The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
fingerlickin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-08-10
Location: Boyertown, PA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's a Big Farking Sandwich!

My son turned 3 on the 20th and we had his party at the house on Sunday. I've only done pulled chuckie's once before and I thought this would be a good opportunity to go for number two.

I started out with 2-4lb chuck roasts. One I hit with SM Peppered Cow and the other got a dose of Oakridge Black Ops.



I wasn't sure about my timeline with these things since I've only done this one time before and my note taking is a little lacking to say the least.

So I filled the egg with lump and hickory and fired it up to around 235* and threw them on at 2 am. I figured I'd go low and slow in hopes of getting a good nights sleep.

Turns out I was wrong about the sleeping part. I set the alarm on my maverick to 165*, which happened right around 5 am. At that point they looked like this.



Luckily I had thought ahead and pre-chopped the onions and peppers and also made up the Au-jus ahead of time. I used this stuff in lieu of stoudt, with the kids and all. THIS was a good move for sure.





I covered the pans with foil, reset the Maverick to 195* and went back to bed, and by back to bed, I mean back to the couch of course.



Then at 6:30am....beep, beep, beep, beep....and I'm like for the love of god, I thought this was slow and low!!! I'm trying to get some sleep over here!

I stumbled out and uncovered the pans, tried to shred the beef and no sir...tough as all get out. Covered them again, set the alarm to 205* back to bed...I mean couch.

Next thing you know I've got kids jumping all over me, I look over and the Maverick says 216* or something like that...Fark! I must have used the snooze button so I go out to check the beef and...Yes! It's pulling like butter. I shred up the beef with a couple forks and left it on the smoker uncovered to reduce for a few hours.



While that was happening I made up some ABT's and sweet ABT's for an appetizer.



I forgot to get finished pics of those.

Stock Photo:



I picked up some nice kaisers from a local bakery and everyone at the party got busy on the beef sammies.



So anyway, about that Big Farking Sandwich....

I needed a good base for the sandwich so despite a few odd glances from the partygoers, I threw on a turkey burger from the freezer that I had mixed up with some foil hat a couple weeks ago.



Slice of provolone.



Oh yeah, I also cooked some chicken thighs that I de-boned and hit with some some Big Butz Chicken Dust.



Pile on the beef.



a couple ABT's and a nice long hot pepper and now you have a Big Farking Sandwich.



We also had some cake, superhero style of course.



Now that I've showed you mine, it's your turn to show me yours! Head on over to the Big Farking Sandwich Throwdown and get your entry in, you have until next Sunday!

Thanks for looking!

__________________

Jason


"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III


XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is online now   Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
deguerre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-15-09
Location: Memphis, TN...Formerly of Decatur, AL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

You FARK!




Nice one papi.
__________________
Guerry >^..^< Pit Beeatch for Team Munchkin
Avatar by Northwest BBQ
"If more people would just open their minds, more people would learn things." Wampus
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
beercuer
Full Fledged Farker
 
beercuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-13
Location: Riverside, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

That sammy rivals the Trump tower!!! We've a contenda here, folks, and I must say that looks fingerlickin' goooooood! Phew!
__________________
Got beer???
beercuer is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Garrett
is One Chatty Farker

 
Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-03-12
Location: Gastonia North Carolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's a Big Farking Sandwich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
My son turned 3 on the 20th and we had his party at the house on Sunday. I've only done pulled chuckie's once before and I thought this would be a good opportunity to go for number two.

I started out with 2-4lb chuck roasts. One I hit with SM Peppered Cow and the other got a dose of Oakridge Black Ops.



I wasn't sure about my timeline with these things since I've only done this one time before and my note taking is a little lacking to say the least.

So I filled the egg with lump and hickory and fired it up to around 235* and threw them on at 2 am. I figured I'd go low and slow in hopes of getting a good nights sleep.

Turns out I was wrong about the sleeping part. I set the alarm on my maverick to 165*, which happened right around 5 am. At that point they looked like this.



Luckily I had thought ahead and pre-chopped the onions and peppers and also made up the Au-jus ahead of time. I used this stuff in lieu of stoudt, with the kids and all. THIS was a good move for sure.





I covered the pans with foil, reset the Maverick to 195* and went back to bed, and by back to bed, I mean back to the couch of course.



Then at 6:30am....beep, beep, beep, beep....and I'm like for the love of god, I thought this was slow and low!!! I'm trying to get some sleep over here!

I stumbled out and uncovered the pans, tried to shred the beef and no sir...tough as all get out. Covered them again, set the alarm to 205* back to bed...I mean couch.

Next thing you know I've got kids jumping all over me, I look over and the Maverick says 216* or something like that...Fark! I must have used the snooze button so I go out to check the beef and...Yes! It's pulling like butter. I shred up the beef with a couple forks and left it on the smoker uncovered to reduce for a few hours.



While that was happening I made up some ABT's and sweet ABT's for an appetizer.



I forgot to get finished pics of those.

Stock Photo:



I picked up some nice kaisers from a local bakery and everyone at the party got busy on the beef sammies.



So anyway, about that Big Farking Sandwich....

I needed a good base for the sandwich so despite a few odd glances from the partygoers, I threw on a turkey burger from the freezer that I had mixed up with some foil hat a couple weeks ago.



Slice of provolone.



Oh yeah, I also cooked some chicken thighs that I de-boned and hit with some some Big Butz Chicken Dust.



Pile on the beef.



a couple ABT's and a nice long hot pepper and now you have a Big Farking Sandwich.



We also had some cake, superhero style of course.



Now that I've showed you mine, it's your turn to show me yours! Head on over to the Big Farking Sandwich Throwdown and get your entry in, you have until next Sunday!

Thanks for looking!

That would be heartburn on a bun for me, but I would eat the FARK out of it.
__________________
My arsenal, Stumps Clone, Two Modified offsets, open pit with grate and rotisserie,UDS, and a free to me Weber One Touch Silver 18.5" kettle
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
landarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-26-09
Location: San Leandro, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Wow, that is a large sandwich you got there buddy.
__________________
I'm feeling bearish, and I'm packing a Wusthof Grand Brisket slicer from MABA

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

dude, 2 farkin perfect thighs on the mofo is genious.
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

 
dwfisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-01-12
Location: Fairfield, FL
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

__________________
I'm Dave
Weber 26.75 OTG w/CI grates & SJ/WSM Mini
Home built 24"x72" reverse flow stick burner trailer with 18"x44" grill w/CI grates and upright SS gas oven/smoker.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
CharredApron
Babbling Farker


 
CharredApron's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-13
Location: Ventenac en Minervois, France
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Looks like a major contender too me!
__________________
Backyard Disasters are my specialty. “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.”
― Voltaire

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA
Pitmaster at "Sultans of Sting" BBQ Team it's a French thing!
http://www.charredapron.com
CharredApron is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

 
MS2SB's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-10
Location: Bothell, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

This TD is starting to get interesting. That's a Big Farkin' Sandwich right there.
__________________
Traeger lil Tex, 2 Weber 22.5", UDS
"Go Cougs!"
They call me "Dave"
Original Noobian Warlord
Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Bob in St. Louis
is One Chatty Farker
 
Bob in St. Louis's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-31-12
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Wow. That's like......awesome!
__________________
-Bob-
Meat eater. Woodworker. PS3 Gamer. Home Theater Guy. Beer Drinker.
WSM 22.5 and random cooking stuff used to help form my shapely manly figure.
Bob in St. Louis is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Ron_L
Moderator

 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

I would hit that, but I'd have to climb it first!

How is the Johnny's Au Jus? I've never tried it.
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
bigabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-06
Location: Overland Fark, KS
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1
Default

That looks awesome!
__________________
Chris Baker
Join the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
fingerlickin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-08-10
Location: Boyertown, PA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
dude, 2 farkin perfect thighs on the mofo is genious.
Thanks man I was channeling my inner boogiesnap or whatever that guys name is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I would hit that, but I'd have to climb it first!

How is the Johnny's Au Jus? I've never tried it.
You could always use your pickle as a pole vault.

The Johnny's was good Ron. I used it once before as a side for some prime rib. I like it a lot. It's a concentrate, 1pt Johnny's to 2pts water. I think I got a little over 3 cups out of that bottle. I had to add one can of beef broth to the pans as well to get the amount right.

The end result was outfarkingstanding. I will never make pulled beef any other way. People were freaking.

On a side note Big Butz Chicken Dust is also outfarkingstanding. People were freaking on that also. It was a good day for my ego all around.
__________________

Jason


"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III


XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
cowgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-18-07
Location: Oklahoma
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Dang you're good Jason. Awesome sammich!!

Belated Happy Birthday to Fingerlickin' Jr!
__________________
jeanie
sittin' by the campfire with my Brethren friends.
Lifetime member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers (Thanks Ash :))

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
bluetang's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-06-10
Location: Stuart, Fl
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

So fine!
__________________
Homegrown 120 Gallon Reverse Flow, Homey, the Homegrown Kettle, 3 UDS's, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric and a CA gasserrrr
Bicycle Fast Polder Thermo, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts