The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
Richard_
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

what's your budget , and what kind of cooking do you do ?
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
smokeylips
Knows what a fatty is.

I a have a Komodo Kamado and it is unbelievably well built. It was expensive but you can see the quality! It will smoke cheese to cook pizza. Best thing I ever bought! You would not be disappointed and the customer service is first rate.
smokeylips is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
lodemia
Found some matches.

Everyone will have their opinion, but I like my egg. I have a dealer within 7 miles, who treats me fairly, has honored every warranty claim i've had, and stocks a good assortment of wood and rubs. I like my egg, but I love the service I get from a local dealer.

Looking forward to adding another one this summer, hopefully!
lodemia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

You are looking at 2 very different type of cookers. The Kamado's, including the BGE, are very versatile and are set it and forget it type cookers. In fact, the less you open them during the cook, the better. The offset will have similar type of time requirements that you had with the Banderas. But, the flavor and style of cooking is more what you are used to.
SS Performer
Jumbo Joe
Smokey Joe Silver
Stoker wifi
Stealthy super fast grey thermapen
Vacmaster vp112
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
SimcoBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

All kamado's have pros and kons , I've sold and owned several! I'll just list the pros for the ones I've owned
BGE has several accessories , aftermarket and oem
Primo has a unique shape and is made in the USA
Grill Dome has thicker thicker ceramic , stainless hardware , spring assist lid & different colors.
All are great grills and smokers , just different features!

Unread 02-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #21
ckkphoto

Downloads:
Uploads:

I appreciate everyone's input. It sounds like the kamado style smoker is more efficient than the horizontal style at the trade off of capacity but won't rust. I will go back to haunting the site while I make up my mind. Love listening to everyone's experience.

Unread 02-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #22
Greeny03
Got rid of the matchlight.

Only got my Kamado Joe yesterday morning. By the evening I had cooked some Mediterranean chicken Drumetts!
Then some lambs ribs
And then early ours of this morning, a low and slow pork! 3hrs into the cool
8hrs later, it's done(well crude thermometer)
Then foiled and rested for 2hrs and then pulled
I have only cooked with charcoal/lump a few times prior to this on a crude cooker. The Kamado made it some much easier and easy to maintain temp! No adding more lump as it burnt out of control as in the past. Just start it, let it burn in for a bit, get near the desired temp and start changing the draft to suit. Once set, it stayed pretty well on target!
Gotta say I love it!
Greeny03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #23
shirknwrk
Take a breath!

You can easily smoke 4 slabs of St. Louis trimmed spares or 6 slabs of babybacks on the BGE/Kamado Joe using the Adjustable Rig with oval cooking grids. (Ceramic grill store). With the "Slide Guide" option, you can remove the top and middle grid without removing the entire adjustable rig. (Which is easy to do) You can actually cook on 3 levels if you use the "Spider" and 13" pizza stone as a heat deflector but you might singe the ends of the slab as the stone wouldn't protect them. (You can cover the tips with foil, though).

The offset style cooker is the least efficient style of cooker... and requires the most attention... fun if you have the time and like fire tending. Kamados (including the Broil King Keg) are the most efficient and the vertical smokers are somewhere in the middle. An insulated vertical smoker can be nearly as efficient as a Kamado.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/photo-gallery.html
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

The Pup is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
brother steve
Got Wood.

I love my Primo! American made! If I am correct they are made in Georgia.
brother steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
K80Shooter
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother steve View Post
I love my Primo! American made! If I am correct they are made in Georgia.
Yes, made in Norcross Ga. I used to work a few miles from them. I priced them before I got my XL-BGE. I got them to quote me a blemished Xl and it was more than a XL egg with nothing wrong with it.

I did shop around and got a real good deal on my egg, even went to the egg store in Tucker for a price and still got it else where. Overall it's been the best buy I have ever made.