MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Gardendogs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Tip steak Marinade time

I have a couple of tip steaks and need to know the best way to cook them. I know it's a tough cut of meat ( so I have heard at least ) I'm thinking o maybe slicing it thin in the end and maybe doing sandwiches or tacos. Anyways I probably should start with a good marinade so lets start there.
Gardendogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not sure what a tip steak is. Do you mean tri-tip?
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Gardendogs

The sirloin tip steak lies at the top of the round or hip, and above the sirloin tip lies the top sirloin which is joined to the shortloin, which means the top sirloin will be somewhat more tender than the tip.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Gardendogs

I think

Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Well, it sounds like it comes from the same part of the cow, if not the same cut. For tri-tip, I go with a very simple marinade: cheap (but drinkable) red wine and a few crushed garlic cloves. I usually marinate in that for 1-4 hours, then rub and reverse sear.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg

Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
ColdFyre
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezmatt View Post
Well, it sounds like it comes from the same part of the cow, if not the same cut. For tri-tip, I go with a very simple marinade: cheap (but drinkable) red wine and a few crushed garlic cloves. I usually marinate in that for 1-4 hours, then rub and reverse sear.
Ok, that sounds pretty damned good.... I think I need to go to costco and get me a pack of tri-tips now!
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

In case you want the full recipe:

Chezmatt's Sonoma County Tri-tip

Marinate tri-tip for up to four hours in red wine and 4-6 cloves of crushed garlic. While it's marinating, mix your rub:

1 tbsp kosher salt 1 tbsp paprika 1 tbsp garlic powder 2 tsp black pepper 1 tsp cayenne pepper

Remove the tri-tip from the marinade, and thoroughly coat tri-trip with the rub at least half an hour prior to cooking. Leave the tri-tip at room temperature to take the chill off and let the rub set.

While that's setting, heat one side of grill with the lid closed until thermometer temp reads around 300.

Place tri-tip on cool side of grill and cook until internal temp is 125. Can take anywhere from 45-90 minutes, depending on size, temp, etc.

Remove from grill, bring hottest part of grill up to highest possible heat. Let tri-tip rest under foil while grill heats up.

Once the grill is hot, sear the tri-tip until the rub darkens (usually about 2 min per side, but let the color be your guide).

Remove from heat, and tent with foil. Allow to rest AT LEAST 15 minutes before carving. If you need to let it rest longer, tightly double-wrap in foil. It should hold temp for a while.

Carve thinly, across the grain (should be long slices running the length of the roast).