The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
canoe
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

We usaully buy them by the bushel. They come in a big ole burlap sack unwashed. I usually take the bag dump them on the driveway hose them off put in the back in the cooler. Then we just heat up the grill and throw them on. They start to open after a few minutes. I like them more on the raw side so i eat them as soon as the start to open others let them cook much longer. We also throw them on the grill and as soon as they start to open we shuck some and dress them with blue cheese or spicanch and arichoke dip and put them back on the grill.

My brother lives on the coast so we get the sacks but here in metro atlanta a few suppliers sell boxes of washed oyster which work out well they just cost a few bucks more.

Although we do grill them a good oyster knife/shucker is still helpful. Google Carolina Oyster Knife. These are my favorite. I use old rags/towels to lift and shuck the oysters after grilling. Also if you have an old grill grate use it for the oysters instead of your nicer grates.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

buy a bushel $35.00 to $45.00 take outside gas burner water pan and steamer pan light fireput water pan on and fill with water put steamer pan on throw oysters in , when you see them start to open (around 10 minutes depending on temp)dump them out on the picnic table and repeat process make sure to have melted butter hot suace and crackers
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
Have you tried opening them from the hinge with a standard screwdriver?
Careful with this. It definitely works, but not advisable after more than 2-beers. Ask me how I know?
Original Noobian Warlord
Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #19
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
Good advice so far. I love oysters too.

Not to hyjack but, here's a question about oyster season. I've always heard oysters should be harvested during a month ending in "r". Anybody eles ever hear this? Just curious.

my understanding is, this was due to lack of proper refrigeration for summer months, which is no longer a problem.

είναι το είδος.
deepsouth is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Can you post your recipe for the oysters?
Thanks,
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
cirk
is One Chatty Farker

Shuck oysters grill over a hot fire leave as much liquor in the shell as possible. Melt a stick of unsalted butter, 3 TBS of EVOO, 2 TBS of minced garlic, 1 TSP black pepper together and keep hot.

Spoon butter mix onto oysters while they cook and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and eat!

And shucking sucks!!!!! But if you drink enough it stops hurting!!!!! And its worth it!!!

Unread 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
spyderman
Got rid of the matchlight.

buy a good oyster knife (I second the Carolina Oyster Knife); after shucking the first dozen you will b an expert.
spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
ShadowDriver
Got Wood.

Huge fan of the "heat 'em up on the grill 'till they open" method. If I'm not somewhere I can do that, I typically shoot for the hinge of the shell with a good shucking knife and keep my fingers/toes away at all times.

I'm a simple guy who grew up near the coast of NC... some quality cocktail sauce with plenty of horseradish, lemon, and a touch of Old Bay... then on a saltine (or perhaps not) before down-the-hatch... Fantastic eats.

You're seriously making me crave oysters and they're tough to get in the UK (despite being surrounded by water)!

SD
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
columbia1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Depending on your supplier of Oysters & how you can get them IMO..... We cook a lot of Oysters on a BBQ/Grill & depending on how may people will be attending, typically get a couple of dozen in the shells..... The rest are available shucked and on ice from the source in a plastic "bucket"...... After getting the shelled Oysters to open up & prepped for serving, they are served without shells & the next "round" is under way with the *shucked* Oysters put into the previously used shells for cooking on the grill..... Add butter, garlic, worshy, sauces & seasoning to your liking..... Works well for us..... Most of the time they get eaten shortly after cooking, either on a serving platter or just plop them onto a plate.... Folks typically will be standing around your BBQ/Grill/Smoker waiting..... They also like some seasoning, hot sauce, butter, certain cheeses, etc.
OH YEA!! The plastic bucket!!! We drive out to the coast to oysterville and pick up 2-3 of those buckets a few times a year!!
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #25
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Some of them we have done

Unread 03-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

The only way you will get true Drago's Chargrilled Oysters is to start with Louisiana Oysters. Oysters from any other state is not the same, tast wise and texture wise and size wise.
The Louisiana way is to shuck them. It can be difficult if you don't have the proper tools, such as a oyster shucking knife. A thin screwdriver can be used. The way I do it is take a hammer and lightly tap the lip of the shell. Insert the knife and twist. the shell will pop open. Take the oyster knife and losen the meat.
Keep your oysters on ice or in the fridge while waiting to be cooked.
You also need to get the Drago's recipe. You can find it online. It's not exact but it's pretty close.
I would also stay away from tin foil or anything aluminum. Need to use the oyster shell.
Good Luck, Enjoy and Happy B-Day.

Unread 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman View Post
buy a good oyster knife (I second the Carolina Oyster Knife); after shucking the first dozen you will b an expert.
My wife and I have a little tradition of trying to learn or do something entirely new for each of our birthdays. Sort of a "new year, new skill" philosophy. Some of the highlights have been eating L'escargot (that was an easy one), learning how to ice skate (for me), learning how to shoot skeet (for her) and taking culinary classes.
Since your birthday is coming up, why not take this opportunity to get to the point where you can truthfully say "I used to be really bad at shucking oysters". Get a good oyster knife and watch a few youtube vids on how to do it. In addition to the knife, get a Kevlar glove if you're nervous about hurting yourself. An oyster knife is neither sharp nor pointy, so the risk is small but accidents do happen. Oh, and by the way, MAKE SURE you get an oyster knife and not a clam knife. The clam knife will have a sharpened edge and a much more flexible blade. You'll be a shucking machine in no time. Fresh oysters are WAY better than packed.
Good luck and Happy Birthday!
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
QDoc
Full Fledged Farker

This Is what I do but it is not a recommendation for obvious reasons but it used to be the norm in some very good restaurants befor regulations set in.
I have a bout 3 dozen shell haves and have been using them for years in preparing
Bienville and Rockefeller oysters. The shells have been cleaned ( wire brush) with soap and water and bleach and then boiled in hot water. I let them air dry then place them in a zip lock bag and store in the freezer. Care is taken not to allow any adductor meat or food particles remain after storing. To remove the adductor meat and attachment spine I used a dremmel.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

One more tip. Wear gloves to avoid shoving the knife in your hand. The tip can slip and a glove does help.
Got me wanting some chargrilled oysters. Going to be in Nola next week. May have to stop by Drago's for an appetizer.
Here's the recipe I use.
The Sauce:

1 Stick Unsalted Butter, very soft
1 Pinch Kosher Salt
1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
4 Tbsp Pecorino Romano
1 pinch Cayenne
1 pinch White Pepper
1 Spritz Lemon Juice
1 tsp Minced Italian Parsley
Whisk together all ingredients.

For the Oysters:
1 Dozen Large freshly shucked Oysters on the half shell (preferrably Louisiana) Watch my quicktime video on How to Shuck an Oyster
1 Recipe of the Sauce, above
Pecorino Romano to finish
Minced Italian Parsley for garnish
Fresh Bread
Lemon wedges

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #30
Bama Ron
On the road to being a farker

+1 for putting on grill and letting them open. We do this and sometime eat them just like that or put butter/garlic or a rockefeller type topping on them. Good luck!!
-Cajun Cooker Fryer
*NOT a member of the Secret Squirrel Society because it does not exist!

KCBS
CBJ
Bama Ron is online now   Reply With Quote