New Offset Build

Here are a couple of pics from today and also the link to our build. I took a break for deer season and now we are getting back in the swing of things.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144662

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I have to ask about your frame in your first picture. Why did you cut the channel and weld it on the end of the cross member? Wouldn't it have been just as strong or even stronger if you would have just extended it all the way to the frame rail. I would have knotched it to fit the frame rail to give it more surface to weld the joint. It feels good to ask this question. I have been holding it back since the first day I started following your thread.

Great question. The reason for the notch was to allow me to inset the tail lights. It's a lot more work to do it this way so I hope it pays off in the end.

Love the craftsmanship!
2 questions. 1 is there anything special done to the expanded metal to make it safe to cook on? 2 what do you use as far as exhaust piping goes?
Thanks!

Love the build but one question. When tending the pit, wouldn't the tire kinda get in the way? Got a similiar trailer that's why I'm asking for future reference

I always burn off the grates on any new pit I build. You want to make sure there is no chemicals left on them from the mfg process. My exhaust stack is made out of 6" 3/16 pipe. With regards to the question about the heat causing a problem with the tire. It shouldn't be an issue due to distance and the fender will help as well.

Almost done with my pit. This is really a lot more work then you think. We ended up cutting a notch in the trailer to move the smoker forward. I am not sure I like it though. I should have some pictures up soon.

Back