The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #16
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Just a thought, the deeper your pot is the more coals it takes on top to bake with. My shallower dutch ovens are my go to's for making a pizza or a cake, but I use my deeper ones for making stews or beans or soups while out camping. Also, don't be scared of used cast iron, i have a skillet that was originally my great grandmothers, and it is by far the best of my collection, you couldn't get something to stick to it if you wanted to.

Unread 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #17
TRS
On the road to being a farker

I have 4 Lodge DO's and 4 skillets. Excellent quality and as mentioned, MADE IN THE USA!

Unread 02-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I am looking at buying the LCC3 myself - it seems just the right size for what I want to do. The dutch oven combo looks good but I just just don't want to deal with that size.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #19
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
I prefer the type that will allow coals to be stacked on top.
Those are the camp Dutch ovens. They have a ridge to keep the coals and ash from falling into your food when you peek. They also have feet so they don't crush any coals that you set them on.

(If that link doesn't work, just search Amazon for "Lodge Logic Camp Dutch Oven.")

If you're really planning on camp cookery (vs. putting the DO in a Weber kettle or the oven) this is what you want.

I wouldn't worry about used. Just put it in a hot camp fire (and allow to cool slowly) or run it through the self cleaning cycle in your oven and any residue and seasoning will be burned off.

An interesting article on seasoning CI.

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Seems to me you have to decide which is more important: the handle on the skillet... or the larger capacity of the other one.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I just bought the LCC3 from Amazon - 29.00 and free shipping

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #22
KingViper
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

If you have one in the area, try stopping by a Home Goods, TJ Maxx, or Marshall's and see what they have in stock. I got my Lodge 12" Cast Iron Skillet for $12.99 from there.

This is it.

KingViper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

I bought the double dutch about 2 months ago (unfortunately not nearly as great of a deal) and I'm just waiting for a day to throw some extra seasoning cycles on it before using.

I'm pretty comfortable with using my skillet however I like chili and I'm concerned the tomato sauce will eat through the intial seasoning layer...trying to think what else to make to help season it.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I'm pretty comfortable with using my skillet however I like chili and I'm concerned the tomato sauce will eat through the intial seasoning layer...trying to think what else to make to help season it.
I have started seasoning my cast iron with Flaxseed oil – on a new item I will coat it and bake it at 325 degrees in the oven. I will coat and bake it 6-7 times before I cook with it.

Someone on this forum suggested that in another thread and I read more on it. It worked great for me.

Unread 02-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Many great comments.
Once you venture into CI, you will be hooked!
Stay with Lodge, I just recently (on Sunday) got a gift of two "pizza pans"
The ideas was so I could make deep dish style pizza in our WFO.
All I can say is they are not Lodge, PERIOD.
They are sold under the Camp Chef name by Bed Bath and Beyond.
First they are not deep enough for "deep dish" style pizza, they are poorly cast with sharp edges, many pits and "pores", made in China and are going back!!!

Keeping them seasoned is very easy.

My current selection...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130227_123048_965.jpg (43.5 KB, 43 views)

[COLOR=Red]My Build[/COLOR]:
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #26
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the tips! I'm set on Lodge for sure now and can't wait to get cooking on CI again.

Unread 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #27
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

I've been looking at the combo cooker myself for camping as I like the versatility. If you want to see what it can do, check out Cowgirl's blog, she uses one pretty regularly from the looks of all of her awesome cooks.

As far as the Dutch Oven goes, you need to decide how you are going to be cooking with it outdoors. If you have a camp stove for instance, you are going to want a Dutch Oven:

If you are wanting to cook over coals, then you want a Camp Oven (its the one with feet that you can put coals on top of).

Either way, I'd get one with a bail handle. You won't regret having the handle for one handed transport of the Dutch Oven...it also helps in hanging the Dutch Oven from a shepard's hook or a tripod.

Unread 02-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was lucky enough to find a bunch of CI on craigslist a few years ago, one of which was a 12" lodge skillet. Easily my favorite skillet today. I also got a Lodge 16" camp skillet that I use every year at our annual Cub Scout camp out.

You might give CL a look. I got 6 skillets of all different sizes and makes for $60.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote