עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #31
Q Junkie
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I've heard of a few brethren planting briskets in their yards, but I never heard if any of them grew.

I plant mainly herbs.
I had to bury a brisket once and as it turns out it did not grow.
So I try to limit my garden to tomatoes, chillies, and herbs. I have voracious rabbits here that will eat ANYTHING. They grazed on a 300' tape measure that I left out, the kids rubber water toys will not last overnight. I even installed artificial turf because they destroyed the lawn, but I still have places in the new turf that they have been eating, so I have to enclose the garden in chicken wire or they would have their way with that as well.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a longtime gardener and suggest growing garlic. It's one of the easiest things for me to grow. I'm not sure of the timing for planting anywhere else, but here in So. New England we plant ~Columbus Day and harvest ~end of July.

It's been a "set it and forget" crop for me. Basically, you remove the individual cloves from the bulb and plant them root side down (pointy side up) about 2" deep, 6" apart, in rows ~12" apart, mulch w/ straw ~6" deep, water, and wait.

In the spring I spray it w/ some liquid nitrogen when the foliage is ~8" high. That's it, other than watering if nature doesn't provide.

Like anything else, homegrown garlic tastes 50x better than store-bought!

Last edited by charrederhead; 01-25-2013 at 04:20 PM..
charrederhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #33
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
This thread definitely wants to make me give this a shot. I have always wanted to grow fresh herbs, just haven't ever had much luck with them indoors.
I've never had success with herbs grown indoors, but my outdoor herb gardens do great. My thyme, oregano and rosemary survive all year long. I have to replant the basil every spring.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #34
BBQdisciple
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraman View Post
Planning on growing some of the food we cook this year. We are thinking of doing at least one raised bed and some random pots. I know we want to attempt tomatoes, peppers and some herbs. Anyone have some suggestions for us brown thumbs?

We have a small backyard and I am in hot northern California.

Any ideas appreciated.

I only grow what I can grill. sounds like you got the basics, but add some squash and zucchini. easy to grow, slice long ways and sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar (I love to sprinkle cavendars on top of that), Great veggies for the grill

Last edited by BBQdisciple; 01-25-2013 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: I put Balsamic AND vinegar, didn't want to sound like an idiot
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

You drink beer right? Well here's how to get a "2fer" out of it:
http://www.theecologist.org/green_gr...ertiliser.html

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #36
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
I had to bury a brisket once and as it turns out it did not grow.
So I try to limit my garden to tomatoes, chillies, and herbs. I have voracious rabbits here that will eat ANYTHING. They grazed on a 300' tape measure that I left out, the kids rubber water toys will not last overnight. I even installed artificial turf because they destroyed the lawn, but I still have places in the new turf that they have been eating, so I have to enclose the garden in chicken wire or they would have their way with that as well.
So how does smoked bunny taste?
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #37
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

Gardening? I don't know much about it except what I learned from my farmer relatives and The University of Tennessee Department of Agriculture and Plant Sciences. I currently farm 2.5 acres of vegetables but have to cut back this next year because of some physical problems. Might have to sell a tractor or two also. My best advise to anyone interested in gardening is forget the magazines and such and go talk to your County Extension Agent. Tell he or she exactly what you want to due. Next would be a soil sample evaluation with recommendations. These folks know what they're talking about and it's their job to teach you. If that does not give excellent results I'll give you all the free information you want because it's my job too.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #38
AussieTitch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Gardening? I don't know much about it except what I learned from my farmer relatives and The University of Tennessee Department of Agriculture and Plant Sciences. I currently farm 2.5 acres of vegetables but have to cut back this next year because of some physical problems. Might have to sell a tractor or two also. My best advise to anyone interested in gardening is forget the magazines and such and go talk to your County Extension Agent. Tell he or she exactly what you want to due. Next would be a soil sample evaluation with recommendations. These folks know what they're talking about and it's their job to teach you. If that does not give excellent results I'll give you all the free information you want because it's my job too.

You not that bloke in Green Acres are you?
cheers.
Titch
AussieTitch is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #39
Q Junkie
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogee View Post
So how does smoked bunny taste?
So far, I have the pellet gun set to stun but I am starting to feel a little like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack and might just start light'n-em-up with a full pump.

Unread 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #40
Q Junkie
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
You drink beer right? Well here's how to get a "2fer" out of it:
http://www.theecologist.org/green_gr...ertiliser.html
Peeing in the backyard is a Mans' God Given Right. In fact I see it as Being One With My Environment. I do try to limit it to the compost bin but it still makes me feel as though I am giving something back.

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #41
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

Moved 50 cement pavers in to position for the walls of the raised bed. Next step tear out what is there now.

Husband, Father and well...that is the important stuff. (Not so super fast White Pocket Thermometer, WSM, Char-Griller Gasser with awesome Grillgrates)
basuraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #42
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I don't know how big you are going. But I have always wanted to get some of these and plant peppers in them.

http://www.gardensocks.com/Home_Page.html

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #43
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals

This past year, we had quite a bit of success with potatoes, kale, cabbage, and garlic. We did get some tomatoes, but they weren't terribly big. Garlic was already planted for this spring (in late October)... looking forward to growing even more potatoes!