The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Welcome neighbor, what part of MA are you from?

Unread 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
If you decide you might like to try it, I pulled up this old thread where I had posted a recipe for deep fried prime rib. You never know.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ime+rib+recipe
Thanks Tish, The poor lad thought I was crazy. Well... I am but ?

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA
Pitmaster at "Sultans of Sting" BBQ Team it's a French thing!
http://www.charredapron.com
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
MarleyMan
Take a breath!

Downloads: 3

I use the "Alton Brown" method, revised for the kettle or WSM. (i.e. Reverse Sear)

Cook at 200F until 118 IT, remove from heat wrap in foil and rest until IT hits 130.

While resting open the vents so your fire gets HOT. Once it hits 130 unwrap and throw back on the grill to sear the outside. Remove, rest and slice.

Gets you a nice med-rare all the way through with a nice crust.

I just did a small 3 lb'er last weekend.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...11#post2428011

Unread 03-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
dsm
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
Welcome neighbor, what part of MA are you from?
Town is Lunenburg, 45 min west of Boston near the NH border.

Amazed at how busy this forum is :-). Is it because of Easter or is it always like this? People sure take their BBQ seriously :-).

steve
dsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
dsm
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyMan View Post
I use the "Alton Brown" method, revised for the kettle or WSM. (i.e. Reverse Sear)

Cook at 200F until 118 IT, remove from heat wrap in foil and rest until IT hits 130.

While resting open the vents so your fire gets HOT. Once it hits 130 unwrap and throw back on the grill to sear the outside. Remove, rest and slice.

Gets you a nice med-rare all the way through with a nice crust.

I just did a small 3 lb'er last weekend.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...11#post2428011
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've got a brisket on for tonight. I'm still debating about the prime rib for tomorrow.

Brisket question: I'm following Meathead's Texas Brisket recipe on Amazingribs.com. It got to 150 in about 3.5 hours so I did the texas crutch and it seemed to plow through the stall. Taking a long time at 185 though. Anyhow he says to faux cambro it for several hours and then it's done, but even on his page I see one crispy coated. I don't see how it's going to come out that way. Don't I need to put some bbq sauce on and sear it for a few minutes to get that finish?

steve
dsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

There's a rib-roast appreciation thread that has a few useful links and some basic cooks. In all honesty, it's really hard to mess up a rib roast. It's about the easiest thing to cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=150482
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Really knowing the temp of the meat makes it easy to know when to pull it. Salt and pepper is simple, and it works for a rub. I do the reverse sear... 225°F till the meat has an IT of 115 (with carryover, it turns into a solid med rare), pull it, wrap it loosely in foil temporarily... Crank the grill to as hot as you can get it, then put the meat back on for just a few minutes to crisp up the exterior. The hotter the better cause it takes less time to get crispy, and the inside stays where you want it.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

check our recipe section. Several recipes in there.

heres mine..

Quote:
ok.. heres da secret. measurements are approx. cup teriaki half cup soy sauce half of a small bottle gravy master and half small bottle kitchen bouquet(or you can use a whole bottle of either if ya cant find one or the other). add about 3-4tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning to this mixture and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then pour it all over the roast and rub it in. I also like to pierce the beat with a wide blade fork in several spots to allow the marinade to get in a little bit. If you have a heavy fat cap, add a few slices to that to allow penetration to the meat. Cooking Instructions: For the rub, use a heavy hand of Turbinado Sugar and rub it in well and let sit for about 5 minutes, then rub heavily with montreal steak seasoning. Rub it in and around the entire roast. When its covered amd disolviong, then add some more on top and just tap that on so it stays put. let the roast sit for about half hour, covered. First half hour to 45 minutes I cook in the hotspot or at 376-400 degrees, maybe a little higher. As oon as i put in the meat, damper down to allow temps to drop slowly to 275. When internal is about 90-100 degrees(or about 40 minutes) move it to your normal cookin spot and cook at about 275 till internal is 125.

At this point, either cover it and let it rest, or roll it around over searing coals to make a crust. Bring internal to 130, no higher than 135, then take it off and let it sit, wrapped loosly. Let it rest about 20-30 minutes. Temps climb into the 140s. this will yield rare inside and medium on the outboard slices. If you want to go rarer, take it off at 120 and grill to 130 then cover and rest. Usually, i roll it right over the coals in the firebox as close to the coals as i can get. This can also be used on roast beefs, top rounds...... any beef roasts.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote