喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Unread 02-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Mammoth Mountain
Knows what a fatty is.

Location: Orting Wa up on the hillside of a Volcano Mt. Rainier
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Austin TX BBQ Road Trip

I am headed down to Austin TX the first 4 days of March. I want to hit as many Great BBQ places. I plan on Franklin's, The Salt Lick , and The Countyline. I have never been to Austin so I don't have a clue as where to eat some good Q. Any suggestions? I am flying into San Antonio and driving to Austin.
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Those three are good. Also been to Iron Works BBQ in Austin - pretty good as well. Lot's of good Q, as you know, in the area - you will not go hungry.
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Mammoth Mountain
Knows what a fatty is.

I come from a place with Great Seafood and Coffee and really BAD BBQ. I am excited!
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I used to go to Sam's on east 12th back in the 80's. I loved it then, have no idea what it's like now. They're known for serving mutton.

I also used to love the Tamale House at 51st and Airport - good cheap Mexican food.

Neither of these places are fancy at all, but I remember the food and people being great.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
yakdung
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth Mountain View Post
I am headed down to Austin TX the first 4 days of March. I want to hit as many Great BBQ places. I plan on Franklin's, The Salt Lick , and The Countyline. I have never been to Austin so I don't have a clue as where to eat some good Q. Any suggestions? I am flying into San Antonio and driving to Austin.
I was going to cut and paste the phone numbers and address, but I found this link. There are many BBQ joints in Texas, and a lot of them are a small drive around the Austin area. It may take a day trip from Austin to hit some of the great ones. It will help if you have access to a GPS. Hope this helps and welcome to Texas!:

http://amazingribs.com/one_nation_un..._barbecue.html
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Head east out of San Antonio to Luling and hit City Market, then go north to Lockhart to hit Smitty's, Black's and Kreuz's on your way up to Austin.

Franklin's in Austin is a time commitment since you have to show up so early, but is well worth it. Salt Lick is pretty good BBQ and a great overall experience. County Line is not in the league of the other joints.

Mueller's in Taylor has always been excellent for me and worth the extra effort.

Remember to check out the hours these joints are open. Some of the best ones close early and are not open on Sunday.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Mammoth Mountain
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks like I will have bring some larger sized clothes. Thanks for the suggestions I plan on hitting as many as I can.
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
smokeisgood
Full Fledged Farker

Might as well stop in and hit a Rudy's while you're there...
smokeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Head east out of San Antonio to Luling and hit City Market, then go north to Lockhart to hit Smitty's, Black's and Kreuz's on your way up to Austin.

Franklin's in Austin is a time commitment since you have to show up so early, but is well worth it. Salt Lick is pretty good BBQ and a great overall experience. County Line is not in the league of the other joints.

Mueller's in Taylor has always been excellent for me and worth the extra effort.

Remember to check out the hours these joints are open. Some of the best ones close early and are not open on Sunday.

I've eaten at City Market many times - its a good BBQ joint for sure.
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Those are about all, I don't really go out for bbq, but if I did I would go to Franklins it's the best authentic q joint you'll eat at tell I build my own trailer
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
RL Reeves Jr
Knows what a fatty is.

The old lion of Texas barbecue is waging another comeback. Opens next week. Grandson of Louie Mueller; John, opening up John Mueller Meat Co. on e.6th street at Pedernales. Beef ribs are money. Details http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/food/...n-Austin-Texas
RL Reeves Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Mammoth Mountain
Knows what a fatty is.

OK John Mueller will be on my gastric route. Thanks for posting about him. My trip is only about BBQ. The Wife said 4 days of around the clock was not for her. 7 days in Georgia was interesting last year. Learned a lot, not just from Myron Mixon's school.
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
caseydog

Downloads: 1

The Austin/SanAntonio area is surrounded by the Texas Hill Country, which is where THE BEST BBQ can be found.

Lockhart calls it's self the Capital of Texas BBQ, for good reason. You have Smitty's Market, Blacks BBQ and Kreuz Market, all in one small town. All three are easily in the top ten, IMO.

I also like Coopers in Llano, as well as Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor. I also like The Salt Lick, but some people think it is too commercial. I use their rub recipe a lot -- equal parts k-salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.

There are way too many good places in the Hill Country to hit in four days, especially if you have other things to do.

Just remember, the signature Texas BBQ is brisket, and the Traditional Hill Country brisket is rubbed with salt and pepper only. Get some of that.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
gtr

Downloads: 2

If you see Elgin or New Braunfels sausage, don't think. Just eat.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
ushi
Knows what a fatty is.

as scrumptious says, hit up jmueller. Also a lockhart adventure, you have 4 to choose there, kruez, smitty's, black's, chisolm trail. Black's has consistently put out my favorite brisket there. I actually prefer black's brisket at it's peak over franklin as it has a more pronounced bark.

Another place worth the trip that was the hypebeast a few years ago -
snow's bbq in up in lexington.

Also of note if you are in Austin - micklethwait craft meats, sam's, stiles switch.

I'd honestly pass on rudy's, county line, and salt lick. I don't like being a naysayer, but county line and salt lick are pretty much clusterfarked all the time and just kind of pales in comparison to all your other options. Rudy's is what it is, ie, you were on your way home and realized there is no food in the kitchen and oh hey rudy's is right here lemme just turn off and grab some take out. I would not go out of my way for it.

tl;dr
hit up j mueller
brave the line at franklin (bring booze)
take a trip out to lockhart / taylor / elgin / lexington
if you have time leftover try
sam's, micklethwait, and stiles switch.
ushi is offline   Reply With Quote