ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #16
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I really want to hate the briqs, but I had a couple bags of KBB and they were the easiest, lowest maintenance cooks I've had. Tons more ash, though

Unread 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

I use lump (RO) in my WSM with no issues. I've done overnight cooks on it as well with no problems, and generally don't need to add any fuel for 10-12 hours.
I load up the ring with lump and some wood chunks, and add around 3/4 chimney of lit lump to the top, and it runs for 10+ hours with no trouble.
you should spend a few weekends doing all day cooks, sitting next to your cooker with a cooler full of beer...just to make sure you get the hang of it

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

I use KBB. (That maybe because I bought a ton last sale at Wallyworld)

Husband, Father and well...that is the important stuff. (Not so super fast White Pocket Thermometer, WSM, Char-Griller Gasser with awesome Grillgrates)
basuraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have to Call BS on Lump not lasting or doing well with the Minion method. I use lump in my UDS I have since the first burn 3 yrs ago 10 lb will go 20+ hrs. I use Lump in the Kettle with the ring of fire and get 16 hr burns at 275. You can BS a BSh*t'er but son you can't Snow the Iceman.

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #20
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I also like a briquette/lump combo in my wsm's. It just burns cleaner if I dump ashed over briqs in a depression in the top of the unlit LUMP, but I often load a layer or two of "natural" briquettes on the bottom.

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
MisterChrister
is Blowin Smoke!

When I had my WSM I got wicked long burns on lump. Unfoiled butts at 250 til done no problem. I did use some KBB in it though.........a dozen briquettes in the chimney until the flavor was out of it to get the lump lit. Just my $0.02, YMMV

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I have to Call BS on Lump not lasting or doing well with the Minion method. I use lump in my UDS I have since the first burn 3 yrs ago 10 lb will go 20+ hrs. I use Lump in the Kettle with the ring of fire and get 16 hr burns at 275. You can BS a BSh*t'er but son you can't Snow the Iceman.
Please do tell of your method, I would love to get those kind of burn times.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #23
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
+1 I put a 20 lb bag of B&B oak lump in my UDS and it will last in excess of 30+hrs. Some people like the predictability of kbb but your trading that clean natural flavor of lump for borax, lime, random Charwood including cedar and who knows what else. I have already done the test of 20 lbs of lump compared to 20 lbs of kbb @275, lump won by a landslide. The kbb ashes up and is not that great for long cooks without refueling. They are great for grilling IMO but I can't stand them for smoking. All of my YouTube videos of me cooking are with lump. I have tried the briquettes a few times, but the flavor just ain't right, so I'm done with em! Good luck on your future cooks. A good sealed cooker is the utmost important factor for stable temps and low fuel consumption.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Please do tell of your method, I would love to get those kind of burn times.
It's no big secret. In the UDS.> a small layer of lump on hte bottom two chunks of Wood another layer to cover the chunks more wood 90 deg off the last layer, top it off with lump. light up a 1/3 of a chimney of Cheap HEB briquettes to light it up. after a 10 min burn drop in the drum add a chunk of wood on top.

In the Weber I use 14" ring to set up the chain top it with chunks pull the ring, add a drip pan, light one end, adj the vents and let it do it's thing. The only maintenance is to rotate the lid 90 deg every 4 hrs so the exhaust is opposite the fire.

ring removed

6 hrs into the cook.

13 hrs ( if you look close at the 10 o'clock there is a wisp of smoke where the fire is) enough fuel left for 3- 4 hrs more.

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I could never figure out why people are so anal about getting whitish smoke from wood and declaring how it hurts the food, but they'll shut food up in a barrel for hours with smoldering Kingsford charcoal briquettes that smell like burning diesel fuel-soaked plastic unless they're ashed over. I can't stand the taste of anything cooked over unashed briquettes-might as well use lighter fluid as that white, noxious-chemical smelling smoke that comes off of them until they turn white. Kinda like using old plastic milk jugs for fuel. I can't stand to be anywhere near a chimney of briquettes until they get all the nasty crap burned off of them, and I sure don't want my food to taste like that crap smells.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #26
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Well I bought a bag of stubbs briquettes. It says the binder is veg oil. We'll see how it does this weekend. Any suggestions on what to smoke in an offset?
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #27
jmoney7269
Banned

Gnaws on Pigs,
I was definitely thinkin it! There are some die hard briquette cookers out there! I aint one.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
funugy
Full Fledged Farker

I am confident in using Kingsford Briq's. That is what I started with. Over the past few months I have been trying different lump brands, not much choice around here, and I can say that I am happy with the results. My gripe is the quality control of the lump. It seems every bag that I get has a LOT of small pieces and dust in the bag.

I guess I just gotta get over it as once it is done burning I have less ash with lump compared to briq's. It's just that I have more waste at the beginning with the lump.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default My .02 cents

When I was first starting I would get over excited about spikes in temp. Now I just relax and try not to look at the temps too much. It will come out tatsing great and lump will taste better then briquets.

Just gate down the intake a bit...

Good luck and enjoy!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #30
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

I have used both lump and Kingsford Blue, and had good luck with both. As stated above with lump you have to make sure that it is tightly packed to get good burn times. Wicked Good lump is the best out there. I use Kingsford Blue most of the time based solely on cost. I don't see enough of benefit to lump to justify paying more.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote