The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
lkissell
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Like many others I use PepperPlate.

It's really helped me organize my recipes.

Unread 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

I use Evernote. Either the web clipper or just copy and paste. I love how it syncs between my phone and laptop, so if I always have access.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
BAD324
Got Wood.

glad this was posted, been thinking the same for a bit now and gonna give Evernote a try. I know other parts of my life this would come in handy
BAD324 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #19
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

I use paprika. It's an app for the iPhone. Works great for me.

Unread 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
smokeylips
Knows what a fatty is.

I use Paprika too! I love it. I have an ipad and I like that I can set it on the counter and the app keeps my ipad awake the whole time I'm using it. I keep untested recipes in the uncatorigized section. When I try them if I like it I put it into the categories that apply or delet it. The app is easy to create recipes with off the Internet and a lot of websites it just grabs it and does it. I think it's my favorite app
smokeylips is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
cricky101
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by posey's_pork_pit View Post
Pepperplate ~ it's a wonderful thing!
I used to use Evernote and even just a directory in my email and would send copies of recipes to myself. Recently I started using Pepperplate and love it. Now my wife and I both use it (share one account). We even both add to the shopping list feature on it so if one of us goes grocery shopping after work, we know what we need.

On supported sites, the "Add to Pepperplate" bookmarklet is awesome! But even copying/pasting is easy enough too.
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
tduffy
Knows what a fatty is.

I use evernote for everything recipe and BBQ related. Syncs between all my devices so I have access to everything on my laptop, desktop, iphone and ipad.

Unread 01-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #23
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by posey's_pork_pit View Post
Pepperplate ~ it's a wonderful thing!
Yup! Pepperplate is my go to for recipes.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

The ones online I save to a folder in my email, that way I ca. Get access anywhere.

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
Lupus
Found some matches.

+1 for Paprika.

I'm new to the Q, but have other culinary interests and have been slowly compiling my recipes in here as well.
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
GMDGeek
Take a breath!

I use a Database with a Recipe interface in combination with my Tablet. The app also allows for printing so I do have a hard copy. When I get home I'll post the name of the app.

Unread 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #27
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

Great ideas. I spend most of my time on my iPhone or iPad. The rest of my recipes are in traditional cookbooks. Trying to figure out how best to copy online recipes and quickly access cookbook recipes. I need to check out paprika or pepper plate. Anyone concerned about these companies folding at some point and losing recipes?
2 22" Weber Silvers and 1 22" Weber Gold
King Pig UDS
Tejas Charcoal 2452 Grill, 28" discada
Char Griller King Kamado
1 Smokey Joe and 1 Mini WSM
Currently building a 22' Portable Kitchen [URL="http://www.bullybbq.com"]www.bullybbq.com[/URL]
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I save my recipes as simple text files on my PC. If I see a recipe in a book I like, I practice my keyboard skills and type it in. That way I can make all the units the way I want them. For example, rather than typing "2 tablespoons" many authors write "2 T." or "2 tbsp" but I like the whole word. And I like my ingredient list not numbered and single spaced. Things like that. Having spent many years in front of a keyboard I can type at over 80 wpm so it doesn't take very long.

In my recipes directory are several subdirectories, BBQ, Ethnic, Baking, Salads and so on.

When I am going to cook, I print out the recipe and take it to the kitchen. If it gets all oily or soiled, I just pitch it. In fact, I generally pitch it anyway.

I also have a few compendium directories like a huge batch of sausage recipes I got somewhere once. They are all in html format and it wasn't worth it to me to transcribe them or edit them to text so I just keep them under my Projects->Smoker->BBQ recipes directory.

My recipe files are named names that I chose. For example, I once found a wonderful Hungarian cookbook and copied a recipe for Sült Karfiol Tojással. Did I name the file that? Heck, no! I named it bakedCauliflowerWithEggs.txt because that way I have a chance of being able to tell what the recipe is without having to open it. Within most of my lowest level directories containing actual recipe files, I usually have a directory called To Try Someday, where I keep recipes that I have kept but haven't made yet.

And yes, I back up my PC.

I only own a few actual cookbooks. "Joy Of Cooking", plus "Louisiana Cooking" by Paul Prudhomme, plus "Sultan's Kitchen" which is a wonderful Turkish cookbook but I can't remember the author's name right now. Maybe a couple of others.

To make something for the first time, as I just did Brunswick stew for example, I often read several online recipes until I see what's going on and then I pick and choose the way I am going to try making it. I'll type it in, and make it that way, then if I decide to change something I make a note on the printed out page and bring it back to my PC later and edit the recipe file. That's how I "dial in" recipes.

Sorry for the long post!

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #29
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
I use evernote for everything recipe and BBQ related. Syncs between all my devices so I have access to everything on my laptop, desktop, iphone and ipad.
A great tool that lets you format recipes in Evernote: http://kustomnote.com/newNoteSelect/

Unread 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #30
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
My OS is Linux,I created a file in My documents folder called" Cook Book" with sub folders for different categorizes IE; BBQ with sub folders> Sauces>Rubs> Beef> Pork> Chicken. I
Windows is my OS, and I also create folders and sub-folders for categories and grouping.

I save them as plain text as they can then be imported into any program, or copied into an e-mail or a message post here as well.