The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #16
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

A heat diffuser is a must with most smokers but so is a heat sink. I am old school so I use a water pan but some use sand.

BTW: I agree that you got a good deal on a great old school vertical smoker. Spend the time and get all the rust off. Rust is your enemy. Do the mods and fire that bad boy up. You're gonna love it!!

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats on the cool vertical. Don't see too many Okie Joes around here. Been wathing a Okie charcoal grill on CL.

Unread 03-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
U wont be disappointed. U got a good deal for a great smoker. I would have easily paid 300 -400 for an original ok joe just for the legacy.

Check out the bandera 101 doc for some ideas but u wont need alot of the mods in the ok joe. Its better built than the bandera. Keep us posted.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
As to the original question--PRICELESS!!
The Dera was my first venture into the wonderful world of smoking, both at home and at comps.
KCQUER (RIP) and many of us Moded and massaged ours to death!
Those threads are here in our history.
Fun Days at the beginnings of the forum

The only reason I do not have one now is that I grew into Pellet Cooking and left all of the old school stuff behind!

Good Cookers!!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: What's an Oklahoma Joes Vertical Smoker Worth?

Haris92, just now realized my "never mind" comment above might be misunderstood to be directed at you. I would still like the pics and measurements of the diffuser when you get a chance. I had asked where the Bandura document was kept.......and when I found it I edited that post saying never mind, I had found it.

Sorry for any confusion.

Unread 03-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm ordering gaskets for this smoker today. Will the RTV silicone hold up on the firebox (much hotter than the pit area) or do I need to order high temp glue?

Is nomex gasket ok for the firebox or should I go with something that will go to 2000F?

Last edited by HogFan; 03-08-2013 at 01:15 PM..
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
1964coupe
Knows what a fatty is.

I had one of those for years! I ended up giving it to my neighbor when I moved out of town. I lasted about 6 months before I was shopping for a Lang, LoL.
1964coupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #22
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Congrats To your original question, its obviously worth between $200 and "priceless" so you got a great deal. I would have jumped on it also.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote