Question about name of fatties

tx_hellraiser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I read about fatty but what is the real name at the grocery store I want to pick one up

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Breakfast sausage in a log.

Jimmy-Dean.jpg

These happen to be my two favorites. Jimmy Dean maple is the best.

Sometimes I buy fresh ground breakfast sausage in a shrink wrapped package.
I will just form it into a round cylinder and use that. I love the fresh ground stuff from a store where they make their own. I have a little farm market with a huge fresh meat department. Seems to me less fat in their product.

Oooooo, here is a fatty trivia challenge. What brand of breakfast sausage log was used to make the very first fatty.

BTW, I have no farking idea. :becky:

CD

Yep as stated, jsut any breakfast sausage you want in a cylinder.

Oooooo, here is a fatty trivia challenge. What brand of breakfast sausage log was used to make the very first fatty.

BTW, I have no farking idea. :becky:

CD

Well, you should. It's in the KCQuer Roadmap To The Q-Talk Forum :-D

We don't have a record of what Brother Smokey Pig used when he cooked the first sausage log, but when Brother Big Dog coined the name fatty is was Jimmy Dean hot.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8014

Jimmy Dean hot is my favorite sausage of all time. Give it a try too sometime, the maple is good too but no where near as good as the hot to me! But forewarning, the hot is pretty spicy! I've made milk gravy with it before and you sure don't need much black pepper when you use it!

Would these sausage in a roll, be a complete mix?
like herbs and all?Different meat mixes.
cheers.
Titch

Would these sausage in a roll, be a complete mix?
like herbs and all?Different meat mixes.
cheers.
Titch

They are typically seasoned, but all pork.I'm sure you can find some that are a mix, but the ones that most guys use for fatties is pork.

when it comes to store bought for fatties...I've always been a Bob Evan's kinda guy...maybe because it's a local or somewhat local item? As one member stated, I have gotten hooked on store made breakfast sausage (when I run out of my own) but yet to try it in a fatty. It's on my bucket list!

when it comes to store bought for fatties...I've always been a Bob Evan's kinda guy...maybe because it's a local or somewhat local item? As one member stated, I have gotten hooked on store made breakfast sausage (when I run out of my own) but yet to try it in a fatty. It's on my bucket list!

I agree that home made or fresh is best, but unwrap, cook and eat is so easy :-D

Well, you should. It's in the KCQuer Roadmap To The Q-Talk Forum :-D

We don't have a record of what Brother Smokey Pig used when he cooked the first sausage log, but when Brother Big Dog coined the name fatty is was Jimmy Dean hot.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8014

Thank you Ronelle, for answering my question -- in a typically whackadoodle fashion. :boink:

On a side note, Maple sausage sucks for fatties, IMHO. I haven't tried a hot Jimmy Dean, yet, but I'm thinking I will, soon. I think a sausage needs to have some bold flavor to stand up to the smoke. Fatties really absorb smoke -- to the point that they can be too smokey.

I feel the same way about rubs. A little bit can go a long way on a log of breakfast sausage.

CD

Back