The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
cameraman
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Mushy Butts

I cooked a couple of butts yesterday. At 190 I did my first probe. Resistance. At 195 I wiggled the bones, tight. Same at 200 but decided to probe after the wiggle. Mega butter. I threw the butts in the fridge and called it a night. Pulled them this morning and tasted a small bowl. Really tasty but kind of on the line of tender and mushy. Any thoughts?
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
BB-Kuhn
Full Fledged Farker

Get a new thermometer, maybe. And/or make sure you're probing the right area where it's the thickest and not near the bone.

You shouldn't have much or any resistance at 195. I usually remove and rest at 190 and it'll climb a bit more.

If you take it out at 200+, you'll still gain another 5-10 deg easily while it rests. If your thermometer was off by let's say just 10 degrees (not too hard to believe) you would have mushy 220 degree swine. Fridge may not save that. I'm sure it's still delicious, but mushy is not the best, obviously.

Try to do a calibration on your thermo. If it is off, either replace it or at least get a good idea where it's really at.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

"Temp" don't mean nothing except that is is time to "probe".

Sounds like your butts were, as you said, "on the line".

Just adjust your "feel" (not any temp) the next time and you will be spot on.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
I cooked a couple of butts yesterday. At 190 I did my first probe. Resistance. At 195 I wiggled the bones, tight. Same at 200 but decided to probe after the wiggle. Mega butter. I threw the butts in the fridge and called it a night. Pulled them this morning and tasted a small bowl. Really tasty but kind of on the line of tender and mushy. Any thoughts?
The internal temp is really irrelevant, but based on what I read above, you probed at 190 and they weren't ready. At 195 you wiggled the bone, but didn't probe. When you did probe again at 200 they were over cooked. So, sometime between 190 and 200 they were done, but since you didn't probe you missed it.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Guess I'm strange I like a Plump mushy Butt. When the bone pulls out it's done. Where they Enhanced Pork?? That stuff goes from good to paste in a 10th of a second.

Unread 01-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
cameraman
is Blowin Smoke!

It wasn't pasty, it was on the cusp between tender and mushy, not a total loss by any means but not the texture you hope for. Temps were good -- ET732 and a quick read dial thermo. Probe placement was good. I was not going by temp. I was using temp as a guide to starting my probe. I guess my point was the bone wiggle let me down. I mistakenly thought they were interchangeable tests. It was an RD butt btw.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp

Unread 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

When i probe it it is for tenderness not temp and i probe a few spots when i do, trying to avoid bone.

Unread 01-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
tish
Babbling Farker

Dave, I'm sure I'd have done the same thing. I wiggle that bone to see where I am. Maybe as you hit your 190s, it couldn't hurt to start probing no matter whether the wiggle is there, or not. I know I'll be checking sooner on my next one, based on your experience here.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
<'\__!
.// .\\ Puppy baby says 'piss on it and walk away!'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
cameraman
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
Dave, I'm sure I'd have done the same thing. I wiggle that bone to see where I am. Maybe as you hit your 190s, it couldn't hurt to start probing no matter whether the wiggle is there, or not. I know I'll be checking sooner on my next one, based on your experience here.
Yeah that's my take away too. I thought the two tests were interchangeable. Guess not.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp