The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
DubfromGA
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
This is a really cool set with all the knives you really need and a nice carrying case to boot.

But for a home set I would use a knife block for safe storage.

Was thinking either a block or a wall magnet strip.

Unread 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #17
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

I only use that set for my bbq cooks but im getting some of the same knives for the kitchen but i like the magnetic knife bars for storage rather than a knife block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
Missed-Em
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Against the grain of most on this post, but I went to a smoking class and the subject of knives came up. The responce was "go to Sam's and by them, 2 for $10, use them and pitch when they no longer hold an edge".

But...he who dies with the most toys wins
Missed-Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missed-Em View Post
Against the grain of most on this post, but I went to a smoking class and the subject of knives came up. The responce was "go to Sam's and by them, 2 for $10, use them and pitch when they no longer hold an edge".

That works too.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #20
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
Done!

Knives and boards will be had !

Mine, all mine.

Nope to tha curlin iron. Ma hair is too short.
Thank goodness you have woken up. It is obvious good knives & and a proper cutting board do not ever need to see a dishwasher - a mechanical one that is.
Johni

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Why would a piece of steel stop holding an edge? Someone whisper to them and let them know how old they are so they go on strike and retire?

Only thing I can think of is if somehow it lost it's temper........

SAMs has a nice, large plastic cutting board at a good price. That is what I use for trimming brisket and pork butt before the smoke and for slicing afterwards.

Quote:

HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
Was thinking either a block or a wall magnet strip.
I recommend the magnetic strip. Most of our knives are in the drawer or knife block, but everyone in the house knows that the four knives on the magnetic wall mount are mine (3 chef's knives and a cleaver). Those knives never go in the dishwasher, they don't get dropped in the sink. They get hand washed and put back on the strip. It helps that I've got the strip in a corner over the sink, so they're hard for everyone else in the house to reach. (I'm 7" taller than my wife.)

Unread 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #23
HawgNationBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I do the same. I did however purchase a really nice electric knife sharpener which continually pays for itself. I use the SAMS Club knives and sharpen them before each competition.
-- Backwoods Competitor
-- Ugly Drum Smoker
-- XL BGE

HAWG Nation on Twitter: @HawgNationBBQ

www.TheBestMeatRub.com
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #24
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

My dad was an old time butcher, so I grew up with good knives and wooden butcher blocks.
On cutting boards...
I've got one cutting board that I made from a 2"X12", not fancy, but it was sanded then oiled, let it seep in, then oiled again. Several times over It was oiled and it's like an old trusty friend. I clean it, and oil it before I put it up. I've had it for about 40 years or so.

Buy a quality knife, clean it yourself, by hand, then put it up.
I have a whole drawer of old junk knives for others to use.
I sharpen them too.

I have 1/2 dozen Meat Cleavers in different sizes and shapes. They don't get much use now a days.
Still great for butchering an occasional deer or hog.

I don't have much use for plastic cutting boards or the paper thin cutting mats lots of folks use no a days.

Most old fogies seem to rely on real knives, wooden cutting boards,
Cast Iron cookware ect... Not to mention Old trucks, 12Ga. shotguns, and 1911 pistols. (Guilty on all counts)

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; 01-21-2013 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: format
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Take look at this. I've bought several sizes, everything from a prep table top for my cooking/smoker trailer to fish cleaning tables. Cuts good with a circular saw. Good produsts, shipping and customer service.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23751
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Wood boards are old news, plastic boards get dirty, can be cut, and obsorb juices and odors.

BAMBOO boards are the only way to go.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #27
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

Look at this:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...cutting-board/

Quote:
This dishwasher-safe cutting board is made in the USA of Richlite, an exceptionally durable wood-fiber composite that has been used in commercial kitchens for over 40 years.
  • Made of Richlite, a lightweight yet durable wood-fiber composite that won’t dull knives, harbor bacteria or absorb unwanted flavors and odors.
  • Has a convenient corner hole for hanging.
  • This NSF-certified board meets the high-level safety standards for professional kitchens
I got one of these in a package deal with a Wusthoff carving knife and have run it through the dishwasher a few times - it seems just fine after going through. I was talking with a woman at a kitchen store and she said she puts hers in the dishwasher "all the time".

The best cutting boards are the end grain type that cost the most but do not dull your knife. For a good one of those you are gonna pay $100 and up.
Oldhoss is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
DubfromGA
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
My dad was an old time butcher, so I grew up with good knives and wooden butcher blocks.
On cutting boards...
I've got one cutting board that I made from a 2"X12", not fancy, but it was sanded then oiled, let it seep in, then oiled again. Several times over It was oiled and it's like an old trusty friend. I clean it, and oil it before I put it up. I've had it for about 40 years or so.

Buy a quality knife, clean it yourself, by hand, then put it up.
I have a whole drawer of old junk knives for others to use.
I sharpen them too.

I have 1/2 dozen Meat Cleavers in different sizes and shapes. They don't get much use now a days.
Still great for butchering an occasional deer or hog.

I don't have much use for plastic cutting boards or the paper thin cutting mats lots of folks use no a days.

Most old fogies seem to rely on real knives, wooden cutting boards,
Cast Iron cookware ect... Not to mention Old trucks, 12Ga. shotguns, and 1911 pistols. (Guilty on all counts)

I love my Colts !!!

Shot the Commander a good bit today, in fact.

Met some buddies at one o their houses and smoked some wings and shot quite a few rounds, too.

Left the Gold Cups at home, though. Can't afford to keep them fed, too.

Checked the zero of my main deer rifle. All was well.

Unread 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #29
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

From a food science point of view, wood is best on each front, and surprisingly antibacterial qualities too...but don't dishwasher them.

Unread 01-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #30
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I recently had to have a new cabinet built so I could fit a new oven/stove in my Man Cave kitchen...

My friend who built this for me put on a beautiful black walnut and cherry top. I loved it so much I had him build me a cutting board out of the same material. This board is 15x20x1.5 and its almost too pretty to cut on...

He made this board for me for $80 which I think is a bargain after looking around for nice wood block cutting boards online. If you know a cabinetmaker or carpenter close by you might want to check into something like this...