MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Default FoodSaver at Costco

Hey gang, Costco has this FoodSaver minus the marinator http://www.costco.com/FoodSaver%C2%A...100014659.html for $149.99. Do you guys have experience with this product? its got great reviews. Anything i should know before purchasing it? I also plan on getting the bags. http://www.costco.com/FoodSaver%C2%A...100022562.html. These bags good? or can i find them cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks all.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
CYvilEng
Got Wood.

I just got some bags and rolls from Vacuum Sealers Unlimited. They arrived super fast are great quality and very cheap. Just Google that name. I found them from a different forum.I'm not sure what the rules are for linking to another forum, they offer a 10% discount code.

I can't comment on the specific model you referred. I do have a similar unit from target that works well. Food saver just had a promo of 30% off plus a 20% code attacked on top for bags. I almost did that but they place I got them from was still a little bit cheaper including shipping.
CYvilEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a similar one at home and have no complaints. The only thing I notice is to take a few minutes between seals if you are doing a bunch of vacuum packing.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYvilEng View Post
I just got some bags and rolls from Vacuum Sealers Unlimited. They arrived super fast are great quality and very cheap. Just Google that name. I found them from a different forum.I'm not sure what the rules are for linking to another forum, they offer a 10% discount code.

I can't comment on the specific model you referred. I do have a similar unit from target that works well. Food saver just had a promo of 30% off plus a 20% code attacked on top for bags. I almost did that but they place I got them from was still a little bit cheaper including shipping.

Thanks, you think you can PM me the link?

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I like mine and I have yet to have any issues. Was a life saver with my chicken last comp.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys. I'm mostly going to need this when i start using my WFO. I plan on roasting/Qing lots of stuff and bagging them away for the week.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
CYvilEng
Got Wood.

I'll also note that the rolls and bags go fast! I got a 10-ft roll with the unit and was able to vacuum seal just under 8-lbs of bacon and ran out. I ordered 2 large rolls, 2 small rolls and 20 of the gallon, quart, and pint bags so we would try all of them and see what we like before stocking up on a lot of one thing. I ordered the stuff on Mon morning and they arrived from Cali on Thurs.

I like the ease of use of the bags since they are already cut and sealed at one end. The problem is you have to store them somewhere handy. The rolls are more versatile since you cut them to whatever size you want but then you have to seal one end, fill it, then seal the other end. To me this seems like it will make it die faster doing 2x the sealing, maybe I'm over thinking it. Storage is easy because the roll fits inside the machine. The extras just keep in a box out of the way. As I write this, maybe the bags could be rolled up and stored in the machine.
CYvilEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

That is where I got mine- same model I like it
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

I have the same exact unit I scored for $120 on special and I'm very happy with it. I recently packaged a bunch of sausage back to back for about 40 mins total and I didn't have any issues of having to wait a few minutes inbetween the packaging process. I've actually used it a a lot in past 5 months and so far has worked flawlessly. It's a nice unit plus Costco guarantee you can't go wrong brother.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I've got an older model that lays flat on the counter. It's probably 6-7 years old and always seems to work.

PS: ZipLock makes some quart and gallon bags, if you can fing them they are great!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
I have the same exact unit I scored for $120 on special and I'm very happy with it. I recently packaged a bunch of sausage back to back for about 40 mins total and I didn't have any issues of having to wait a few minutes inbetween the packaging process. I've actually used it a a lot in past 5 months and so far has worked flawlessly. It's a nice unit plus Costco guarantee you can't go wrong brother.

Thanks Sev.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I have a 2880 that I'm very happy with. I pack pulled pork, ribs, brisket and so on before freezing and they seem to keep well. The Foodsaver sucks the air out and I believe the bags are oxygen tight. I also freeze stock, soups, gravies, hummus and other soft stuff in plastic containers and then pop the stuff out and freeze them. I also buy some things like frozen corn and peas and repackage them in Foodsaver bags.

The only thing it does not do well is stuff with high moisture because it tends to pull the moisture into the seal zone and then not seal well.

The last time I got bag rolls, I got Weston which are recommended on the foodsaver mailing list. They were a little cheaper than the foodsaver bags.