The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
pull_my_butt
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ribs w/o foil

Those of ya'll that can get moist, tender ribs w/o foiling, please share how. I've given up.

I threw some on the smoker yesterday and it just wouldn't do. I used a water pan and temp. at 200-220 throughout entire smoke. I took them off about 3.5 hours later. Too dry already.

Thanks.

Unread 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I have found my ribs are way more juicy when my temps are closer to 300.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I would raise the temps. Try 270 - 300, and begin checking at 3 hours - try the bend test or the toothpick test. IMO 200-220 is not an effective cooking temp.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
deguerre

I cook mine in the 275 degree range with no problems. If you took those off after only 3.5 hours with a pit temp of 200~220, they weren't done yet and the fat hadn't started rendering out yet most likely.
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
deguerre

Three replies to the OP in five minutes. Good job guys!
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

^^^ +1 on what these brothers are sayin!

On my last cook, did 6 racks and wrapped in BP at 3-1/2 hours to limit the smoke and keep them from getting too dark, they were done an hour later and the moisture was great. Doing 9 racks the same way this weekend (along with 3 briskets and 30 chicken halves) for a little family party.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Like everyone else said, raise your temps. I shoot for 275-325 on my offset.
luke duke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

It sounds like you are using time to determine when to take them up to rest. I use the bend test, others the toothpick test. Here is my method.

For spare ribs, I wait until there is little less than 1/2 inch of pullback from the end of the bones before doing the bend test. There is only about a 15-20 minute window between sagging and actually giving it up and going limp. I thinly glaze them the last 15 minutes

I then take them up, wrap in butcher paper and hold at 170 degrees, usually in my oven, for at least an hour, but it can be for a couple of hours. (Thanks to Brother Gig'em99 for the inspiration for this holding technique.)

These were fairly thin and cooked hot and fast in just over two hours before passing the bend test, wrapping and popping in the 170 degree oven.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Untraceable
is One Chatty Farker

sounds undercooked.

Loinbacks 4-4.5 hrs @ 250
STL cut 5-5.5hrs @ 250

Unread 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Yep, cooked too short and too low. Raise temp to 275 and cook spares for about 4 hours, loinbacks about 3 hours. Check for tenderness with the toothpick test or bend test.

If you want to cook at 225 spares take about 6 hours, loinbacks about 4.5-5.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Vision
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I then take them up, wrap in butcher paper and hold at 170 degrees, usually in my oven, for at least an hour, but it can be for a couple of hours. (Thanks to Brother Gig'em99 for the inspiration for this holding technique.)
Why are you doing this? You're holding finished ribs in b paper?

Unread 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't foil never have never will I can tell you from the git go your cooking to low for not foiling. I cook mine at 275+ St Louie go about 4 hrs until they pass the bend test Back Bones 3-3.5

Unread 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Why are you doing this? You're holding finished ribs in b paper?
The butcher paper is porous and in my opinion produces a better bark than foil, which isn't.

My take on holding ribs at 170 degrees is that 170 is the right temperature for bite-off-the-bone ribs. Holding at that temperature for at least an hour makes sure that all parts of the rack get done to that temperature and not any higher.

Gig'em99 uses this holding technique for brisket at around 185 degrees for a minimum of 3 hours. I deduced that it would work with ribs too, but at a lower temperature and shorter time.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Yendor
On the road to being a farker

I don't wrap and I cook at 225º for about 5 hours until it passes the bend test.

Unread 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Vision
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
The butcher paper is porous and in my opinion produces a better bark than foil, which isn't.

My take on holding ribs at 170 degrees is that 170 is the right temperature for bite-off-the-bone ribs. Holding at that temperature for at least an hour makes sure that all parts of the rack get done to that temperature and not any higher.

Gig'em99 uses this holding technique for brisket at around 185 degrees for a minimum of 3 hours. I deduced that it would work with ribs too, but at a lower temperature and shorter time.

But the ribs have already passed the bend test, right? So the hold period it to ensure or inch them that extra amount up to the perfect temp?