MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFatties View Post
I used to use Stubbs briquettes from lowes but now I find kingsford blue 16.6 lb bags at a local closeout store for 3.99 once or twice a year and buy them out when I do.
Don't know what that had to do with anything just wanted to brag about that deal I guess. I don't see the big deal about stubbs.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
smokeinthenoke
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFatties View Post
Don't know what that had to do with anything just wanted to brag about that deal I guess. I don't see the big deal about stubbs.
IMO, Stubbs gives the food a better flavor, much like lump or wood, since it is all natural and doesn't have coal, fillers or other non-wood ingredients (other than a vegetable binder) like most standard charcoal. After using Stubb's I will never go back to Kingsford blue, I think it gives my food an off-putting taste (I still like the kingsford competition briquettes, though, which are also 100% all-natural).

If you look it up, even some on Kingsford's website, you will find that their original charcoal is made primarily from softwoods, such as pine sourced from sawdust and scraps of building lumber, mixed with crushed coal, limestone, borax, etc. Would you ever put pine or coal in your smoker? I wouldn't.

Again this is all just my opinion. I get passionate about my charcoal.
smokeinthenoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker

^^^^^ I understand these things. I still don't see it. I might also say I use probably a 1:4 ratio of briquettes to lump so the taste of the briquettes means much less to me.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
smokeinthenoke
On the road to being a farker

Yeah in that case you probably wouldn't see much difference. For me, once I started using Stubb's I just stuck with that and gave up lump completely. Of course it's all a personal preference anyway, if it's working well for you, and you're getting such a sweet deal on it, I would stick with it!
smokeinthenoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
alex_123
Found some matches.

Although I couldn't find it on the Lowe's website anymore, my local Lowe's still carries it and has plenty of it in stock. If they ARE phasing it out, hopefully they put it on sale so I can stock up on it.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

I stopped at local lowes today. The manager said they are carrying more stubbs products. They have a huge display,several of the stubbs rubs, sauce, and marinates along with several other new brands(rubs and sauce) in the front of the store.
It looks like they are loading up for grilling season.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #22
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_123 View Post
Although I couldn't find it on the Lowe's website anymore, my local Lowe's still carries it and has plenty of it in stock. If they ARE phasing it out, hopefully they put it on sale so I can stock up on it.
I found it on there yesterday. You have to search "stubbs" and it will pop up with all the products. If you search "charcoal" it won't pop up with any but Kingsford and Cowboy products. Same with going through "Outdoors", "Grilling", "Charcoal", all that pops up is Kingsford.

Honestly, I hate Lowes's website because of stuff like that. Sometimes you search for something and it won't find it. Then if you sift through all the department nonsense and get down to the nitty gritty sub-sub-departments you will find it. Its a major PITA if you are trying to check local availability before you go to the store and walk up and down every isle to find out they don't have it in stock. One time it took 2 floor associates, me, and a manager 45 minutes to figure out where the oven stove gasket kits were. I knew they were in stock since the website said they had several in stock at my local store. Very unorganized, especially compared to Home Depot or an Ace.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i'm sure it will be available at many stores for a while until stock is all sold.
the guy on the floor said that lowes will not continue to carry it cuz they got orders to pull the tags once they are out and the tag at my store was pulled.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post

Honestly, I hate Lowes's website because of stuff like that. Sometimes you search for something and it won't find it. Then if you sift through all the department nonsense and get down to the nitty gritty sub-sub-departments you will find it. Its a major PITA if you are trying to check local availability before you go to the store and walk up and down every isle to find out they don't have it in stock. One time it took 2 floor associates, me, and a manager 45 minutes to figure out where the oven stove gasket kits were. I knew they were in stock since the website said they had several in stock at my local store. Very unorganized, especially compared to Home Depot or an Ace.
I completely agree. As a store, I like Ace and Lowe's much more than Home Depot. However, HD's website is a thousand times better than the other two (especially Lowe's), so often times that sways my vote.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ok George fess up, this is just a thinly veiled attempt at an April Food joke. I think I will have to call the home office.
Dave

Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeinthenoke View Post
Yeah in that case you probably wouldn't see much difference. For me, once I started using Stubb's I just stuck with that and gave up lump completely. Of course it's all a personal preference anyway, if it's working well for you, and you're getting such a sweet deal on it, I would stick with it!
I may give up on lump too. I use it as a ember base for my offset. But it burns so fast, I dont know

I just bought a bag of Stubbs at my Lowes, they still have plenty of it

If I like it I may not use lump anymore, I dont know
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #27
bookie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeinthenoke View Post
My Lowe's sells that stuff like crazy. I have noticed as others have, that Lowe's seems to be carrying more grilling and BBQ related items, such as the sauces and things, more so than they used to. I hope they don't discontinue it! Lowe's is like 4 blocks from my house so it's easy to run get more when I run out.

I just moved to Salem from Missouri were I always bought Stubbs from Lowes.. I checked the Lowes website, they didn't have it listed. I'll have to stop in and check
bookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #28
bookie
Knows what a fatty is.

Just checked Lowe's website again and searched under Stubb's, as suggested earlier, and yep a bunch of stuff popped up. Thanks for the search tip.
bookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #29
mbshop
Babbling Farker

nope, i'm telling it like i was told and what i saw. not that i bought the stuff anyway. was actually talking to the guy about their choice of lump and then he pointed to the empty spot and mentioned that they are no longer selling stubbs. then i questioned him more thus the info on the tag thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Ok George fess up, this is just a thinly veiled attempt at an April Food joke. I think I will have to call the home office.
Dave

Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #30
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

mbshop- Have you tried the all natural briqs from Trader Joes? as an alternative?
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote