MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR View Post
a plow/harrow disk may work as well
Do you know where to buy a disc harrow blade? I can't find one anywhere around Charlotte.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Wsm 22.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaQ View Post
Do you know where to buy a disc harrow blade? I can't find one anywhere around Charlotte.
Tractor supply maybe, or any old farm may have them laying around.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Using water will also result in the coals burning hotter just to heat up the water. If you do use water, try to heat the water as high as possible before pouring it into the pan. This will help reduce the energy required to heat the water.

I use foil only.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

I have tried both. I prefer the way the que comes out when using water. If I plan on running 265 or less I run water. Any temp over that is hard to achieve with water.

I suggest using water at first and then experiment. I found no water seemed to make a "dry jerky like" bark I didn't quite care for on some meats, mainly ribs.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
greazyg
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
I have tried both. I prefer the way the que comes out when using water. If I plan on running 265 or less I run water. Any temp over that is hard to achieve with water.

I suggest using water at first and then experiment. I found no water seemed to make a "dry jerky like" bark I didn't quite care for on some meats, mainly ribs.
Have you tried foiling the ribs at any time during the cook? The only reason I ask is I have a WSM and I have not tried going waterless, although I want to because I burn the living hell out of charcoal.
greazyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

I have been using a foil covered pizza stone that I set in the foil lined water pan.

It really stabilized the temps.

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Foil only, no water. Really saw no difference between the two.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

You need to use water and also a foiled pan just so you will know how water affects the temp. I cooked baby backs last Sat. at 280 and used water. I like water with ribs. I think it helps keep them from drying out. Water will cause you to go through more charcoal as you have to keep the water at the cooking temp or higher but I think it is worth it. My reasoning is that many of the other really good vertical smokers use a water pan. Backwoods comes to mind.

If I don't use water, I have a clay flower pot base I put in the pan and then cover both with foil. If you use water, spray the pan with Pam before adding water. Makes clean up a breeze.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

I never use water. Foiled clay flower pot base, with a layer of foil over the top of that. Cleanup is easy and I can run my WSM as high as I want. If doing chicken only, I will remove the clay flower pot base and just foil the pan. Easy to stay above 300° by manipulating the intake vents at the bottom.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greazyg View Post
Have you tried foiling the ribs at any time during the cook? The only reason I ask is I have a WSM and I have not tried going waterless, although I want to because I burn the living hell out of charcoal.
Yeah. Still ends up with a chewy crust for me.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #26
TomB
Full Fledged Farker

I like easy. Just foil the water pan and go. No water. No mess. Try both water and no water to see what works best for you.
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Mini-WSM
Weber Genesis gas grill
Smokey Mountain gas smoker
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #27
douglaslizard
Full Fledged Farker

if you are going for a long cook then you are going to use alot of fuel with water.
22.5" Weber OTS
bbq pro offset smoker
bbq grillware stainless charcoal grill
2 ecbs
120 Gallon stickburner
GO GATORS
douglaslizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #28
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Wsm 22.5

I've been doing most of my cooks between 275-325 so I ditched the water. At my altitude, I was unable to break 250 with everything wide open and water in the pan. Haven't noticed a difference in quality other than my quality of extra sleep. Not to mention I still have a huge dead spot in my grass from where I accidentally dumped my water the last time I used it.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #29
DLR
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaQ View Post
Peaspurple suggestion sounds good I never thought of them. I tried searching the net and found a few but where I work we have laser cutters and they cut me a disk so I stopped looking. You could check a few metal shops or weld shops in your area if they have plasma cutters they could do the same. I really like the way it works because all I want is a barrier and the sand just wasn't what I was hoping for. Clean up is still easy I foil the disk only and haven't had to change the pan foil but once last Summer. The temps are easy to control because there isn't anything absorbing the heat before it releases it like sand or water. The foiled pan would probably be just fine it's just that I read where a couple of people said they warped the pan by running it empty and the disk I think will keep that from happening.