The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
CarlWayne
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Planning on smoking a brisket for Easter Sunday

I've always bought my packers from HEB but considering buying one from Costco. Anyone have experience with Costco packers? I would like to try and get a choice or select which HEB in my town doesn't sell. Is there quite a bit of difference in better grade? Thanks.

Unread 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
NazBQ
On the road to being a farker

I just smoked one from Costco last weekend for the first time. The wife said it was my best ever.
[B]Cook Team[/B] @ [URL="http://WolfCandyBBQ.com"]WolfCandyBBQ.com[/URL]
[B]Web Designer[/B] @ [URL="http://barbecuewebsites.com"]BarbecueWebsites.com[/URL]
NazBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
angryfish01
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

Have not bought a brisket there, but the meat there is always great quallity.
Vision Kamado, Webber OTG, Webber Smoky Joe, an old nondescript gasser that needs to be thrown out, or sent to Australia, a blue thermapen, a pair of greasy tongs, two charcoal chimneys, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Just call me "The Fish"
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
thaifighter06

Costco is awesome for brisket. They'll have a bunch available also to sort through.

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Andrew

i would like to know the big difference in choice vs select, personal experience?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Unless it is the extreme ends of the grading scale like Almost Prime and Barely Select there aint enough difference to warrant the expense. Beef is graded higher up and farther back than the brisket ( IRC between the 4-5 rib) it is fine for the higher cuts where the marbling is more pronounced. On a Brisket not so much because it is exercised more and essential to the movement of the animal so the marbling is very close between the grades. I have cooked Select & Choice side by side on more than on occasion and gotten a better product from the Select about 50 % of the time.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

A lot of folks on this site buy their meats from Costco and I have never heard any complaints outside of the fact that their butts only come in boneless form. Some also report that only brisket flats are available, but I think that's a location thing, to be honest.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
A lot of folks on this site buy their meats from Costco and I have never heard any complaints outside of the fact that their butts only come in boneless form. Some also report that only brisket flats are available, but I think that's a location thing, to be honest.
same here, i dont like buying boneless butts, but i do like the 2 pack.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Jukas
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
My wife brought home a 6.61lb choice brisket from our Costco the other day ($2.19/lb) that said 'full brisket' on the cryovac. Being that light I assuming it was just a brisket flat, but when I got it out it turned out to be a little packer, with a small point.

Ended up really tasty, a nicer brisket than I get at Safeway, and over a buck a lb cheaper.
Jukas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
i would like to know the big difference in choice vs select, personal experience?
No roll>select>choice>prime

Between no roll and prime, you can tell. Alot of it is the quality and marbling of the meat, how the cow was fed, etc. but between any two, i.e NR/select select/choice choice/prime, you arent going to tell much difference.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
DriverWild
Full Fledged Farker

I cooked 2 last weekend for a comp. They had little to no point, good flavor in the flat. I haven't been able to find a full packer with a thick point yet at my local Costco.

Unread 03-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
Pole D
Full Fledged Farker

Picked up a choice packer at SAMs today. 18lbs! @ 2.49/lb. We'll see how it turns out.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

The costcos here has nothing but full packets and they have been great for teaching me how to cook to tender. I have cooked good select briskets but choice is about the same price as select here so I cook choice. You should look for bend/marbling/softness in any brisket I say go getcha a costcos full choice packer and cook it to tender see if you like it.