The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
dadsr4
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
If I cut the salt in half in the brine and per chance the concentration of salt in the bird is higher.......wouldn't it pull salt out of the bird?
I do not worry about it. I'm after the flavor of the spices on the bird. In about 20 years of smoking turkeys, I think I've only bothered with a brine about 3 times because I wanted to try Patio Daddio's brine. Like I said, I usually just rub the skin with sesame oil and herbs.If you just do whatever you have done to a turkey in the past indoors, cooking outdoors is better.

Unread 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0

Gnaws on Pigs, that turkey looks great!

How did you get it to sit in that upright position like that? Seems something must be holding it.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
Gnaws on Pigs, that turkey looks great!

How did you get it to sit in that upright position like that? Seems something must be holding it.
Thanks, it tasted great, too-it was gone in minutes. I actually cooked it upright on a quart can of Foster's beer (the only beer in a quart can I can find here) with about an inch of beer and cajun seasoning left in the can. The can was pretty much dry when the turkey was done-so much for the Other Site's controversial beer-can-chicken debunking.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
oifmarine2003
is One Chatty Farker

Here is a picture of the turkey I made on Thanksgiving. It was a major hit. I will never make a turkey any other way....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey.jpg (61.0 KB, 83 views)

Homemade Wood Smokehouse, Charmglow gasser, Smoke Hollow, UDS, dual chamber homemade grill, Uline Weber Kettle
Certified MOINK Baller

UNLINED DRUM KING OF CHICAGO AREA

Scrap Iron Chef
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
93vpmod
is One Chatty Farker

Default Today's Turkey!

I smoked a turkey on the UDS today and it turned out great. I bought a cheap turkey for .99/lb.brined overnight and smoked at 250-275 till temp. Breast 165, leg 180.

Like others above, I think smoking is the only way to cook turkey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.6 KB, 76 views)

Backwoods G2 Chubby, UDS with Weber rotisserie, Blue Weber Performer with gas assist, Smoke Hollow elec. smoker, SJG mini-WSM, White thermapen, Blue-Backlight thermapen, Maverick ET-732 x 2, BernzOmatic JT-850 Weed Burner, BernzOmatic TS8000BZKC Hand Torch.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

When the turkeys are injected I don't bother to brine them and they come out fine. I have been told "that's the best turkey I ever had!" Here's one resting after coming off the smoker.

Unread 03-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
mr big
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default On the grate or in a pan?

My question is? If you smoke the bird whole do you place it straight on the grate or do you cook it in a pan or maybe half and half?
mr big is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
93vpmod
is One Chatty Farker

Mine have been directly on the grate, flip around every couple of hours and then cover the breast once it gets some color to reduce drying out.

Backwoods G2 Chubby, UDS with Weber rotisserie, Blue Weber Performer with gas assist, Smoke Hollow elec. smoker, SJG mini-WSM, White thermapen, Blue-Backlight thermapen, Maverick ET-732 x 2, BernzOmatic JT-850 Weed Burner, BernzOmatic TS8000BZKC Hand Torch.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
oifmarine2003
is One Chatty Farker

I hand mine at the top of the smoker so there is equal smoke penetration.

Homemade Wood Smokehouse, Charmglow gasser, Smoke Hollow, UDS, dual chamber homemade grill, Uline Weber Kettle
Certified MOINK Baller

UNLINED DRUM KING OF CHICAGO AREA

Scrap Iron Chef
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #25
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Well, I'm brining <smile>.

Water, salt, sugar, black pepper, a little maple syrup, and juice from an orange.

I'll pull it from the brine tomorrow and let the skin dry in the fridge till Sunday when I smoke it,

Any suggestions for a rub? Seems many mix herbs with butter and spread under the skin. Should I use oil only on outside of the skin?

Unread 03-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #26
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr big View Post
My question is? If you smoke the bird whole do you place it straight on the grate or do you cook it in a pan or maybe half and half?
Right on the grate. Like 93vpmod I sometimes put a foil shield on the breast part way through to keep it from overcooking while the legs and thighs finish. But I didn't do that for the bird pictured above. What I should have done was to release the ends of the legs. I'm pretty sure that leaving them bound up like that won't help the dark meat finish faster (and the delayed finish of the dark meat is what can leave the breast dry.) I just wasn't thinking when I put it on.

Unread 03-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #27
Smokin in Ne.
Found some matches.

i love smoking turkeys on enhanced birds i usually just put butter under the skin and rub . sum onion and citrus in the cavity and call it good
Smokin in Ne. is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #28
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Put ziplock bags of ice in the breast about 45 min before the cook Breast will be done the same time as the dark meat and will be very moist
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #29
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Stop with the turkey pr0n, you're making me hungry!

Unread 03-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #30
CharcoalCowboy
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
One hint for your first time. Place a bag Ziplock bag on the breast or about 30 minutes before you put it on the smoker. This will bring down the temp of the breast lower than the thighs. Your breast and thighs should be done close to the same time and your breast won't dry out.
I tried the bag of ice in a ziploc method a few years ago and will never cook a turkey any other way. It makes a noticeable difference in the white meat. I brine every turkey (whether enhanced or not) in a brine with just a little salt and a cup or so of maple syrup and Jack Daniels. If you try it you will be hooked too. In fact I have one brining in the fridge right now getting ready to be cooked tomorrow.