The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default My first PRON for the Brethren- Pork Butts

Not sure if this is going to work or not. Trying to imbed a youtube video with this post. If it does, great, if not just click on the link.

Last Saturday we catered the meat and beans for a friends birthday party. Two 8lb butts (raw weight), and a big 'ole pot of home made beans (nothing we do is store bought, all from scratch including rubs and sauces) for about 20 people. Must of been a hit as there was only enough left over for 2 sammies. In fact, I just heard from the birthday girl and she is not only paying for another butt for this Saturday for herself, she is furnishing a second butt for us to do for ourselves!

Here is a video of the pull. This has to be one of the best butts we have done in a long time! There are other videos there of the whole process, including the rub and recipe in the video notes.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/G7i_J5OG-hM

This is only the second time I have foiled a butt, but from now on they all get foiled!

Unread 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Well done, when they ask for it again you done good!

Unread 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
qnbiker
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never seen that much juice from a butt before. When did you foil it? Did you add apple juice or something?

BTW, looks good.

Unread 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

Foiled it 6 hours in @ about 150-155 degrees. Only added about 1/4, MAYBE 1/2 cup apple juice. No lack of moisture in the meat at pulling time. Reserved some of the juice back in a fat separator and there really wasn't that much fat either. Farmer Johns all natural Butts, I even checked the ingredients tab to make sure it wasnt pre brined or injected with a solution. Beats me where the extra came from, and I did trim about a pound and a half of fat off in the prep the night before.

Unread 01-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

That really Looks Great !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

Thought I would throw a few pics in too.

What we started with:

4 hours in:

6 hours and time to foil:

Off, rested, sampled and ready to pull:

Pan 'O pork

The all important wood pile. I have learned how to run my el cheapo stick burner pretty efficiently and didnt even use half of it on 11 hours for the pork and 3 more for some chicken: