MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
curly1967
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
He (AF) don't serve off the pit they sit in a warming oven once they pass his finger poke test until service. So lets say for arguments sake the briskets start coming off the pit at 1 am they go into a warmer at 150 until he opens at 11. The long hold at a low temp completes the rendering process; results> pure butter texture,moist, jiggly brisket. I let mine drop to 180 then hold at 180 for 3 hrs and let it cool to 150. The lowest setting on My oven is 170 I chose 180. 30 deg hotter for a little less time IMO is a good approximation. Letting is rest to 150 allows it to relax and keeps it juicy.
so the warmer is set at 150? For some reason I was thinking they rested @ 200.
curly1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly1967 View Post
so the warmer is set at 150? For some reason I was thinking they rested @ 200.
Most commercial warmers are set about 150. So it is an assumption on my part I have no specific knowledge of his exact procedures. hence the statement in my post
Quote:
So lets say for arguments sake the briskets start coming off the pit at 1 am they go into a warmer at 150
I figure the longer your needing to hold in order to maintain freshness the lower the temp you would want.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I cook brisket fat side down since I use vertical cookers, I also rest fat side down, but I'm wondering if there is any benefit to resting fat side up? Will the juices from the inner fat cap melt into the leaner meat? Heat rises so maybe this will help this along? Hmm..
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I cook brisket fat side down since I use vertical cookers, I also rest fat side down, but I'm wondering if there is any benefit to resting fat side up? Will the juices from the inner fat cap melt into the leaner meat? Heat rises so maybe this will help this along? Hmm..
Only way to find out is try...

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Bludawg

Quote:
When I cook on the UDS I'm FC down until I Wrap then I stays FC up the Paper is a Good heat shield.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #21
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
When I cook on the UDS I'm FC down until I Wrap then I stays FC up the Paper is a Good heat shield.
FC up is something I've never tried, I may have to try it out - at least part of the cook. Got a comp. next week, so may not be the right time to experiment.. however, last minute changes have worked for me in the past. Do you go direct heat or use a heat shield?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Sounds like high heat and butcher paper my be the magic here.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
fremont
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Franklin replica brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHatBBQ View Post
Franklin doesn't use a WSM.
This made me chuckle.
fremont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
Bludawg

Quote:
FC up is something I've never tried, I may have to try it out - at least part of the cook. Got a comp. next week, so may not be the right time to experiment.. however, last minute changes have worked for me in the past. Do you go direct heat or use a heat shield?
Direct the whole cook,The fat cap is the heat shield in the beginning after wrapping the Butcher Paper takes it's place, When wrapped right there is two layers on the bottom & 1 on top.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

He holds in a 200* crescor type holding box.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->