The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
JD McGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-07
Location: Duvall, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

[quote=wmaes47;2380447]This is a map of current KCBS Rep locations...

http://goo.gl/maps/LVVJ4

Thanks wmaes...that map surprises me...I knew we only had one here (Mark Silver) but I thought there would be more reps in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
You should do it JD! You'd be great at it!
I would love to but we only get 1 or 2 KCBS comps per year in WA State...and only 1 this year so it would take forever to meet the criteria. Plus...we're not ready to give up cookin' just yet...
__________________
Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ
PNWBA Team of the Year...2011, 2012, & 2013
Founder
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker
 
CivilWarBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Cartersville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Obviously not...or I wouldn't have asked the question!
Sorry - I didn't mean to appear flippant.

I assumed you knew that the Reps are the only people who can "see through the blind" as it is their job to deal with the teams, judges and score cards. Participating or view the Rep's duties while competing at the same time would break the double blind system that is the cornerstone of KCBS.

Not to mention that it would be impossible to be in two places at one time: the Reps are working in the Judging tent at the same time the cooks are preparing their entries.

I agree that their is a shortage of *good* Reps at many times nationwide. On paper it appears that there are sufficient Reps, but there are only a subset that are in high demand. I think more Reps should be created, and the dead wood removed from the pool.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
JD McGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-07
Location: Duvall, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: We need more KCBS Reps up here...

No worries...it's all good! The responsibilities for PNWBA reps are very different in that it IS possible to be a rep and compete at the same comp.
Cheers!
JD

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ
PNWBA Team of the Year...2011, 2012, & 2013
Founder
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
bigdogphin
Take a breath!

 
bigdogphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-12-09
Location: Beaverton, OR
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
No worries...it's all good! The responsibilities for PNWBA reps are very different in that it IS possible to be a rep and compete at the same comp.
Cheers!
JD



Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I know who would have thought an organization for the cooks by the cooks was possible.. Looks like your stuck with us
__________________
Jesse
Movin' The Chains BBQ TEAM

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500

Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #20
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Iso's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-07-12
Location: Monroe, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

KCBS has a couple of ECs up here John. The biggest hurdle is head judges. One event had to fly head judges from Arkansas. That means they had to pay for 2 head judges: round trip airfare, car rental, hotel accommodations, & mileage to/from the airport. This added thousands of dollars to the cost of the event.
__________________
Bryan Lipscy - Dead Man BBQ - Washington State Spring BBQ Championship - April 26 & 27, 2014
Iso is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
tigerpaw
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 06-16-11
Location: Richmond VA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I respectfully disagree with the comments on why would anyone expect a Contest Rep to recommend anyone for taking their job. Have you seen their job?? :) It isn’t really the greatest job in the world. The pay is not that great, they have to deal with any and all issues many of which have nothing to do with their job description, weather issues, travel issues, contest organizers overbooking judges and upset judges who now are not needed, hauling a half a ton of stuff around through own vehicle or rental not to mention getting it all through airports if flying to event - laptops and printers and all the needed paperwork through airports, time away from work and family for up to 4 ½ days per week, etc etc etc And yes I have asked about becoming a CR and been meet with enthusiasm by each current CR I have spoken to about this and their thoughts on the job. This would be three CR’s I have spoken to in past year. Each very enthusiastically said go for it and felt I should try to become one. Blowing smoke? Don’t believe that to be the case. I think some of them don’t like having to be on the road numerous weekends. I also think some are getting burned out for lack of additional people. I also see issues with more contests being added and not anyone stepping up to the plate to help. CR’s are not without a life expectancy. So there needs to be replacements for them coming up through the ranks. Having watched one in particular very closely at several events to get an idea of what I would be in for if I chose to go this route, there would be NO WAY POSSIBLE to rep and cook at same event. He is the energizer bunny. He’s finding power for a team that cannot get any, water for another team that is lacking a connection, filling forms, handing out replacement boxes as needed, assigning team numbers to teams, putting team number on each box, ( 100 team event x 4 boxes = 400 writing a team number on a box lid), then printing off dummy numbers to cover those number and connecting the dummy number to the team number in the system, checking in teams, verifying with each team the clock he is using and the time he has shown, verifying turn in times conducting team meetings, conducting judges meeting, conducting table captain meetings, helping with scoring entry into computer, confirming teams do not if at all possible land a second box entry onto a judges table already that has had an entry from them in another category, assigning judges to tables and dealing with those extra judges who were told to show by contest organizers, trying to please judges, teams and public – seen people come to him and complain to high heaven they are pissed off they can’t sample any of the bbq and blame him for this rather than contest organizers taking it all with understanding - and numerous other duties. Herding cats comes to mind when I think of this job.
tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
big brother smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-06
Location: Ventura, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

[quote=JD McGee;2381165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaes47 View Post
This is a map of current KCBS Rep locations...

http://goo.gl/maps/LVVJ4

Thanks wmaes...that map surprises me...I knew we only had one here (Mark Silver) but I thought there would be more reps in California.



I would love to but we only get 1 or 2 KCBS comps per year in WA State...and only 1 this year so it would take forever to meet the criteria. Plus...we're not ready to give up cookin' just yet...


California has two great Reps, that are not listed, Kelly and Kathleen Mcintosh.
__________________
Peace and Smoke,
BBS

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #23
wmaes47
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 06-25-09
Location: Denver, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default They are on the map...

[quote=big brother smoke;2384483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post

California has two great Reps, that are not listed, Kelly and Kathleen Mcintosh.
I trained beside Kathleen and Kelly... They are very good

Zoom into the area where San Diego is located and click on the left flame...

