The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
smokinrack
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
If it works like the BGE, you can take off the dome vent and shine a flashlight down onto the meat to visually check it. No need to open the lid.
This one its actually easier to just open the lid that to try to get vent set back in the right place again if your only gonna have it open for a second, the dome temp only drops a couple degrees and it stabilizes again in a minute or so.

Cooking low on this the vents only open about an 1/8 inch or so and once you get it dialed in it doesnt take much to be a real pain in the butt to reset it, its kinda touchy if you go a little bit to far one way or the other.
smokinrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinrack View Post
This one its actually easier to just open the lid that to try to get vent set back in the right place again if your only gonna have it open for a second, the dome temp only drops a couple degrees and it stabilizes again in a minute or so.

Cooking low on this the vents only open about an 1/8 inch or so and once you get it dialed in it doesnt take much to be a real pain in the butt to reset it, its kinda touchy if you go a little bit to far one way or the other.
Humm, I always open the top vent all the way and control the temp with the bottom damper in order to get the cleanest burning fire. You are supposed to use the top vent to damp down the fire on that one?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

Down side is its way to early to start drinking beer

Unread 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
smokinrack

Honestly I dont know if its the right way or not but to keep this one in the 225-275 range you actually wind up with both vents almost completely closed,

If theres a better way Im open to suggestions but opening either one of them will result in higher temps and if I was cooking at 225 the top one would be about where its at and the bottom one would be closed further yet to the point of blocking any air flow.

Unread 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Looking good! Definitely resist the urge to peek, especially on those Kamado style cookers.

Hope you get a breeze to clear out that shed! I bet the CO levels are pretty farked up in there.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
smokinrack

And 9 hours later they look pretty tasty, pulled em at around 200 IT

Foiled and in the cooler, they must smell good cuz this little guys been trying to get in for an hour

Thanks for looking, the grill worked better than Id hoped, the stall was almost nonexistant and its about time to take these to the party and have a few beers and some good pork

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Great cook. Thanks for sharing!

[COLOR=Red]My Build[/COLOR]:
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
I like Bigbutts
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Mass View Post
Breakfast in a glass.
Wow!! with a drink like that you should be from Jackson.........MISSISSIPPI!! ...That's how you do it on your MTV!!

Friends call me the "One Eyed Porker"....What can I say...
I like Bigbutts is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #24
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Lookin' good! IMO, that's where the Akorn shines is on all-day cooks. Mine will hold temps like an oven for 10-12 hours with only a couple minor adjustments. I love it.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #25
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Looks like it's gonna be good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good brotha I've been meaning to gasket the bottom seal of my Akorn to...now I have something to do That pup is going to be on your heels once you unwrap those big ol' butts! Ya mine needs to be set almost closed to for those temps, it definitely gets up fast I just need to cook on it more.

Whatcha really smoking in that tent hu hu
Quote:
Its getting foggy in here

Unread 03-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #27
treytexag

Quote:
Well its 4 in the morning and a balmy 17 degrees out when I lit the smoker.First thing I noticed is the winds changed and the smokes not leaving the shed

Its getting foggy in here

A half hour and a little smoke inhalation later the grills about 200 degrees.Its cold enough out the digital drops to about 153 in the couple seconds its out of the smoker before it goes back in the meat.

Cooking about 265 right now and seems to have quit going up as i shut the vents down, time to let it go and see what happens.Down side is its way to early to start drinking beer as i watch the smoker so its coffee for now
When it's early, I have found that Scotch goes really well in my coffee!!
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote