MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
IMO, they might (I'm hoping) make a kamado cooker. However, it will be the insulated steel style after the akorn and big steel keg, and not the ceramic style. They could still bend metal, they would just have to use an extra sheet and throw a layer of insulation in between them. And produce it in the USA.
This is what I was thinking. I can't imagine Weber would want to move away from its core competency of building metal cookers. I was just wondering if they might make an akorn/bsk type cooker with Weber quality and service. I'd buy one.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezmatt View Post
I'd buy one.
As would I. In a heartbeat.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hopefully, the PEF that bought out Weber is a good one like Bain Capital. Bain turned around several failing companies such as Staples, Sports Authority, and Steel Dynamics. It's not hard to see what Weber's core competency is and that is what a good PEF will be leveraging. I hope they make lots of money giving us quality kettles and if a Kamado is in the mix, I bet it will be a good one.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

If you think about it they already have the technology and the design. The WSM could easily be converted to a Komado cooker. The base wouldn't change and the center section would be shrunk in height and permanently attached to the base. Add an insulated interior and hinge the current top and I think you might have it. This is not a large R&D nor Capital investment on their part. So, the market can be entered rather quickly. It's an interesting thought.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

If the price stays competitive with the Akorn, they could make a killing. IMO the Weber name is far more respected and desirable than CharGriller. If they compete with the Akorn on quality and price, I'd at least seriously consider one.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

lets get a 26" wsm first
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
lets get a 26" wsm first
I also want a 26" performer, but I'd jump all over a weber kamado. They'd probably have to do a good deal of factory additions or open a new one though.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

They could add the OTG system to it and it would rock. Think of the accessory business, plate setter, cast iron grates, cart, table extensions and maybe gas assist light. I can't believe this isn't sitting on somebodies desk at Weber already. This would be the Performer Platinum on Steroids...... Oh and make it RED please.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

If they are priced well (doubtful) i'd love to have a steel and insulated version a-la akorn.

If it was equal or more than a BGE, there's no point.

A Weber-built Akorn for under 500 would be amazing and I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It wouldn't hurt their kettle sales OR their WSM sales by much and they would be the new go-to for affordable kamado-style grills.

Damn, now I really want this to be.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

If you think about it, all they would have to do is make an insulated WSM. Make one of the best cookers they make even better.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
mbshop
Babbling Farker

you just depressed the heck out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
It is hard to predict what Weber will do, as the Stephens family sold majority ownership of Weber to a private equity firm. So, Weber will have to do whatever it has to to make lots money for the partners in the private equity firm. I hope that this private equity firm isn't like Bain Capital, and hasn't taken out huge loans against Weber assets that can not be paid back, in order to fatten the wallets of the private equity investors, forcing Weber into bankruptcy, but this is 2013, and that is how the big money is made these days.

IMO, it is a 50-50 split. The private equity firm will definitely want make a ton of money, but it is 50-50 whether they will decide to kill the company to make that money. I honestly hope they don't do that.

CD

Old 06-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
cropduster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Of course they are going to make a metal Kamado. They have supply chain, manufacturing infrastructure and brand to do it...Ducane. They discontinued the gas grill line two months ago. It won't be long before we see the Ducane Kamado. $449.00
cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #28
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Maybe they'll truly innovate and get into both the pellet market and insulated cookers all in one fell swoop with a pellet pooping insulated keg/egg style cooker!
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #29
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I bet Weber is entirely capable of putting out a product like this, at a reasonable price. If they did it at 1k even, I bet they would be taking a LOT of sales from the competition. That said, I have been looking for some Weber parts at the big boxes lately. They tend to have 1 ceramic, and 20-40 other charcoal grills, propane grills, and various BBQ pits. It is a pretty small market. Add to that the idea that the ceramic is supposed to be a multi-tasker, while Weber knows that most Weber owners have several (a charcoal grill, a propane grill, and often a smoker) - why kill the goose?
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Kamado Joe, and had no idea it was complicated to use. I must be doing something wrong. Add charcoal, light, wait 15-20 minutes and start cooking. I have a top vent and a bottom vent to control temps. Including the hinged lid, there are only 3 moving parts.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote