The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Jmincher
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Best method for my first brisket...

I'm going to be trying my first brisket this weekend on my WSM 18 1/2. Has anyone had good results using the smoke and oven finish method? Got a suggestion for a good rub?

Hopefully the weather holds out. Supposed to be a balmy 47 degrees in St. Louis.

Thanks!
Jmincher is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
cirk
is One Chatty Farker

Get a point no flat, smoke till you got a great bark wrap in butcher paper and smoke till probe goes through like butter.

Unread 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Here ya go.

This might be easier to navigate and really is all you need to look at for yer first.

Long story short - rub it with coarse salt & pepper, and cook it till it's probe tender. Let it rest at least an hour, slice against the grain, and enjoy.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirk View Post
Get a point no flat, smoke till you got a great bark wrap in butcher paper and smoke till probe goes through like butter.
Points are very hard to find around here. Buy a packer, not just a flat or a piece of a flat. I prefer 12-15 lbs. You can always vac-u-suck the leftovers or use them in chili or tacos or a bunch of other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Long story short - rub it with coarse salt & pepper, and cook it till it's probe tender. Let it rest at least an hour, slice against the grain, and enjoy.
It's hard to beat this advice :) I would just add to cook it at 250 - 275 pit temp.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would say, that a good rub to start out with is about 50/50 kosher salt and medium grind black pepper. If you want to get fancy, then 40/40 salt and pepper and 10/10 granulated garlic and chile powder.

Yes, if you smoke the meat for at least to the point it gets good color, then move it to the oven, you can get good results. I smoke until the color is almost right, then wrap in two layers of butcher paper, pop in a large pan and into the oven. The pan is just to prevent clean up issues if the paper leaks.

my preferred way...
Use a whole packer, in the 12 to 14 pound range, simple rub. Then fire the cooker (I use a UDS) and run it around 275F to 280F. I will often place the meat, unwrapped on the cooker at 225F and let the temperature run up to 270F, adjust the vents and try to hold it at 280F. Once the meat has been on for around 2 hours, I check for color, if it is a nice deep red, with some darker spots, I wrap. If not, I wait until it is, then I wrap, with two layers of butcher paper. Run in the smoker until the flat probes very tender. Remove and pop in 195F oven or into a cooler for at least 2 hours. Total time in cooker is often between 7 and 9 hours. I usually start my cook allowing for 12 hours total to serving.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

12+ lb packers, 50/50 K salt & 16 mesh Black Pepper or Dirty Dalmatian.
Pit at 300 cook for 4 hrs wrap in butcher paper continue to cook
Remove from pit when it is probe tender, leave it wrapped set on a sheet pan pop a thermo in the center
When the Temp drops in to the 150''s carve against the grain 1/4" thick slices.
Never carve more that you need as it helps to retain the moisture.

Last edited by Bludawg; 01-31-2013 at 05:32 PM..
Bludawg is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Agreed. Salt, pepper and smoke is all you need

Unread 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

If doing a whole packer, don't worry about the point section, probe the flat, that's what should be probe tender.

I think blu was meaning to say 1/4" slices above.

Leftovers can be used in many dishes. One of my faves is chili. Smoked brisket chili is heavenly.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
I think blu was meaning to say 1/4" slices above.
14" slices are nice, too

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fat fingers tiny keys. All fixed.

Unread 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
BobM
Babbling Farker