MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Knife Skills

I recall someone on the site talking about setting up a knife skills class some time ago and not sure what happened to that. I just took a class this weekend in NYC Institute of Culinary Education on knife skills. It was a three hour course and I would really recommend taking something like this if you have a chance. It was very informative but what I found most striking about it was to discover that there was basically nothing that I have been doing right with a knife in some 40 years of cooking

Ooops
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

That class sounds great.

I have learned a lot looking at knife skills on YouTube. Things like "pinch grip" and "claw grip" are pretty well covered. "Japanese knife skills" brings up some good stuff too.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Great idea.

My lack of skill is not unlike a low budget slasher film.

I really do need to upgrade and get a couple of decent knives and learn how to maintain their edge.

I really want a good santuko.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, knife skills are probably the most important thing when it comes to home cooking, at least in my opinion. Quality ingredients, marrying of flavors, being able to construct a recipe all on your own are all important too, but lack of any of these things don't end up with chunks of your finger falling to the floor, and blood spurting all over your high quality ingredients that are about to be married to perfection.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzybadger View Post
Yep, knife skills are probably the most important thing when it comes to home cooking, at least in my opinion. Quality ingredients, marrying of flavors, being able to construct a recipe all on your own are all important too, but lack of any of these things don't end up with chunks of your finger falling to the floor, and blood spurting all over your high quality ingredients that are about to be married to perfection.
Knife skills prevent the self mutilation but it also enforces that you need to keep your cuts as uniform as possible for even cooking. This way you don't end up with some uncooked, cooked, and overcooked pieces of food in a single pot.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
I recall someone on the site talking about setting up a knife skills class some time ago and not sure what happened to that.
That was me and it's still going to happen. I had to put a few things on hold this winter to deal with some elderly parental issues.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
That was me and it's still going to happen. I had to put a few things on hold this winter to deal with some elderly parental issues.
Sure wish you were closer.
Dave

Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I learned knife skills some years (decades) back and it is something I greatly value. It just makes everything a lot simpler to accomplish in the kitchen.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
It was very informative but what I found most striking about it was to discover that there was basically nothing that I have been doing right with a knife in some 40 years of cooking Ooops
care to expound on that???

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

ICE has some great classes.

Working in Manhattan daily, with a 2 hr min commute each way, I look for a class on Friday nights. I see that now it is taught by someone else and they now have this class on some Friday nights. They never used to have a knife skills class on Friday nights, but then it used to be taught by someone else, Norman Weinstein - I did pick up his book though, Mastering Knife Skills: The Essential Guide to the Most Important Tools in Your Kitchen.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote