MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What name do you like best?
Silence of the Hams BBQ 9 6.38%
Motor City Smoke 42 29.79%
Hot Hogs BBQ 5 3.55%
True Blue BBQ 24 17.02%
Mr. Porky's BBQ 2 1.42%
Lots-O-Napkin's BBQ 0 0%
Wild About Q' BBQ 4 2.84%
The Prized Pig BBQ 13 9.22%
Pig N' Out BBQ 36 25.53%
Down to the Bone BBQ 6 4.26%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #46
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin W BBQ View Post
As in the rest of BBQ remember the KISS method just look at the chain BBQ joints the names are easy to remember. I voted for Motor City Smoke but would change to BBQ or Smokehouse and if every other business starts with Motor City I would stay away from it. Have you thought about using your dads name, family last name, street name or Tater's Smokehouse? I grew up in the Dallas area and here are a few examples from there, North Main BBQ, Angelo's BBQ, Baby Back Shak, Cousin’s BBQ, Randy's BBQ, Off the Bone BBQ, Sonny Brian's BBQ, Spring Creek BBQ, Dickey's BBQ, Railhead Smokehouse and Risky's BBQ.
Motor City is beaten to death in Motown, which is beaten to death in the Motor City
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #47
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I am not an expert marketer but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once.

Personally Silence of the Hams sounds cute on an internet forum but I don’t know if it is a good idea to link an eating establishment to a movie where the main actor ate “people”.

Just saying.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #48
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Pit Crew Bbq, Checkered Flag bbq, Race-Way Bbq, these are a few car related names if you feel the need for it to be somewhat automotive in nature. But Are you overlooking the musical aspect like Motown bbq or something from one of the well known titles or lyrics of a song from that era. I had a bbq joint that I use the Barbra Sue song and turned it into baba barbbq for my advertisement, worked out great. Maybe Pitmaster T can collaborate something for you, and can help you out with some of that.
Dave

Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #49
MrTaterSalad
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93vpmod View Post
Looks like you have a lot of good advice above. Being successful can also be a result of knowing when to change directions.

Best of luck!
Thanks. I'm climbing up hill battle as it is with the naming issue, so I'm thinking I am going to have to make a definite direction change on that one.
MrTaterSalad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #50
KBird
On the road to being a farker

And let's not overlook the fact that at the end of the movie, the hams ate the people!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #51
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Wierd, the ones everyone liked were my least favorite. It Thought Prized Pig (which I voted for) and Down to the Bone were best, followed by true blue or possibly motor city.

You could refer to Prized Pig on your menu as the Double P, and Down to the Bone as D.B.'s or D to the B.

Silence of the Hams is funny, and I could maybe see myself naming a comp team after it, but never a restaurant. That's just MO though.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #52
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Silence of the Hams would be a great comp name. As for a restaurant, Motor City Smoke (or motor city BBQ for that matter) is a much better choice. It's not as fun but its a wiser choice.

If you want something fun, Pig N Out is cute and still doesn't try to be too clever. It's my other choice. The rest are just so/so compared to those.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #53
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Silenceofthehams is a really bad name.

It doesn't mean BBQ to anyone.
I fat fingered the wrong button......the dangers of using the iPad.

I meant to agree.

Sorry Mötley Q. I goofed.