ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
Thank the elected officials in DC for a lot of this problem, they are the ones that passed the requirement that 30% or so of all corn production must go to produce ethanol. Never mind about food for people or livestock. Di**heads!

I think it is a location thing though, I just paid $3.39 for CAB packers.
Or you could thank the corn lobbyists who pushed for laws making it illegal to sell ethanol that is not corn sourced.

Truth is, there is low cost beef out there, but, you have to want the right cut in the right location. Right now, tri-tip could not be easier to find out here. Cheap and plentiful, and some really good looking ones. No kidding though, many of the higher end butcher shops are selling brisket and even packers, if you ask. And that is really different from the past in CA.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Our closest Sam's recently LOWERED the price on their choice packers from 2.48/lb. (which they were all last year) to 2.28/lb.

RD had choice packers in their last flyer here for 2.29/lb./case, 2.44/lb. unit.

Just heard on the news that corn futures are falling due to record acreage planted; maybe that will help negate the rising cost of beef? Still, if you've got a freezer...

Go figure...
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
mbshop
Babbling Farker

yea, briskets here have held steady and reasonable so far. but stuff like t bone steaks have gone nuts. $9 a pound ? forgetaboutit !

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

But here's what's nuts. They can run a sale on NY Strips at $3.99/lb? Doesn't make sense to my feeble mind.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
Gulf Coast Blue
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Not mine they never put ANYTHING ON SALE because they have a Monopoly out here in the sticks.
I used to have to travel to Meridian, Clifton and McGregor periodically for work.....you are right, you are limited in your choices nearby. The town I now live in is about 3000 people....but Lake Jackson is just 15 miles away.
Gulf Coast Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

I found a food service company that caters to restaurants and independent groceries, you know those smaller semi's with all the fancy food graphics that do the deliveries. In our little part of north Florida we have two pretty good sized operations so I'm pretty confident there are regional counterparts pretty much everywhere. Anyhow, I found one that has a will call desk that will sell to the public and they have everything from meats to paper products & condiments. The only catch: you need to purchase in their case lots. For choice brisket that's 5 15 pounders per case for about $2.50 per pound. Pork spare ribs, 9 racks 36 pounds per case for $2.00 per pound. I've found the quality excellent.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
stl-rich
Take a breath!

In STL Sam's club has packers for more than $4/pound. Pork loins are $2/pound and the pork in almost 100% edible. Guess which we've been eating :-)
stl-rich is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #23
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
WOW!
Tomball HEB had brisket for 99 cents a pound this past weekend
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
tish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
I haven't cooked a full packer brisket in over 4 years due to their price. I can buy all natural 8-10 pound bone in pork butts all day long at Wegmans for less than $12 each and yet 10-14 pound briskets at Wal-Mart run around $45-$60. I simply can't afford that and the worst part is that Wally World carries the bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. I couldn't imagine what others are paying for packers that are actually a better grade.
Wow. You're paying $4.50/lb. for brisket at your Wally World? We're paying $2/lb. less at our WW here in PA. Guess I'm just not understanding how the same store charges different prices to that extent in different areas.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
<'\__!
.// .\\ Puppy baby says 'piss on it and walk away!'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
Wow. You're paying $4.50/lb. for brisket at your Wally World? We're paying $2/lb. less at our WW here in PA. Guess I'm just not understanding how the same store charges different prices to that extent in different areas.
We're paying up to $3.07/lb here and as low as $2.67/lb depending on when they decide to run sales or not. So do the math. Even at $2.67/lb you're still paying $32 for a 12 lb brisket and that's not including sales tax which would push it to $35. Trust me, it sux.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #26
tish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
We're paying up to $3.07/lb here and as low as $2.67/lb depending on when they decide to run sales or not. So do the math. Even at $2.67/lb you're still paying $32 for a 12 lb brisket and that's not including sales tax which would push it to $35. Trust me, it sux.
I believe it. That's nasty.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
<'\__!
.// .\\ Puppy baby says 'piss on it and walk away!'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #27
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

2.38-2.48 a pound here in North Alabama. That would include Sams or Kroger for Choice packer briskets. At that price it seems like a no brianer vs Ribeye or New York Strip. Ground beef ( 73/27 ) is 2.49 a pound. So we buy 12 pound packers for less than 30 dollars, cook, vaccum seal, and eat. We can always find pork butts for around 1.00 per pound. I like them both, but the truth is pork is not beef, and beef is not pork. If I want a big slice of beef, a pulled pork sandwhich is not going to fix that.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
In Maryland it has always been expensive ($5/pound is a good price here and I've seen select for $9/pound at regular grocery stores) and we have ZERO BBQ tradition and few places that even sell BBQ. BBQ is all about taking cheap cuts of meat and making them taste good. It doesn't have to be brisket. I'm very happy to cook chuckies and they're less than half the price. They're also easier and very tasty. I love brisket, but I'm not a brisket snob.
Gore, I don't know where you are but there is fair priced brisket in MD. You have to look for it as the demand for packers is low.

Unread 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Gore, I don't know where you are but there is fair priced brisket in MD. You have to look for it as the demand for packers is low.
Thanks, I haven't seen any in my area. I still check the local stores from time to time, but I can't recall seeing less than $5/ pound in I don't know how long. Even our Costco is never below $5/pound if they even have it at all.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #30
Daggs
Full Fledged Farker

I'm getting flats for $2.48 at my local SAMs. The order got screwed up and I was told I could have flats at packer price!