The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Thinking about doing it

I have cooked for several private events for people I know, and have more requests. So I was wondering if it is worth it to get licensed or a certificate or w/e I need in Indiana to be a caterer. Does anyone have any feedback on the headaches it takes to get licensed in Indiana? I know catering can be a lot of work, that doesn't bother me as I already cook for large events, 100+ people, just wondering about the legal headaches.

Unread 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Getting sued and being unlicensed is a lot bigger headache!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Smoke House Moe
Knows what a fatty is.

Jump in and worry about the landing later.
Of course there are headaches. Move past them.
You are on this forum and already cook for large parties. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it's a great start.
It's hard to foretell how your experience with the legal stuff will be. Reach out to you Heath department. Google "starting a food business in Indiana"
Just remember, no matter how much bs you have to deal with, you would have more if you were starting up in Southern California or Minnesota.

Unread 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Not sure about Indiana specifics but the legal side is not bad as long as you have patience. The biggest frustration that I have has is dealing with the IRS, they will fine you $500 in a heart beat for making mistakes.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
erandolph
Got Wood.

First and foremost, do your research. Call the Dept of Health and see what their requirements are. Do you need to be serv-safe certified in your area? In my opinion that was the biggest hurdle we faced, the Dept of Health requirements and stipulations. . No longer can you prepare items in your home, if you are going to be licensed you best secure a commercial kitchen or commissary license. Contact your insurance company and start getting qoutes for business insurance, workers comp, disability and commercial auto. A personal auto policy will not cover you if you are traveling for an event and get into an accident. I have had no issues with the IRS and setting up the legal entity just takes time and money. You can save yourself a lot but doing it yourself or using a service like legalzoom.
erandolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
mmcooker
Found some matches.

I agree with the last post, you will need to start a corporation and transfer your vehicle to a corporate policy, paid helpers need to file a 1099 for tax purposes, you will have to file for and pay state and local sales taxes on food items sold, pay rent to commissary for space. I use a quicken pro book keeper, accountant for taxes and lawyer for legal assistance to set up corp. and file yearly reports. Good Luck
mmcooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Most people dont become legit because of the costs involved.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My business BOOMED after becoming legal. It was the best business decision I ever made. It's funny how people associate professionalism with legality. And they would be right.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

Sounds like more trouble than its worth, I think I'll pass.

Unread 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Smoke House Moe
Knows what a fatty is.

Marwendholt,

We are just being real. Being on this forum can make the whole process much easier. One thing that worked for me was to network with other caterers. They are very helpful.
I reached out to about 10 caterers; 4-5 responded with a helpful email; 2 allowed me to buy them a coffee and answer some of my questions; 1 of those two has become a mentor and a great resource.

If you have determined catering is not for you, keep cooking some great Q and we are still happy to have you here.