MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Very cool! Where did you find it, and can I ask how much it was?

http://www.wokshop.com/store/detail.php?show=538

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Great work John...with your skills and taste you are going to have a heap of success with that!
If I had your skills and knowledge of Asian cooking I'd be cooking on this thing like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I saw that on the wokshop.com website and it looked very interesting. Thanks for the report. I need many more BTUs than I can get on my LP kitchen range top.

Tane has suggested a 32,000 BTU portable wok burner that they carry, but that looks very good too.
I never noticed the cooker on wokshop.com but I make occasional trips over to S.F. Chinatown to shop in person so I haven't looked too closely at their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realspaazz View Post
That is cool! I gave up using the wok on my glass top electric stove. Tried the side burner on my gasser, but still not enough heat. That cooker would do wonderfully. I will have to keep my eyes open for one.
I tried one wok cook on my Weber Summit side burner (only 12,000 BTUs) and it fell way short of the heat I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmonkey View Post
I have had my Tao for about 2 years and am eggstaticly happy with it. As you have found out they are great for steaks also. Next up tandoori chicken.
Thanks again for the inspiration on the cooker Richard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Very cool! Where did you find it, and can I ask how much it was?
I picked it up in person at The Wok Shop (wokshop.com) but this looks like the same cooker for only $30 (before shipping): http://www.templeofthai.com/cookware...6200000562.php

Woodmonkey told me about this place which has other similar cookers: http://importfood.com/dao_cooker.html

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
Mr Baloo
Got Wood.

Man you guys are costing me some bucks..... Now I have to have one of those..... Couldnt you just use one of those kid sized eggs?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That thing is awesome, the food looks like it came out great. Great photo's too...as usual.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Baloo View Post
Man you guys are costing me some bucks..... Now I have to have one of those..... Couldnt you just use one of those kid sized eggs?
I have been using my Mini Egg with a wok but the dome will get in the way of larger woks. A 10" or 12" fits fine on the Mini, maybe up to a 14" (which I don't have). The Thai cooker works great with my 16" wok on less than 1/2 of a Weber chimney of lump (about the same as what I'd burn in the Mini Egg). For larger wok cooks, this is more efficient on lump than loading up my Small or Large BGE.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]

Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #21
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

That looks way cool but not as good as your food!

Looks like you had a custom steel housing created just for this - do tell more...
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #22
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Got a Thai charcoal cooker

Thx Moose! No custom work on it. The odd thing is the cooker on the wok shop site is not the one I found there. Mine is the same as the one on the templeofthai.com site. The craftsmanship is not the cleanest & there's some sharp edges but it has some handmade charm to it and more importantly works well.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

That thing is too cool! And you meal looks farking killer man!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
swamprb

That is very slick! Thanks for sharing those awesome cook pics, John!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
landarc

Man, that is cool. Never seen one of those at The Wok Shop. Very cool.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #26
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Got a Thai charcoal cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Man, that is cool. Never seen one of those at The Wok Shop. Very cool.
I found it buried under a bunch of woks up front near the register Bob. Funny thing was I didn't know they sold them and was going to ask them if they knew of any place in Chinatown to find them.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #27
landarc

John, look up Kamei Restaurant Supply in San Francisco. It is a great store for all sorts of kitchen and dining stuff.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

That thing is very cool and your cooking looks great as usual.

I wonder how well that would work with a paella pan?

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the tip Bob! The Mrs is now very interested in going there so I suspect we'll be shopping soon.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #30
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
That thing is very cool and your cooking looks great as usual.

I wonder how well that would work with a paella pan?
Thx Paul! Good question. Perhaps a small paella pan using briquettes. I gave my smaller paella pan to my bro in law so all I have is a 18" pan which I'd think would get really hot in a small area. Not much control available on heat here:hot & hotter

Tags
Thai charcoal cooker, wok, wok cooker