The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Muscrat
Full Fledged Farker

 
Muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-10
Location: Tuscola Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pecan Wood Question

I have a comp coming up next weekend and was wondering if pecan wood that has been ambushed by termites would still be good to cook with. The bugs are gone but there are holes in the wood. I was just wanting to use less mesquite wood during the cook and substitute something in.

Thanks
__________________
Its Si-intistic, Jack!
One lovely UDS
Shanaynay--Custom Home Built Smoker on Wheels-SOLD!!
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Razcal
Got Wood.
 
Razcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-17-13
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I wouldn't use it if it had Termites
It will smell BAD Very BAd
__________________
Never trust a Skinny Chief
Razcal is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
HankB
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 01-16-12
Location: Winfield, IL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

With all the time, money and effort that goes into a comp, why risk it?

Try it on something you can throw out with no consequences other than the cost of the meat if you're curious.

NB: I've never competed.
__________________
Weber Crazy
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
grantw
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 09-13-12
Location: canada
Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Pecan Wood Question

Ya i second that, termites do leave reside or waste behind. Toss it
__________________
Backwoods party,22.5 wsm,18.5 wsm,14.5 wsm, smokey joe, performer,22.5 kettle.
grantw is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Muscrat
Full Fledged Farker

 
Muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-10
Location: Tuscola Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Ah Ha! I never thought about the dookie.

Thanks everyone!
__________________
Its Si-intistic, Jack!
One lovely UDS
Shanaynay--Custom Home Built Smoker on Wheels-SOLD!!
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Vision
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-11
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I have some pecan from a weber bag. A chunk last week had termite holes in it. It was fine. It's just wood.
__________________
"It's all about the Hill Country brisket."
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker
 
IamMadMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-30-11
Location: Southern New Jersey
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
With all the time, money and effort that goes into a comp, why risk it?

Try it on something you can throw out with no consequences other than the cost of the meat if you're curious.

NB: I've never competed.

^ +1 I agree........
__________________
Humphrey's DownEast Beast W/BBQ Guru
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Andrew
On the road to being a farker
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-13
Location: South of Dallas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
I have some pecan from a weber bag. A chunk last week had termite holes in it. It was fine. It's just wood.
i have used piece that you could tell had some at one time, but i used it and it seemed fine.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 05-22-10
Location: Smoky Mountains, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Are you sure it's termites? Most pecan, just like any other species of hickory that's seasoned with the bark on, will usually get riddled with flat-head borers and powderpost beetles and be shot full of small holes. That won't hurt a thing for using it to cook with if the wood is still dry and sound-I use bug-hole wood all the time and there is absolutely no difference. If it was actually termites, that would usually indicate that the wood has stayed wet and started to get soft and rot. In that case, I wouldn't use it.
__________________
...Half a yard full of crap to cook on like everybody else...

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer


Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
GrillsGoneWild
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 08-30-10
Location: Rockwall, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Are you sure it's termites? Most pecan, just like any other species of hickory that's seasoned with the bark on, will usually get riddled with flat-head borers and powderpost beetles and be shot full of small holes. That won't hurt a thing for using it to cook with if the wood is still dry and sound-I use bug-hole wood all the time and there is absolutely no difference. If it was actually termites, that would usually indicate that the wood has stayed wet and started to get soft and rot. In that case, I wouldn't use it.
^^^^This. It also could be carpenter ants. I use bug hole wood all the time.
__________________
Do not eat any of it raw or boiled at all with water, but rather roasted with fire. Exodus 12:9
GrillsGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Muscrat
Full Fledged Farker

 
Muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-10
Location: Tuscola Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

well truth be known I dont know exactly what kind of bug it was. I just know there is holes in it. I'll use mesquite wood this time.

Thanks for all the info.
__________________
Its Si-intistic, Jack!
One lovely UDS
Shanaynay--Custom Home Built Smoker on Wheels-SOLD!!
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-24-11
Location: Gadsden, Alabama
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscrat View Post
I have a comp coming up next weekend and was wondering if pecan wood that has been ambushed by termites would still be good to cook with. The bugs are gone but there are holes in the wood. I was just wanting to use less mesquite wood during the cook and substitute something in.

Thanks
Pass on the Termites.
I think wood from splintered pallets would be healthier.

Take the Termite wood and burn it in the fire pit, not your smoker.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 05-22-10
Location: Smoky Mountains, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscrat View Post
well truth be known I dont know exactly what kind of bug it was. I just know there is holes in it. I'll use mesquite wood this time.

Thanks for all the info.
Just borer holes, probably then. They're gone already. I would use it and not worry about it.
__________________
...Half a yard full of crap to cook on like everybody else...

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer


Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts