The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Im glad im not alone.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
BoDean
Found some matches.

Just a lid for my UDS. Most of the rest came VERY cheep.
BoDean is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

My offset was supposed to be 500 bucks and a couple weekends worth of work. matter of fact it wasn't supposed a smoker at all at first.. but me and my dad kept adding and adding.. and 2500 dollars and 5 months later ... its a smoker.. lol.. it happens.. its better to build what you want instead of trying to change it later.. even if that means breaking the bank in the short term.. you have what you want in the end. and you are more proud of it because you build it with your own hands..
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

wife: "What do you want for Father's Day?"
me: "Don't worry about it. I bought myself something."
wife: "Whad'ya buy a new smoker?"
me:
wife:
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
This is mostly a UDS question, but other smokers absolutely apply. How many of you built/bought your smoker for a good price, and slowly added add ons to it, to realize down the road you have spent a lot more money on this than you ever expected?

Example, my UDS cost me about 80 bucks to build. Then i needed a bigger basket, then i needed different venting system, then i needed another venting system, then i needed a table on it, then i needed a weber lid, then i wanted to paint it, etc.

All of this has happened over about 2 months. I jsut kept saying, oh its only gonna be 15 bucks to add the table, oh im good found a weber lid on CL for cheap, and this and that. Then i added it up (something i shouldnt have done, and suggest you dont do) and realized im up to like 200 bucks. Where did this money even come from!!!!

Is this a common occurrence for you guys also?
No....cough..cough....Yes....but it happens with most anything you buy.

You buy a DSLR camera. You need an external flash. You need close-up and tele lenses. You need bigger SD cards. BOOM! Money is gone.

You buy/build any rig. You add grates, lids, ATCs, baskets, etc. BOOM! Money is gone.

You start with chicken thighs, you move up to ABTs, fatties, ribs, bellies, tri-tips, chuckies, butts, and finally.....brisket. BOOM! Money is gone.

Just tell your other half to enjoy the fruits of your smoking labor.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I went from

el cheap-o brinkman offset -> weber kettles -> WSM's -> big green egg -> kamado joe

Only ones I've kept are the kettles and kamado joe. I'm thinking of adding a well built offset to the collection, of course well in the future. As well as build a in ground santa maria grill that can dub as a fire pit for entertaining.

One can never have too many toys.

Wife dont complain much anymore. She eats well.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
samfsu
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basted moral support guy View Post

Here it is, dirty, mid cook, and showing off the part I forgot to paint.
Looks like you got a little anal leakage there.....

Unread 02-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
Basted moral support guy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
Looks like you got a little anal leakage there.....
Indeed I do.

Unread 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
This is mostly a UDS question, but other smokers absolutely apply. How many of you built/bought your smoker for a good price, and slowly added add ons to it, to realize down the road you have spent a lot more money on this than you ever expected?

Example, my UDS cost me about 80 bucks to build. Then i needed a bigger basket, then i needed different venting system, then i needed another venting system, then i needed a table on it, then i needed a weber lid, then i wanted to paint it, etc.

All of this has happened over about 2 months. I jsut kept saying, oh its only gonna be 15 bucks to add the table, oh im good found a weber lid on CL for cheap, and this and that. Then i added it up (something i shouldnt have done, and suggest you dont do) and realized im up to like 200 bucks. Where did this money even come from!!!!

Is this a common occurrence for you guys also?
look at it this way:

you couldn't walk in any store with $200 and come out with a smoker like the UDS!!! i've been slacking on finishing mine and recently i've gotten back on it. i dont have much free time but i'll eventually get it done

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #25
batannah
Found some matches.

here a $20 there a $20 every where a $20 $20. Old McDonald Built a smoker..... But now the pigs and cows are making sizzling sounds!!!
batannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

my wife claims I coo--coo-...and I had to agree...I only have 16 cooker / grills / smokers and no one should be deprived and have less than 20.....
you wouldn't own a truck without 35's on it would you?

Unread 02-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Yep,

Started with a free drum that didn't have a lid, then I bought a drum, made a flat top uds with one shelf and fridge magnets for vents, then my son wanted one so we burned out the barrel, then we found a weber on cl, but it was too nice, so we bought another weber on cl, then I put one ball valve and 2 capped pipe nipples, then I decided I wanted 3 ball valves.

So my one uds from a free drum that was going to cost me only $50 turned into 2 uds and 3 weber kettles, with probably a total of $300-$400.

Buy I don't feel bad.

I have a buddy that wanted to build an offset smoker. Told his wife he was going to spend $700. $7,000 later and still adding to it he has a very nice BBQ trailer.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber

Last edited by vafish; 02-22-2013 at 06:49 AM..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #28
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Sigh, its a ugly downward spiral here..

Started with a:
WSM, then a Stumps stretch, then a PR60 pig cooker, then a bubba keg, then a trailer for these new competition things we are doing, that led to thousands more, then on to a toy hauler, sigh, now add backwoods, hasnt stopped yet, i keep thinking i have everything i need and i keep finding more i need....

Great food, fun on the weekends with great new friends, and time with my family, I am one lucky sob...

I have one understanding wife...
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Meadowcreek PR60
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Uuni pellet fired pizza oven
Goddahavit is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #29
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

You get more than you put into it! Its the gift that keeps giving.
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #30
NickyG
On the road to being a farker

I have to agree. First the WSM--Guru--Weber Grill--Backwoods Gater--(Scared to see what's next!). My wife does feed my addiction though. Anytime she sees a smoker or grill for sale she ask if I need it!