The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #31
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

We mostly buy spares. I like them because we cut them down to St. Louie. Then we take the rib tips and cook them up for snacks on game day. Also put them in beans. Just more bang for my buck.

Check us out on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
Just BS
Take a breath!

I used to only cook BB's because that what I thought were the best ribs. Then I joined the Brethren, built an UDS, stopped precooking and basically learned the errors of my ways. Now I exclusively do spares trimmed to St Louis style, because I think they taste better, have more meat and "eat" better.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #33
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a spare rib kinds guy. I don't understand paying the same or more for less meat. The only reason BBs are so famous is because restaurants use them and Chilli's had the cool jingle for it.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET73, Maverick ET72

Check out my all things food (and movies) blog One Nine 3 Blog or at my Facebook Page

If you're a fellow Carolina Brethren come join us and be a part of the region where BBQ was born in America.
Cack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow, I guess I need to try spares again. The ones I've had had were way too fatty. Most of the BB's I've had were meaty and delicious.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #35
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I really like BB's, but with the higher cost it's been hard for me to justify buying them. I'm pretty happy with my St. Louis style cooks as of late, but after checking the price per lb. vs. spares, I've switched to buying spares and trimming them myself St. Louie style. Then I gots leftover meat for beans, chili, whatever.

I am due to make some BB's though, it's been a while.

Last edited by J-Rod; 02-06-2013 at 02:55 PM..
J-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #36
DubfromGA
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Dixon Bowhunta View Post
Spares trimmed up St Louis style.
Yup.

Total agreement.

Unread 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #37
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

I prefer spares over BBs for the fact that they contain more fat. As the fat renders, it creates all that yummy flavor and moisture. Someone here mentioned not liking spares as much for fat content. I think it's possible they weren't cooking long enough or hot enough to render the fat out.

Someone also mentioned spares tasted hammy compared to BBS. I have never experienced that. Sounds more like a salt application issue or "enhanced" ribs. This is why people make it a point to not let pork sit in a high sodium rub for more than a couple hours. To avoid non intentional curing. To me, overnight resting of a pork product with a salty rub has been on the "don't ever do this" list for a long time, yet people still seem to think it's OK to do this with their pork. If you want ham, buy ham.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #38
koko1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

If out at a restaurant I prefer baby back for some reason. At home spares. Around here bbs are usually $2 higher per pound. I can get 2 slabs of spares for $16-20 where one baby back slab will cost almost that for one.
koko1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #39
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu1971 View Post
You gotta love auto correct on iPhones. I meant I prefer BBs.
Lol! There is a website of just auto-correct fails....too funny.