• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Feli minoin

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Look,
I'm not even sure how to spell it and spell check has been no help here but I think you know where I'm going with this.

Over a year ago a friend brought me this piece of meat and said, here take it. I'm moving and can't take it with me.

Well,
Last night I pulled it out of the freezer to see what I really had. This is what it looked like after I thawed it out

ugypupez.jpg

This is what it looked like when I cut it up into thick steaks. So far, it's looking real tasty. Prepping the weber now to cook up three of the steaks I cut.
qe2eryze.jpg

Question,
That's allot of meat.
It came to me frozen so I'm thinking its only been frozen one time.
Should I be ok splitting it up and refreezing for future cooks or will I need to eat it all up in the next couple if days?

yra6ypym.jpg

Thanks for all your input in advance brethren!!!

Refreezing really shouldn't be a problem, especially if you have a vacuum sealer, if you don't, just make sure all the air is out of the wrapped portions.

And if that is filet mignon you are in for a real treat, good stuff!

KC

Not filet Mignon. Wife thinks maybe rib eye. I think untrimmed strips

It is not beef tenderloin.That is the Primal that Fillet is cut from.Looks like a Ribroast(ribeye) to me.Still yummee eats though.

That is a nice chunk of meat, I have to differ, that looks very much to me like an untrimmed Beef tenderloin, the heart of which would be a Filet Mignon. Not only the shape, but, the color of the meat, it has that look.

Doesn't really matter, it can be refrozen if carefully packed.

That is a nice chunk of meat, I have to differ, that looks very much to me like an untrimmed Beef tenderloin, the heart of which would be a Filet Mignon. Not only the shape, but, the color of the meat, it has that look.

And that's why I have WWGALD in my signature!!! Thanks!!!

You are correct on the refreezing.Looks like too much marbling to be tenderloin,to me.Tenderloin is very lean.

I think I agree with landarc. That center piece looks like the color and consistency of filet. Actually, I bet that is perhaps better than regular old filet since you get the adjacent muscles and a bit of fat with it.

And WHAT the heck is WWGALD?

I think I agree with landarc. That center piece looks like the color and consistency of filet. Actually, I bet that is perhaps better than regular old filet since you get the adjacent muscles and a bit of fat with it.

And WHAT the heck is WWGALD?

Not sure ?
Just following the rest of the sheep around here!! Lol

What I really want to know is where our cousin N8 has been?

I recommend trimming out the filet and cooking it separate, just a sear on a hot grill.
They are small, I wouldn't refreeze unless I had to.

definately untrimmed filet. you can see the round center that would be the typical filet minion steak or left as a larger(longer peice) chateaubriand.

good eats for sure.

i personally trim it to a more typical cut and use the leftovers for a stew or some such thing. but, it'll be good either way.

as far as i understand, very little meat has never been frozen, so typically, when we buy unfrozen and then freeze it IS the second time. should be AOK.

Seems that im not the only one here suffering from cabin fever
Oh I don't like to refreeze store bought meat.

Ok,
Just finished dinner!!
I eat t bone and rib eyes all the time and did not expect what I just experienced.

I left them untrimmed and the flavor of the fat was just as good as the meat.

It was in many parts of the steak pull apart!! I'm very happy with the results and will freeze the rest of the meat for another day!! The meat is so good I think it will be saved for special ones!!

7y7u6yjy.jpg

u8usamu5.jpg

vu2uqahu.jpg

uqudy2ub.jpg

3e3emyje.jpg

jy2u9ehe.jpg

The flavor is incredible!!

Thanks for looking!!

Back