The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ET 732 Defect

I got my ET 732 3 days ago. I have done 2 test dry runs trying to tune my smoker. Well I got this 14lb brisket ready to go on this morning and low and behold my BBQ is probe right and my meat probe is stuck on 142 and I haven't even started the pit yet. I followed all the instructions in this forum, grommet ed the hole they go through etc, and this. What should I do?
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
BobM
Babbling Farker

Make sure the probe is fully seated in it's connector.
Try putting in a new set of batteries.
If not, it will still be under warranty, contact them.
| Maverick ET-732 |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

What he said, plus...

Swap the probes.
That should tell you if it is a probe or thermometer problem.

I keep several spare probes, not only for the 732 but my Taylors.
I buy them when they are on sale.
Seldom need one since I started Heat Shrinking the probe to cable junction, but nice to have around if I want/need one.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
BayoustateBBQ

Yeah I tried all That, probe seated, swapped probes etc. It's no doubt the probe. That's not saying alot for 2 runs
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Unread 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Get your money back and go buy a 5.00 analog stick thermo they never let me down. I learned that lesson after spending a few "C" notes on all that electronic BS. that keeps breaking, and No batteries to run down at midnite.

Unread 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
BayoustateBBQ

After getting these I have found a 50 degree difference between my old analogs. I was just hoping to stick that probe in the point and pull it when it reached 205 degrees. I bought it off amazon so I'm waiting for them to call me. I have a good digi meat pen so I'll just have to fall back on that.
[/SIZE]

Unread 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ View Post
After getting these I have found a 50 degree difference between my old analogs. I was just hoping to stick that probe in the point and pull it when it reached 205 degrees. I bought it off amazon so I'm waiting for them to call me. I have a good digi meat pen so I'll just have to fall back on that.
Calibrate them.
Now repeat the following until committed to memory
BBQ RULES

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Unread 02-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I got my ET 732 3 days ago. I have done 2 test dry runs trying to tune my smoker. Well I got this 14lb brisket ready to go on this morning and low and behold my BBQ is probe right and my meat probe is stuck on 142 and I haven't even started the pit yet. I followed all the instructions in this forum, grommet ed the hole they go through etc, and this. What should I do?
When probes go bad they tend to read LLL or HHH. I have not had any issues with a drastic temp difference. Any chance the meat probe is accidently from a differnt unit? I know that if I take a ET-73 probe by accident and put it in my ET-732 I will see what is happening to you.
The BBQ Equipment Store
www.bbqequipmentstore.com
Proud 2013 Sponsor of Degüello BBQ, Christmas City BBQ, Lo'-N-Slo BBQ, Bar-B-Que Mayham, Uncle Bucks, Finns Finest, Pigheaded, Simply Q and Little Lukes BBQ
No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
BayoustateBBQ

Probes worked fine first couple times. Just before I started the smoker BBQ read 65 meat probe read 142. Tried all the troubleshooting and the same result. Was just about call Maverick this morning plugged it in and the meat probe is now reading the ambient air temp of the bbq probe which is 65 degrees. so fingers crossed I guess it's working again.
[/SIZE]

Unread 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

How did you clean them the 2 times you used it?

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
BayoustateBBQ

lightly wiped the probe with iso alcohol not touching the connection. Alcohol takes the film on in one wipe. Didn't wipe around the wire to probe connection at all. It was 90% alcohol not the 70% with more water
[/SIZE]

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
lightly wiped the probe with iso alcohol not touching the connection. Alcohol takes the film on in one wipe. Didn't wipe around the wire to probe connection at all. It was 90% alcohol not the 70% with more water
You are doing that right. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing and it will work fine from here on out or if it is broken you will find out soon enough that it is still under warranty.

Unread 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
schmitty28

I know this sounds stupid but I recently ordered a new probe for my 732 also and found out it wasn't the 732 replacement probe, it was for the model before the 732. I had the same results, my probe was stuck at 142 until I figured this out recheck your email confirm the probe tips are identical as mine were different

Unread 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
BayoustateBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty28 View Post
I know this sounds stupid but I recently ordered a new probe for my 732 also and found out it wasn't the 732 replacement probe, it was for the model before the 732. I had the same results, my probe was stuck at 142 until I figured this out recheck your email confirm the probe tips are identical as mine were different
ordered off of amazon. How do you tell if the probes are for a diff model?. My bbq probe is approx 4", my meat probe is alot longer and curved. They look about the same as the prod pic
[/SIZE]