The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How much wood could...

How much wood and what types of wood are used for smokes? I have been using apple for most of my butts, but I have recently heard that apple contains the most pesticides of all woods. I have also used the Jack Daniels wood chips but didn't think much of them. Thoughts?

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

What kind of Smoker???
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Depends on your smoker.. some UDS types take only a few chunks... My Stick Burner will burn much more wood in the same amount of time.. so thats why i'm asking what kind of smoker...
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

I have large Big Green Egg.

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Post oak & Mesquite because I get it free if you don't count the saw gas ,oil and labor to cut split & stack it. Chips are for grilling unless your running an all electric box. BGE = chunks. Try some Pecan & Hickory. 3-4 Manly fist sized pieces per cook.

Last edited by Bludawg; 02-08-2013 at 09:52 PM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
cliffcarter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrrock View Post
How much wood and what types of wood are used for smokes? I have been using apple for most of my butts, but I have recently heard that apple contains the most pesticides of all woods. I have also used the Jack Daniels wood chips but didn't think much of them. Thoughts?
Apple wood does not contain any pesticides. Pesticides used in orchards are water soluable and have to be reapplied after a rain. This is why you are urged to rinse fruit before you eat it. If you are really worried about it find apple trees that no longer produce fruit.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
KotaChuk678
On the road to being a farker

I love Mesquite and try to use as much as I can get my hands on but being from the NE we do not have many choices other than that and Hickory that I don't care for much.

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
BayoustateBBQ

Here's a start:

"Flavorite" Barbecue Woods

Barbecue woods that are used vary greatly depending on demographic location and other factors and variables. Two of the favorites from here in the Oklahoma area is hickory and mesquite. In Texas it is predominately mesquite.
I have listed all of the popular types of wood below with a short description of each however I highly recommend that you do not take anyone's word for it (including my own) but that you will experiment and see what works for you.
Types of Barbecue Woods

Apple: Produces a sweet, fruity taste.Good mild wood which works well on poultry and ham.
Alder: What can I say about this barbecue wood… it is the wood that is greatly preferred for most any fish especially salmon.
Cherry: Similar to apple… sweet and usually very fruity depending on the age of the wood. Tends to be mild making it a good choice for poultry, fish, and ham.
Hickory: Probably the most well known woods and while lots of folk may disagree, it tends to be a bit to pungent for my own taste therefore great care must be taken so that it is not overused. Most feel it is excellent on ribs and most red meats. Can also be used very sparingly on cuts of poultry. (should be able to get this at the local hardware/department store)
Maple: Gives a light and sweet taste which best compliments poultry and ham.
Mesquite: My personal favorite barbecue wood however, great care must be taken or it can become overpowering. Best not used for larger cuts which require longer smoking times but I have been known to be quite successful at it by using it in tandem with another type of wood. (should be able to get this at the local hardware/department store)
Oak: Good choice for larger cuts which require longer smoking times. Produces a strong smoke flavor but usually not overpowering. Good wood for Brisket.
Pecan: Gives somewhat of a fruity flavor and burns cooler than most other barbecue woods. It is similar to Hickory and is best used on large cuts like brisket and pork roast but can also be used to compliment chops, fish and poultry.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
KotaChuk678

whatta bout this Peach that Fruita offers, kinda interested any opinions?

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
BobM
Babbling Farker

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Sorry, I had to post that.
| Maverick ET-732 |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
KotaChuk678

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post

Sorry, I had to post that.
I knew that!

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
As much ground a groundhog could grind if a groundhog could grind ground

you don't know how long I've been waiting to answer that question

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

I love hickory and/or maple for all my pork cooks. Don't do much beef but the little bit I have done has been with oak. I do like the JD smoking chips for chicken but mesquite usually is used for my chicken cooks.