The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #61
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
If weber has any plans on a kamado, none of us know about it, and it probably wouldn't go into effect for a long while
Weber just burnt itself out with the 21 new accessories they just unveiled in 21days. I think they are tapped out for a few years, at least as far as innovation goes.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #62
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

no Akorn at the HD today.

Unread 06-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #63
cropduster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
I think this new cart model is pretty interesting, but to be honest, it's neither a deal breaker or deal maker for me, personally, and given my cooking space, I like the mobility of the old tripod version. I've been going back and forth between getting an Akorn or a ceramic kamado for months now, and have decided with the cookers I already own, the Akorn will suit my needs nicely, and with no regrets. I'm likely to pull the trigger on a standard 3-wheel Akorn before the weekend.

That said, I'm going to be really interested in following this cooker and it's marketing. Am I the only one that has to wonder if a kamado maker seems to be squarely modeling itself after a Weber product with similar price point, you'd have to think there has to have been a meeting at Weber at some point weighing the pros and cons of entering the kamado market -- particularly the steel body one given their quality in that area and the way the Steel Keg and Akorn marketing has gone so far... right?
I think you are correct and now that Weber, as of April 2013 has discontinued the Ducane line of gas grills, its entirely possible that we see Ducane kamados. It only makes sense.
cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #64
Grain Belt
Full Fledged Farker

Weber dominates the charcoal grill market. They dominate the 400-550 market with their Spirit line. They dominate the 650-850 market with their Genesis line. Their Summit line does very well at 1700+. The WSM does quite well. If I was part of their team I would just continue to design and innovate within their areas of greatness. They certainly could throw us a curve and get into the Kamado world but I don't really see it.
Grain Belt is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #65
cropduster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
Weber dominates the charcoal grill market. They dominate the 400-550 market with their Spirit line. They dominate the 650-850 market with their Genesis line. Their Summit line does very well at 1700+. The WSM does quite well. If I was part of their team I would just continue to design and innovate within their areas of greatness. They certainly could throw us a curve and get into the Kamado world but I don't really see it.
All of what you state is true, but why kill...or let die the Ducane brand?
One could argue that Weber was competing with themselves with both the Ducane Affinity line and the Spirit line. So discontinuing the Affinity line might make some strategic sense. But Ducane is still a solid brand that Weber paid a lot for. Would make perfect business sense to sell a new(to Weber) product line in clearly growing market segment.
cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote