke the coals through the access door to knock some of the ash off.
Oh my gosh, I just noticed your sig, you have 10 WSM's??????????

I am humbled sir.

Dave

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
As my dome temp approaches my target (usually at about 220) I shut all three vents down to about 1/3, then tweak as necessary to achieve and hold my desired dome temp.
Is there a difference in temp control, if you shut down 2 vents and just use one?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Is there a difference in temp control, if you shut down 2 vents and just use one?
yeap, I want to know that too.
Big Nasty - 22.5 WSM
BFF - 18.5 WSM
Little Blackie - Mak 1 Star #69
1/2 hp cabelas grinder
5lb lem stuffer.
sparky' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
BobM
Babbling Farker

Quote:
One more question, do you folks ever have to "give it a kick" to prevent ash build up?
I use a scrap of wood to hit the legs every one in a while during a cook.

Quote:
I generally keep two vents closed and control the temperature with the third vent.
| Maverick ET-732 |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Cayman1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Probably only difference is that the charcoal in the area where the vent is open may burn before the coals in the area where the vents are closed. I notice this when I use my Auber. Where the fan is will burn quicker.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
Probably only difference is that the charcoal in the area where the vent is open may burn before the coals in the area where the vents are closed. I notice this when I use my Auber. Where the fan is will burn quicker.
Well I've read that a lot of these cabinet smoker guys will light their fire on the opposite side of their ATC, so the fire will burn towards it. I kinda do the same with my WSM. I put a couple starter cubes just off center of my lump stack and let it burn towards my IQ. It seems to work ok.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

When all else fails, you can always go the Nomex gasket route.

http://www.bbqgaskets.com/catalog_4.html