The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
GrillsGoneWild
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Question about Butcher Paper and Brisket

So I used Butcher Paper for the first time on my cook yesterday and had an issue with the liquid in the paper making it soggy and it tore. Then I lost most of the juice out of it.
I know that butcher paper is "steaming" the brisket like foil, but I do like the au jus when serving. Did I just not wrap it enough or do you just end up with soggy bottom of the paper?
When I viewed A. Franklin's video I didn't see all the liquid on the outside of the paper like it soaked through it.
I did like the texture of the bark better than foil.
I'll have to get use to how to check for doneness as poking through the paper wasn't ideal and you couldn't get a good feeling on tenderness until I unwrapped it. But that is a process in which I hope I don't have to do each time and going through the paper will just come with practice. I don't know if I'll ever do enough briskets in my lifetime to be able to feel it through the paper like Franklin to know when it is done.

Unread 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Cayman1
Full Fledged Farker

I double wrapped when I used butcher paper. Helps with the liquid, but still not as tight as foil.

Put a little cut in the paper before trying to probe for temp. Sometimes the paper is tough to pierce. Probe the flat where the slices will come from.

Unread 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Untraceable
is One Chatty Farker

I did one this weekend. used way to much paper. I thought I read someone claim to use 6' of paper. I had mine rolled like 4x. kind of a pain to unwrap and check the condition of it. it was kind of funny because you could tell when something happened to the brisket. all the sudden one time I checked on it and it went from fairly clean to looking like the brisket exploded inside of it

Unread 03-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You only need 1 layer of paper if you use to more you might as well use foil. Paper is absorbent you aint gonna get get much aus jus if any. If the paper got soggy enough to rip out you wrapped it to soon. For the record It don't Steam OR Braise in the paper because it is porous unlike Foil.
Once you wrap your brisket in the BP take a knife and make a few small slits in the paper to probe through.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
GrillsGoneWild
Full Fledged Farker

I thought it may have been wrapped too early but it was the brisket that had fat cap issues and I was trying to not let it dry out. I actually should have just foil that one and butcher papered the other one that came out good.
I wrapped at 160, but maybe should have gone a little higher?

Unread 03-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
I thought it may have been wrapped too early but it was the brisket that had fat cap issues and I was trying to not let it dry out. I actually should have just foil that one and butcher papered the other one that came out good.
I wrapped at 160, but maybe should have gone a little higher?
I think you are overthinking this

in the big picture I dont think 10 degrees is going to make that much difference

bottom line is, how did it come out?
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I read in another post that they wrap with butcher paper at around 180 instead of 165 when most people wrap in foil. Is this true? If so why? Thanks

Unread 03-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcj3rd View Post
I read in another post that they wrap with butcher paper at around 180 instead of 165 when most people wrap in foil. Is this true? If so why? Thanks
last few I did in parchment paper were at about 170f and they came out excellent
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

This video has been around on a few threads but in case you haven't seen it, Aaron Franklin discusses his use of butcher paper. If you have seen it, it is still worth watching again.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I can't answer the Temp Question because I don't keep track of it, I cook at 300 and it hits the paper at 4 hrs. no matter how big or small it is.