They are on the list at the left, also...


.
__________________
Grillin' Ain't Real Barbeque
wmaes47 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
big brother smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-06
Location: Ventura, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

[quote=wmaes47;2384531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post

I trained beside Kathleen and Kelly... They are very good

Zoom into the area where San Diego is located and click on the left flame...
Yup, the zooming worked, thanks.
__________________
Peace and Smoke,
BBS

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #25
Prairie Smoke
On the road to being a farker

 
Prairie Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-01-08
Location: Regina, SK
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default We need more KCBS Reps up here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
No worries...it's all good! The responsibilities for PNWBA reps are very different in that it IS possible to be a rep and compete at the same comp.
Cheers!
JD

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
This isn't really true - "Rep" means different things between these two sanctioning bodies. PNWBA "reps" are just volunteers (typically board members) that assist the event organizer. KCBS "Reps" are equivalent to PNWBA head judges. In the PNWBA it's not possible to be a head judge and compete at the same event.
Hopefully I haven't misunderstood what you're getting at...
__________________
Cooking on:
JR Enterprises 23-60 stickburner (on catering trailer)
Primo XL Oval, Traeger BBQ200, Traeger LilTex
Memphis Pro
FEC-100
Southern Pride XLR-1400, SPK-500
WSM x 4, UDS, Weber 22" OTG
You don't win friends with salad!
@prairie_smoke
Prairie Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #26
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker
 
ThomEmery's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-20-05
Location: Indio Ca.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Amen on the K and K
__________________
Catering, Contests, and Community Service

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
JD McGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-07
Location: Duvall, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: We need more KCBS Reps up here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Smoke View Post
This isn't really true - "Rep" means different things between these two sanctioning bodies. PNWBA "reps" are just volunteers (typically board members) that assist the event organizer. KCBS "Reps" are equivalent to PNWBA head judges. In the PNWBA it's not possible to be a head judge and compete at the same event.
Hopefully I haven't misunderstood what you're getting at...
Nope...you got it Rob. H/J and rep are two different responsibilities for PNWBA I know. I did not know they were one in the same for KCBS.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ
PNWBA Team of the Year...2011, 2012, & 2013
Founder
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

 
Rich Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-20-09
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpaw View Post
I respectfully disagree with the comments on why would anyone expect a Contest Rep to recommend anyone for taking their job. Have you seen their job?? :) It isn’t really the greatest job in the world. The pay is not that great, they have to deal with any and all issues many of which have nothing to do with their job description, weather issues, travel issues, contest organizers overbooking judges and upset judges who now are not needed, hauling a half a ton of stuff around through own vehicle or rental not to mention getting it all through airports if flying to event - laptops and printers and all the needed paperwork through airports, time away from work and family for up to 4 ½ days per week, etc etc etc And yes I have asked about becoming a CR and been meet with enthusiasm by each current CR I have spoken to about this and their thoughts on the job. This would be three CR’s I have spoken to in past year. Each very enthusiastically said go for it and felt I should try to become one. Blowing smoke? Don’t believe that to be the case. I think some of them don’t like having to be on the road numerous weekends. I also think some are getting burned out for lack of additional people. I also see issues with more contests being added and not anyone stepping up to the plate to help. CR’s are not without a life expectancy. So there needs to be replacements for them coming up through the ranks. Having watched one in particular very closely at several events to get an idea of what I would be in for if I chose to go this route, there would be NO WAY POSSIBLE to rep and cook at same event. He is the energizer bunny. He’s finding power for a team that cannot get any, water for another team that is lacking a connection, filling forms, handing out replacement boxes as needed, assigning team numbers to teams, putting team number on each box, ( 100 team event x 4 boxes = 400 writing a team number on a box lid), then printing off dummy numbers to cover those number and connecting the dummy number to the team number in the system, checking in teams, verifying with each team the clock he is using and the time he has shown, verifying turn in times conducting team meetings, conducting judges meeting, conducting table captain meetings, helping with scoring entry into computer, confirming teams do not if at all possible land a second box entry onto a judges table already that has had an entry from them in another category, assigning judges to tables and dealing with those extra judges who were told to show by contest organizers, trying to please judges, teams and public – seen people come to him and complain to high heaven they are pissed off they can’t sample any of the bbq and blame him for this rather than contest organizers taking it all with understanding - and numerous other duties. Herding cats comes to mind when I think of this job.
I understand that the KCBS reps do a lot of work but it is a bad policy that can lead to these cliques. It is definitely not a fair policy and brings down the integrity of the reps in whole.

Certain areas of the country have to pay thousands of dollars to fly reps in our pay for their fuel.

It would be nice to see KCBS adopt a policy where every event pays the same amount for reps and then they would be better at making sure there were reps within a reasonable distance or then not sanction the event.
__________________
WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com sponsored by Deep South Smokers
Rich Parker is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker
 
CivilWarBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Cartersville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

With all due respect, why is a Rep involving themselves with power and water issues? Infrastructure support is the job of the event organizer, NOT the Rep.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #30
tigerpaw
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 06-16-11
Location: Richmond VA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
With all due respect, why is a Rep involving themselves with power and water issues? Infrastructure support is the job of the event organizer, NOT the Rep.
Because thats who teams come to complain to. I am not saying it's right but I have watched teams come again and again to the CR to complain they have not had their power hook up or water run to their site yet amoung other such items. CR is not responsible for suplying you are correct. But to try and help teams and make them happy with a KCBS event they go the extra mile to accomidate them.
tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts